F shot

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, NV Guide, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler

F shot

Postby blackened89 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:23 pm

If you had a tight patterning load of f-shot, would you shoot it at everything close or far?
blackened89
hunter

Re: F shot

Postby goose_gunner » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:26 pm

after pattern a lot of it I have found it sucks across the bored lol
There is a special place in duck hunting hell for sky busters
goose_gunner
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Makes a good no tox yote load for the wma's :thumbsup:

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:56 pm

Bigger pellets are strictly for long range use. The bigger the pellet, the more damage it will do to meat. The closer you are, the more damage it will do. I have seen greater canadas totally wrecked with T shot taken at 25 yards.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby BT Justice » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:23 am

Based on two seasons of trying F steel in the field on Canada's and Snows, I wouldn't use it all. T or BBB steel is about as big as you want to go, F steel seemed to just have to little a pellet and was not as effective as smaller shot sizes.
BT Justice
hunter

Postby bubba682 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:16 am

Last season i used 20%over bbb i liked it i was shooting it thru a ext briley mod this year i'm going to try it thru a new .045 briley to see what it looks like, i think i was getting 75% on paper@40yrds with the mod.I used it for pass shooting out around 50yrd on geese,hopefully the new choke is in this week cause i want to get out and start chronographing and pattering all my 10 guage recipes...Then i got to figure how to post pics lol...
Huntin the barrens of Cape Breton.
bubba682
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 am

Coyote yes.Lowlife maggot(s) that kicked in the door and entered my home yes.Everything else no.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby BBK » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:20 am

Shot a couple loads of F through the 10ga a long time ago. Never hit anything, probably because I was shooting 40 pellets lol

No, probably wouldnt shoot it at any waterfowl except maybe a swan.

But if I could find a box of F I would really like to pick one up in 3.5" 12ga in case I see a yote while hunting.
BBK
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:18 am

BBK wrote:Shot a couple loads of F through the 10ga a long time ago. Never hit anything, probably because I was shooting 40 pellets lol

No, probably wouldnt shoot it at any waterfowl except maybe a swan.

But if I could find a box of F I would really like to pick one up in 3.5" 12ga in case I see a yote while hunting.

You don't need anything that big for a swan. They are big but easier to kill than a big goose. Tungsten 2s or steel goose loads work real good on them. :thumbsup:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Garage » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:09 pm

I use it all of the time for pass shots at geese. The best pattern I have found is 1 1/8 oz shot, 48 grains Alliant Steel, Precision Reloading 3" Orange Wads, 1 felt 1/8" Card under the shot, precision reloading buffer, Cheddite 3 1/2" Hulls, and a ballistic products cardboard overshot card.

The key is the precision reloading buffer and their orange wads. use plenty of buffer.

You can also use the Precision 3 1/2" Green wads, 35 Grains
Alliant Steel, and 1 1/2" oz shot; all else the same. But the patterns are not quite as good in my guns. Still, it's a much better payload. The velocity is not nearly as good, of course. You might need to use Roll Crimps for that one.....not much room for regular crimps.

Some of us, myself included, have to shoot on the "firing line" which means high shots. As long as the geese are in reasonable range, an "F" sized pellet usually passes all the way through the goose, and it will fly a little ways, and then it often falls stone dead.....like what happens when you shoot a deer with a muzzleloader, sometimes.

For shots over decoys, or closer passing shots, you don't want F shot! You will miss too many of them from the thin patterns. It's just so darn big, the patterns are going to be thin and you are going to miss a lot.

I have tried the Sam 1 wads, and some guys really like them, and I have tried the Ballistic products MM Wads, and also the LBC wads....but, at least from tests in my guns, none of them pattern as well. The Sam 1 wads and the MM Wads blow the seal when I try them, but for other people I am sure they work fine. The LBC wads I cannot get to throw a decent pattern...........but I am sure others have had better luck.

I dunno, just my 2 cents........i'm no expert.
Garage
hunter

Postby skb20 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:21 pm

I believe that F shot proved to be the least effective load tested on geese in the CONSEP trials, proving to be not reliably lethal beyond 45 yards due to inadequate pattern density as I recall. No big surprise there -- if one starts with barely enough pellets in the load, then what happens at 40+ yard is sort of a foregone conclusion. And nothing really new, either. The worst crippling loss scenario ever documented, bad enough to very nearly get a popular goose hunting program at Sand Lake NWR in South Dakota shut down in the 1960's because of disgraceful crippling losses, played out mainly with 4-buck LEAD loads. Yes, of course, very large pellets (lead or steel) will occasionally drop a duck or goose at spectacularly long range. But without adequate pattern density, enough pattern density to ensure that 1 or 2 pellets strike a lethal area on the bird, then pellet energy/density/velocity ad infinitum amounts to jack schitt. And dropping the occasional bird at spectacularly long range while feeding several others to the mink, foxes, and coyotes is not what we as hunters can/should tolerate. IMO.
Last edited by skb20 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
skb20
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:09 pm

[quote="Garage"]I use it all of the time for pass shots at geese. The best pattern I have found is 1 1/8 oz shot, 48 grains Alliant Steel, Precision Reloading 3" Orange Wads, 1 felt 1/8" Card under the shot, precision reloading buffer, Cheddite 3 1/2" Hulls, and a ballistic products cardboard overshot card.

The key is the precision reloading buffer and their orange wads. use plenty of buffer.

You can also use the Precision 3 1/2" Green wads, 35 Grains
Alliant Steel, and 1 1/2" oz shot; all else the same. But the patterns are not quite as good in my guns. Still, it's a much better payload. The velocity is not nearly as good, of course. You might need to use Roll Crimps for that one.....not much room for regular crimps.

Some of us, myself included, have to shoot on the "firing line" which means high shots. As long as the geese are in reasonable range, an "F" sized pellet usually passes all the way through the goose, and it will fly a little ways, and then it often falls stone dead.....like what happens when you shoot a deer with a muzzleloader, sometimes.

For shots over decoys, or closer passing shots, you don't want F shot! You will miss too many of them from the thin patterns. It's just so darn big, the patterns are going to be thin and you are going to miss a lot.

I have tried the Sam 1 wads, and some guys really like them, and I have tried the Ballistic products MM Wads, and also the LBC wads....but, at least from tests in my guns, none of them pattern as well. The Sam 1 wads and the MM Wads blow the seal when I try them, but for other people I am sure they work fine. The LBC wads I cannot get to throw a decent pattern...........but I am sure others have had better luck.

I dunno, just my 2 cents........i'm no expert.[/quote]

You must be shooting with a 835 or 935 Mossy to be blowing those wad skirts?

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:23 pm

Works for me..

solway gunner
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:48 pm

solway gunner wrote:Works for me..

A lot of guys where I hunt seem to think that they could hit those with #4's, never mind F's!
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby blackened89 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:48 pm

how bout a .223
blackened89
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes