Truth 'bout NY?

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Truth 'bout NY?

Postby macdaddy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:50 pm

I was @ the waterfowl festival @ Linesville, PA this past Sept. Heard a guy from one of the call makers saying that your state is, so to speak, a "hidden gem" for waterfowl hunting. Is this so? I have heard some talk about the Finger Lakes region. My buddy & I are looking for new spots all of the time. Your state is just north of PA; if all is as these boys said, we may be coming up next year. I would appreciate any advice, tips, recommendations.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:30 pm

shhhhhh!!! There are no ducks in NY. :cool:
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:35 pm

seriously though, NY is about as diverse as it gets as far as waterfowl goes. Here in the western zone we have plenty of puddlers early on with Iroquois and Montezuma NWR's and when everything locks up it really gets fun because the Niagara River is world class when it comes to divers. Also don't forget about the limits of sea ducks that can be had daily on lake ontario and the mouth of the lower river. Those are the big name attractions but the little secrets and word of mouth potholes are what makes NY a gem in the waterfowling world.
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:06 pm

My advice is that if you're going to hunt public waters, plan to do so on weekdays. Especially during the start of the season in which ever zone you'll be hunting. We do get some numbers of ducks, but we have alot of hunters as well, and most times it's rare that you'll have any decent size body of water to yourself. Geese, on the other hand, are everywhere, and alot of guys I know that used to be huge into ducks, now only hunt geese, because of the sheer numbers.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:09 pm

I mean, uh, we have no ducks here.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby watchman34 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:14 pm

I,ve never evvvvvvvvvvvvvvver seen a duck or a goose in new york :mrgreen: :tounge:
locked cocked and ready to rock! TEAM BROOME COUNTY
Now and then a bird flies into my steel shot.
watchman34
hunter

Postby watchman34 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:20 pm

i dont know about lake hunting that much,but river hunting for ducks is a blast.We found a woodie hot spot in the begining of duck season.I shot about 30 shells (no im not a good shot) and came out with my limit of 2 yes 2 woodies.it was fast and exilerating.
locked cocked and ready to rock! TEAM BROOME COUNTY
Now and then a bird flies into my steel shot.
watchman34
hunter

NY Hunting

Postby Dep666 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:08 pm

Yea we have some good hunting, HOWEVER!!!!!! There are a few things that some of the guys have failed to mention.......

JP is right about the Niagara, but do yourself a favor a do your homework on it. The last thing that you need is getting tangled up with a major problem in that current ( Upper and lower river hunts). I have seen guys loose dogs in the upper Niagara current. Ive seen dogs buy the farm on feak ice flows from Lake Erie. Ive seen, and had for that matter, a whole rig of dekes get sucked under by those same wierd ice flows. NOT FUN! Now the Lower river can be good if you can dodge angry charter captians at the launch. It seems like there are a few guys who think that they own the rights for hunting the mouth. Last year I was almost in a battle royal at the ramp with some jerkl. Anyway.......The lake hunting can be fantastic all over the lake. I launch out of Sandy creek and smash the sea ducks. You might have to go way out to get em, but its worth it to have the place to yourself. I guess if you have big nuts, then that might be the hunt for you.

Now as far as early season....Those wma previously stated are pretty good. As far a other spots on private land....Good Luck! We have a few guide services who lease tons of land and really put the blocks on "Joe recreational hunter." The fingerlakes also can be good, but then again watch out if you set up in front of an antihunter's cottage....minya Ive had the pots and pans treatment before.

Anyway, yea NY has birds. Just use your head with safety and do your homework.
Dep666
hunter

Postby Jpensyl » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:26 pm

yea DeLorenzo and his cronies really do think they own the mouth of the river, good luck getting that last inch to launch your boat while they wait for their clients. :pissed:
"Take'em Boys"
Jpensyl
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:32 pm

Not trying to steer you away from the central and western parts of the state, but the Saint Lawrence River, the Hudson River, Long Island, and other locations also have reputations as good duck hunting areas. New York is very diverse. Like the others have said, definitely do your homework. Access can be tricky, but if you search around you can often find a place. Last year I hunted a new spot where there was supposedly no public boat launches for non-residents. I found a free (non-residents allowed) town launch online before we went there. We had no problems launching and a good hunt.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:49 pm

Duck ... what's a duck?? :tounge:

The finger lakes region has some good waterfowling around, lake, river, stream and field hunting. Tompkins/Cayuga Co-op (private land managed by the state) offers some good field hunting for geese and limited blinds for ducks. There are several other state and federal owned/managed areas also - just do some homeworkk and you can find a pretty good number of places to spend a few days blasting.

DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:52 pm

Personally I wouldn’t waist my time driving all the way up here, two many hunters and too few ducks. What you hear about the ST Lawrence river and the Eastern end of Lake Ontario,,,, man that’s just hype. I didn’t shoot more than 6 ducks all season. :oops: I’m thinking of taking up deer hunting. :toofunny:
Last edited by 870 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:03 pm

Spaking of taking up deer hunting, I almost got one last night the 870 way. Got her catch-and-release just like you did. :thumbsup:
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby 870 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:17 am

:laughing: AT-A-BOY CLUTCH :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:54 am

I almost got one while pulling CLUTCH's boat behind my truck. If I had hit her right she might have flipped over the top of the truck and landed in the back with our ducks. Talk about a mixed bag! :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting