FL Waterfowl 101

Discuss Florida duck hunting with other hunters alike.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, badandy970, BigBend, Belly up dux

Re: FL Waterfowl 101

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:59 pm

whaknstak wrote:You don't have to have $35 3.5" black cloud. I shoot the cheapest steel I can find, and it still kills ducks just as dead. And I can buy three boxes for the price of one high end. 3" #3s

This. I will buy 2 3/4" too because they are cheaper
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby FreedomHunter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:31 am

That's what I have been shooting found I have more success with #5 2/34 than anything. Lots of people use 2-4's, but I have been finding that I am better off letting them get CLOSER maybe 15-20 yards and those #5's drop them quick. Also I carry cheap #7's for clean up if its needed. I have way better chance of hitting their little heads bobbing in the water and its cheap. Just to be clear if you are trying to take longer shots do not use the number 5's maybe go to 3's.

My 20 year old Mossberg 500 kills ducks just as good as my new Stoeger 3500, but the Stoeger is just awesome for the money I paid.

Gheenoe's make great duck boats for two shooters and you can get them cheap. Unlike mine :huh:

Those guys at the boat ramp at 3 am drinking beer either can't read or didn't understand the first 45 pages of the firearms manual about drinking and guns. It is people like this that make those first 45 pages, DON'T BE ONE OF THEM.

If your new, use commonsense if you see someone flashing a light at you, you are to close.

Be patient, we were all new to this sport at one time and I am glad that I ran into people that understood my mistakes and made me want to be the same way. Instead of yelling at someone and being crude just let them know how they might want to change what they did, via you were to close to me.

Please for the love of God use commonsense, I was at the boat dock on the Monroe side the day the two men drowned in Lake Jessup last year. I decided against going out after an hour drive to the lake because the lake was so rough. Small boats and rough water do not mix and if your gut is saying not to go, trust that instinct. After that day, I wear my life vest going to and from my spots and I am grateful I decide to go home.
FreedomHunter
hunter

Postby Doodlejr. » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Don't underestimate the big open waters!! Hunt the rivers, lakes and large bays. They are plentiful. Have realistic expectations, you're not in Arkansas, if you see big ducks headed your way, it's not mallards. Teal and Ringnecks are common. 90% of my spread consists of teal, coots, and Ringnecks. I do throw in a "wildcard" to just spice things up. Mojos are useless by about the first of the year. By 6 wood duck decoys and a woody call. Always have a good wood duck hole for "plan b". Often times mine are in a creek tucked out of the weather. Look for areas off the beaten path. Spots that are difficult to reach, or spots that are simply overlooked can provide some of the best hunting. The general public has no idea ducks migrate to Florida, so if you show up at 7am on a lake that has houses on it and start popping caps, don't be surprised to see Johnny law at the ramp. This has happen to me several times and I've always been patient and used the opportunity to educate them on duck hunting and Florida regs.
Doodlejr.
hunter

Postby sbr01 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:33 am

SouthernWingsAssaultTeam wrote:
sbr01 wrote:Go to Gander Mountain and talk to an experienced duck hunter who work there.

Take notes, write them down. The guys I know are helpful and informative.

You won't have much luck the first or second time out, but if you go out early enough, you will get a feel for where the hunters are going, and when the shooting starts you'll know where to go next time.

Camo everything with all you got. Cover your face with the wine cork trick or whatever. Be very still.

If you moved down from NC and you love your Boykin Spaniel, leave him at home (gator bait).

That's all I got. Other than just go out and do it as much as you can to learn as you go.

It's fun and good luck!
Don't know about the shot chasing thing either... I think it's better to scout hard and find birds that 100 people aren't hunting already.

Sure, but if you're new to an area, it's just an idea. I learned a lot that way. I'm not saying don't scout......just sharing ideas that have worked before. Not everyone learns the exact same way, and no one will share secrets and great spots.....
sbr01
hunter

Postby sbr01 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:37 am

whaknstak wrote:
sbr01 wrote:If you moved down from NC and you love your Boykin Spaniel, leave him at home (gator bait).

On what fact or experience do you base this statement on? Have you ever worked a dog in the field?

I've seen gators in my spread. If you want to send your dog out, fine, I don't care. It's your dog, do what you want. Sorry for the suggestion.
sbr01
hunter

Postby Coonrod » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:00 am

Gator went after a friend's lab on the river the other day when he was snipe hunting. Gator eat dogs. Rolling the dice if it's warm.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Coonrod
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:36 am

Seems self explanatory, but pick up a reg book and actually read it. Waterfowl has the most in depth regulations of any game in the state, and it constantly changes year to year. Gotta stay on top of it
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby quackhunter99 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:16 pm

Got run out of my spread by a 9 foot gator thanksgiving morning while wade hunting. The gator was very active and aggressive
2 year old field bred English Cocker Spanial
16x56 Go devil Boat with 35 longtail
Wigeon with 7 horse Go devil
quackhunter99
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:19 pm

quackhunter99 wrote:Got run out of my spread by a 9 foot gator thanksgiving morning while wade hunting. The gator was very active and aggressive
This would really suck . So another thing on Waterfowl 101 , don't set a spread on a big gator's turf :yes:
dogyak
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:44 pm

dogyak wrote:
quackhunter99 wrote:Got run out of my spread by a 9 foot gator thanksgiving morning while wade hunting. The gator was very active and aggressive
This would really suck . So another thing on Waterfowl 101 , don't set a spread on a big gator's turf :yes:

I tend to just bring gold and garnet face paint with my spear... :hammer:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Previous

Return to Florida Duck Hunting