Forget about jerky...make swamp sausage!!!!!!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Forget about jerky...make swamp sausage!!!!!!!!

Postby BBK » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:43 pm

I have researched it, and I have talked with the USFW about it (they were no help at all). There is nowhere in any federal law or regulation that states prepared food (jerky, sausage, cooked duck/goose) counts towards possession. Alternatively, there is nowhere in there that says it does not count. It is a gray area and I highly doubt the feds or any state would spend the money to prosecute anybody for too much jerky unless it was a high profile case such as a guide service or someone with hundreds and hundreds of birds. You or I having 20 birds in jerky is not going to get the CO knocking on our doors.

However, there is bill in the Cali senate right now (voted on the 25th I think it was, but don't have the results) that will add specifically that birds prepared (jerky, sausage) and cooked do not count towards the possession. If it passes I am sure many other states will follow for next year. What brought that on was a guy who got ticketed for over possession when he had a bag full of jerky with him in the blind after he shot his daily bag limit on the first day of the season in 2012.
BBK
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:45 pm

BBK wrote:I have researched it, and I have talked with the USFW about it (they were no help at all). There is nowhere in any federal law or regulation that states prepared food (jerky, sausage, cooked duck/goose) counts towards possession. Alternatively, there is nowhere in there that says it does not count. It is a gray area and I highly doubt the feds or any state would spend the money to prosecute anybody for too much jerky unless it was a high profile case such as a guide service or someone with hundreds and hundreds of birds. You or I having 20 birds in jerky is not going to get the CO knocking on our doors.

However, there is bill in the Cali senate right now (voted on the 25th I think it was, but don't have the results) that will add specifically that birds prepared (jerky, sausage) and cooked do not count towards the possession. If it passes I am sure many other states will follow for next year. What brought that on was a guy who got ticketed for over possession when he had a bag full of jerky with him in the blind after he shot his daily bag limit on the first day of the season in 2012.

show me where in the regulations it states the possession limit ends when you grind it up.....it's not in there anywhere.
The ONLY way possession limit ends is if you gift birds to another individual OR you eat them. Period.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby BBK » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Read it again, slowly. I already said it does not appear. It is a gray area and up to officer's discretion.
BBK
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:51 pm

BBK wrote:Read it again, slowly. I already said it does not appear. It is a gray area and up to officer's discretion.

§ 20.39 Termination of possession.
Subject to all other requirements of this part, the possession of birds taken by any hunter shall be deemed to have ceased when such birds have been delivered by him to another person as a gift; or have been delivered by him to a post office, a common carrier, or a migratory bird preservation facility and consigned for transport by the Postal Service or a common carrier to some person other than the hunter.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby BBK » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:57 pm

Think like a lawyer. It did not say possession ends only when those examples are met, it just says possession is terminated when those examples occur. So those are not the only times when possession ends.
BBK
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:00 pm

BBK wrote:Think like a lawyer. It did not say possession ends only when those examples are met, it just says possession is terminated when those examples occur. So those are not the only times when possession ends.

Find where it says possession ends whenyou freeze the birds, or grind it up into sausage, or dry it to make jerky.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:08 pm

If you are married, you can gift them to your wife and kids and it counts towards their possession limit, but possession limit still applies. Whether it is enforced or not is a different argument.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:12 pm

They also recently popped a guy in louisiana with 56 unplucked, uncleaned birds in his freezer. He would shoot his limit daily and freeze them to clean them all at one time, never once shooting more than what was allowed daily. Does not matter. He was over the possession limit. Had he properly tagged and gifted the birds to family, he would have been O.K.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:30 pm

This post addresses your questions...
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144108&start=125#p1135466

But to clarify, the legal possession limit is now 3X daily....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole