best way to get out into the marsh with all the equipment?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

best way to get out into the marsh with all the equipment?

Postby squirrel's_worst_nightmare » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:27 pm

im 15 and live in south Louisiana. My dad sold his mud boat right before I was born, because he didn't think i would want to duck hunt. Well the past couple year things changed. We have been hunting together since i was big enough to hold the .410 break barrel by myself (5). He bought a little 12 foot fiberglass hull boat with I believe a 15hp mercury outboard engine from the 90's about 4 years ago. Then, he bought me a Benelli Supernova 12 gauge (i have shot .410, 20 gauge, and so far 275 rounds of 12 gauge on trap shooting alone) Anyways, he wants to get back into duck hunting. We don't have the money to get a go devil surface drive motor anything like that, so we have to make due with what we have. we also have a fiberglass pirogue to use in the shallow water.

My dad's friend found a spot for us to hunt at, but we would have to get to the levee in the motorboat and then paddle in the pirogue to our spot because the water gets really shallow. the problem is, how would we get all the decoys, packs, guns, food, etc. from the main boat into the pirogue and then into the blind? also, i don't see a way to fit everything including the pirogue in the main boat. your suggestions?

also, would i need to get a pair of waders? or should hip boots work good enough?

lastly, should we invest in a pre made blind, or make a blind in the marsh from scratch? they have alligators and snakes and such out there, so im not sure.
squirrel's_worst_nightmare
Newb

Re: best way to get out into the marsh with all the equipmen

Postby handyandy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Waders are usually a must for duck hunting in water. And if it were me I'd try to tow the pirogue with the main boat with the pirogue loaded with some stuff that wont matter if it gets wet if it accidently flipped in tow, so I'd pack it with decoys and tow it. Strap them in good so if it were to flip in tow you don't lose them. Then you would just have to fit as much in the pirogue as you safely can you may just have to make two trips with it if need be. I'd just make a blind out of whatever is around where your hunting or hide in some brush or something around. I don't really know what the spot is like so it's hard to give real specific suggestions. Hunt with your dad as much as you can before you know it you'll be out of highschool and won't get the opportunity to do it as often. Hope this helps.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Waders and a decoy sled. you can always tow the sled with the small boat if you need more room.

we've had good luck with making quick blinds from surrounding cattails and etc. when not hunting from a layout blind, boat, or pit.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:44 am

If it is cattails or some kind of taller grass I would just get a marsh seat and sit a little ways back in the weeds. I don't know what the surrounding area is like though. Also why can't you just walk the rest of the way to the pothole from the dike? Although, I am a northern boy so I don't have to worry about gators and snakes in the dark! :lol3:
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby dbrown57 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:53 am

If its only shallow water then yes DECOY SLED!!! they work awesome. Before I bought a sled I was walking all my decoys in on my by back and that gets old after a mile in waste deep water. A sled will make your duck hunt so much easier and will actually help you get your decoys out faster and it gives you a place to keep your blind bags ect while waiting for the ducks! Good luck man
PRO STAFF FOR CRITTER DONE GAME CALLS
dbrown57
hunter

Postby drew_timothy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:52 am

Not sure if this applies or not, but in South Dakota we hunt lots of little potholes, or small lakes with shallow bays, and if i have to cross a few hundred yards of water or so, ill just take the decoys off my back, throw them down on the water, put my gun and blind bag on the decoys and float them to the spot. Dont have to go out a buy a sled in my opinion, decoys float all by themselves.
drew_timothy
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:32 pm

drew_timothy wrote:Not sure if this applies or not, but in South Dakota we hunt lots of little potholes, or small lakes with shallow bays, and if i have to cross a few hundred yards of water or so, ill just take the decoys off my back, throw them down on the water, put my gun and blind bag on the decoys and float them to the spot. Dont have to go out a buy a sled in my opinion, decoys float all by themselves.

still much less effort with a sled. It glides a lot faster/ smoother through water and you have something to keep your blind bag and gun in while setting decoys. also you can haul a lot more with a sled than just in a bag.

I always floated my texas rigged decoys when I walked in, thats why I waited so long to get a sled. much faster and easier with a sled now. on top of that you can always find more uses for a sled than a decoy bag. shallow water blind to sit in, nice place to store gear while you stand in water, easier than a bag maneuver. also makes for quick unloading of the truck.... decoys in the sled when you're at home, put the sled in the truck, take it out of the truck when you arrive at the marsh, throw in gun and blind bag and you're off. no more trying to hobble to get a bag on your back and carry your gun and blind bag... then trying to find a dry spot to put your blind bag once you get there.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:27 am

2500hdon37s wrote:Waders and a decoy sled. you can always tow the sled with the small boat if you need more room.

we've had good luck with making quick blinds from surrounding cattails and etc. when not hunting from a layout blind, boat, or pit.

This ^^^^ and are you having to pack over the levy once you get to it?
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:39 am

If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Sclf » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:46 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Image

Ive been wanting to teach my dog to do that!

We have about 1/2 mile walk through the marsh to get to our spot. A decoy sled really helps! As far as building a blind out there, I would hunt it a few times by just hiding in the grass or using something make-shift first. You want to know if the place holds ducks before you go to that effort. Also, you want to see how it hunts so you can determine optimal blind design and placement. If you do get to a point where you build a blind, you can start leaving more and more stuff in it during the season thus making your travel to and from much easier. We keep a dry box which holds extra shells, mojos, batteries, food, and other general crap. We also leave our dekes in the blind. That way we only have to really hump a huge load of stuff out there a couple times a year.
Sclf
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:29 am

How big is your pirogue? The way you describe is the way I learned to duck hunt. All I bought was the hunting buckets with the snap lid/seat and put calls, food, drinks, shells, facemask and other items inside it and set it in pirogue behind me, bag of decoys in middle of another person sat up front, and their bucket up front. My pirogue was about 13 ft long and had 2 seats in it. We would ride out as close as was feasible in the big boat with pirogue, drop pirogue in water with all gear and paddle to blind, drop off buckets, then go set decoys. Paddle back to blind or where ever and either sat in pirogue or flip and sit on top.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:30 am

You can't tow the pirogue? Up in the boundary waters in MN some of the outfitters have racks on their boats to haul canoes back to the more remote lakes.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:52 am

dakota, you can however pirogues generally have low walls and if you are going fast or have a large wake, you can swamp them. I have seen people use racks but the boats that I have used have open floors with no middle seats. I have stacked 2 pirogues inside each other inside of a 16 ft flat boat with no problems.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum