ft thompson waders

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

ft thompson waders

Postby rivershark » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:28 pm

anyone had any luck or bad luck with the ft thompson waders? i seen a few people sporting them around last year and done a little research on them, apparently their made by itasca. itasca has been a pretty good brand for me anyways. ft thompson website has absolutely no info so thought id ask the fell timber stompers.
i dont know who you are or where you're going, but its a race to get there!
there are 3 things that make or break a friendship: politics, religion and duck hunting
rivershark
hunter

Re: ft thompson waders

Postby Trent_Rivers » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:14 am

I had heard great things about these waders. Called the store and they no longer carry the fort Thompson brand waders. I was a little upset so I went with the MPW big ditch 3.5 hopefully they will serve me well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby rivershark » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:14 am

well i had mind made up between ft thompson, macks and maybe some frogg toggs.. looking for that bottomland ya know. that kind of bums me out now. thanks for the info
there are 3 things that make or break a friendship: politics, religion and duck hunting
rivershark
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Yeah I wanted bottomland as well. Lacrosse makes bottomland too. My lacrosses sprung a new leak every hunt though.

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Trent_Rivers wrote: My lacrosses sprung a new leak every hunt though.

Had the same problem, Plus the fleece lined is horrible, Had the hole problem from cabelas as well. Switched over to the grand prairies, been pretty satisfied since.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rivershark » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:20 pm

oh lacrosse and myself have a history of failure together. ordered a set of the "super tuff" waders last year, leaked right out of the box, called the company i ordered them from and got another pair sent to me three days later.
second pair, werent exactly comfortable, which im sure the first pair wouldnt have been either but i wasnt able to wear them that long. within 2 days of hunting/scouting the straps started tearing, on this model it was just a small strip of velcro. then by day 4 the right strap was completely useless. and on day 6 a small hole appeared on the inseam. by the end of the first split it was a pretty good sized leak. didnt hunt through december due to work but during january the leak got worse then the other side began to leak, along with a leak around the boot on the right side. we're up to 3 leaks now with out the first season being over. then by the last week of season the other strip of velcro finally gave way. misserable. so im looking for other options.
rivershark
hunter

Postby cannon » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:17 pm

I've been wearing Columbia's lately with mild success. I think they're glorified itascas, though. I rarely ever get more than a season out of a pair, so I stopped buying the high-dollar lacrosse & hodgman stuff a decade ago. Can't say that the pricey ones last any longer than the el cheapo's.

My wife has been wearing breathable waders for a couple of seasons, and she loves em. I haven't found anything not to like about em.

Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby rivershark » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:03 pm

Are the breathable waders warm? I've never looked at a pair and just assumed they were for early season.
rivershark
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:51 pm

I have like $130 credit from Lacrosse at a local hunting store. Waiting for new selection to come in. Sad that I don't expect much out of them. Eventually I'll get around to trying some of Mack's. Son and I have some Columbia's, mine started leaking the second year, his have gone through 3 seasons. I think he is starting to get damp. We work them pretty hard.

I wear some very light fishing waders, kind that the sock foot goes into some hiking type tennis shoes. I'm thinking about wearing those, inside some heavier thinsulate waders. Probably wait till I start getting damp, then give it a shot. I think it's going to take some kind of double hull system to get the job done. Maybe I'll patent this ideal? :thumbsup:
AR Dave
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:55 am

rivershark wrote:Are the breathable waders warm? I've never looked at a pair and just assumed they were for early season.

No! Heck no! You gotta layer under em, just like the old days when canvas waders were the norm. They have the same level of insulation as a sheet of paper.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Trent_Rivers » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:59 am

My buddy has a pair if canvas waders that lasted two seasons walking through bayou meto. They were only 79.99. But if it got cold it was over for him.

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby rivershark » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:15 pm

im probably out on them cannon, thanks for the info. i actually just got off the phone with a lady from ft thompson, apparently they were having issues with the boot sizes being smaller than what was labeled on the boot itself and who ever their supplier is, couldnt get the problem fixed in time for ordering. back to square 1..
rivershark
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:50 pm

I would recommend the grand P's, but you sort of missed the sale season ($149.00) rather expensive this time of year.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Trent_Rivers » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:24 am

Greenster have you ever tried the Big Ditch's? That's what I went with as I spend more time hot than I do cold during season. What do ya think?

Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:00 pm

I have not, but may next time due to price. I think the only difference is 5mm upper neoprene and Some sealant on the inside of wader? and of course boot insulation. really it's all you need down here.

greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting