HELP! NEED ADVICE ON HUNTING WOODIES!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

HELP! NEED ADVICE ON HUNTING WOODIES!

Postby benelliboomer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:17 pm

I just got permission on a 300 acres of riverside property. There is a stagnant marsh right along the river, ,maybe 10 yards beside it, that runs parrallel to the river for about 300 yards. The marsh is maybe 10-15 yards wide at the widest. I jumped about 100-150 woodies and about 50 mallards off it today. But they were spread out along the whole thing....I need advice on how to kill the most ducks, decoys? wood duck or mallard? both? Calling? wood duck call or just a mallard call?
mojo? 1? 2?
Jerk string?
Goose decoys?
Benelli. BOOM. BOOM. BOOM.
benelliboomer
hunter

Re: HELP! NEED ADVICE ON HUNTING WOODIES!

Postby aunt betty » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:40 pm

benelliboomer wrote:I just got permission on a 300 acres of riverside property. There is a stagnant marsh right along the river, ,maybe 10 yards beside it, that runs parrallel to the river for about 300 yards. The marsh is maybe 10-15 yards wide at the widest. I jumped about 100-150 woodies and about 50 mallards off it today. But they were spread out along the whole thing....I need advice on how to kill the most ducks, decoys? wood duck or mallard? both? Calling? wood duck call or just a mallard call?
mojo? 1? 2?
Jerk string?
Goose decoys?

Use a shotgun and bring some shells.
Waders might be a good idea too and dont forget toilet paper.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:47 pm

aunt betty wrote:
benelliboomer wrote:I just got permission on a 300 acres of riverside property. There is a stagnant marsh right along the river, ,maybe 10 yards beside it, that runs parrallel to the river for about 300 yards. The marsh is maybe 10-15 yards wide at the widest. I jumped about 100-150 woodies and about 50 mallards off it today. But they were spread out along the whole thing....I need advice on how to kill the most ducks, decoys? wood duck or mallard? both? Calling? wood duck call or just a mallard call?
mojo? 1? 2?
Jerk string?
Goose decoys?

Use a shotgun and bring some shells.
Waders might be a good idea too and dont forget toilet paper.

He didn't leave a thing out except be there before sunrise
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Black hoodie
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby gr8white » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Corn
gr8white
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:34 pm

I have no idea why I am being nice today but its been an all day occurrence.

With that said. Toss you out some decoys for the mallards. Jerk string works wonders in still water. Leave your wood duck call wherever it fits the best. (that decision is up to you) Just a little chatter for the mallards. Figure out when the woodies are flying and what route they are taking. Set up there. Drop them when they buzz you.

Wind also may place a factor along with 29 other things but this is a good start for you.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Underradar » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:40 pm

Rape whistle. Blow it softly.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby luie b » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Just remember if a woodie comes in range you best be shoot in because they won't circle like a mallard. One pass and they're gone.
luie b
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:58 pm

Set up in he middle. Don't skyblast.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:09 am

luie b wrote:Just remember if a woodie comes in range you best be shoot in because they won't circle like a mallard. One pass and they're gone.

My first responce was knee-jerk and not very nice. I apologize.
To make up for it I'll try and offer some observations on the wood ducks I have shot.

I set up to hunt mallards. Thats my target species.
I noticed that many times wood ducks or one wood duck would land near my spread at or around shooting time, usually 5 min early. So Id sit there not breathing counting down to LST...

After this happened...a hundred times I went and bought a 3-pack of flambeau wood duck decoys that I still own. I found that wood ducks would land right on top of a single or pair of woody dekes.

They wont decoy except right around LST so shoot if you have pass shots.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:26 am

aunt betty wrote:
luie b wrote:Just remember if a woodie comes in range you best be shoot in because they won't circle like a mallard. One pass and they're gone.

My first responce was knee-jerk and not very nice. I apologize.
To make up for it I'll try and offer some observations on the wood ducks I have shot.

I set up to hunt mallards. Thats my target species.
I noticed that many times wood ducks or one wood duck would land near my spread at or around shooting time, usually 5 min early. So Id sit there not breathing counting down to LST...

After this happened...a hundred times I went and bought a 3-pack of flambeau wood duck decoys that I still own. I found that wood ducks would land right on top of a single or pair of woody dekes.

They wont decoy except right around LST so shoot if you have pass shots.

Betty is right. Woodies are always early where I hunt. They seem to know LST also.
t_baker
hunter

Postby luie b » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:08 am

I remember once last year on opening day I shot into a giant group of like 20 woodies that came by at like 10;00 in the morning, really weird stuff. Once last season when we were field hunting geese we had like 3 dozen goose shells out on the edge of the field where we were hiding in my pallet blind and 2 woodies swung over the decoys over this corn field, my buddy was on his phone screwin around with God knows what and I pull up my gun and shoot and cripple one that sails into the timber that we never ended up finding. After I did that he was pissed off that I shot at them on the pass. He was all like,"we could have called them back in to land in the decoys!" And this is when I laughed and said good luck with that... He pulls this crap all the time because if he doesn't shoot something and someone else does he pouts like a little kid. I swear every time if we kill an uneven amount of birds in a volley he always claims the bonus bird regardless if he shot it or not.
luie b
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am

luie b wrote:I remember once last year on opening day I shot into a giant group of like 20 woodies that came by at like 10;00 in the morning, really weird stuff. Once last season when we were field hunting geese we had like 3 dozen goose shells out on the edge of the field where we were hiding in my pallet blind and 2 woodies swung over the decoys over this corn field, my buddy was on his phone screwin around with God knows what and I pull up my gun and shoot and cripple one that sails into the timber that we never ended up finding. After I did that he was pissed off that I shot at them on the pass. He was all like,"we could have called them back in to land in the decoys!" And this is when I laughed and said good luck with that... He pulls this crap all the time because if he doesn't shoot something and someone else does he pouts like a little kid. I swear every time if we kill an uneven amount of birds in a volley he always claims the bonus bird regardless if he shot it or not.

You should post this concern in the "tell it to them straight" thread.
t_baker
hunter

Postby BootsUpDucks2121 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:48 pm

I hunt a lot of woodie holes. If you have a spinning wing decoy, the birds will land right into it, at least from my experience. I like to use a jerk string too but like what has been said before, they will typically only fly right at ST so be ready.

Best of luck !
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes"
BootsUpDucks2121
hunter

Postby benelliboomer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Hey guys! Thanks for all the advice. I went back and did a little kayaking around, I found about 60 woodies crammed tight into the back corner in a 30 yard space....they were lining the edges, but hiding way back in the brush and in the branches. I know that is where they want to go....for now. I will not get back there until oct 12, which is opening day, do they think the spot will change?
Is it worth using a mojo? jerk string? or just try to wait them out...?
benelliboomer
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:23 pm

you cant get back there the 10th or 11th sunrise and watch them fly?
"I can't believe how strange it is, to be anything at all"
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby benelliboomer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:you cant get back there the 10th or 11th sunrise and watch them fly?

There is a chance if I have the day off work....Would they change that much in 12 days with no pressure?
benelliboomer
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:51 pm

benelliboomer wrote:
Professor_Leakey wrote:you cant get back there the 10th or 11th sunrise and watch them fly?

There is a chance if I have the day off work....Would they change that much in 12 days with no pressure?

yes
t_baker
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole