I need help finding a dog trainer near north east texas!!!!!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

I need help finding a dog trainer near north east texas!!!!!

Postby BearBeatsAll » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:35 pm

I have a male lab and i am looking for a good trainer near north east texas.I am only 14 so i ned someone good but not real expensive.I would like to get him in pretty fast so can i please have some help?
If you dont have a Lab then you dont have a real dog
BearBeatsAll
hunter

Postby aaron » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:43 pm

BBL,

Listen , little brother, you are at a perfect age to learn how to do this yourself. Do you have patience ? 20-30 min. a day to spend with your pup ? If so, then you can do this , it's not that hard and you and your dog will be way better off than if you had a pro do it. You have access to a great wealth of info via this forum , a luxury I lacked when I trained my first dog, so any questions you might have can be answered any one of the folks who frequent here. The moderators here,especially, are really on the ball even I don't always agree with 'em :toofunny: . Anyway, I'm excited for you and the prospects of your pup. Accept the challenge and do it yourself !!! :thumbsup:
aaron
hunter

Postby BearBeatsAll » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:52 pm

I would but i play select baseball and im gone alot for baseball.I have got him to sit and lay down but i cant figure out how to get him to stay or anything else and plus i dont really know how to train them for duck hunting or anything else if someone cousld help me it would be very helpfull :help:
BearBeatsAll
hunter

Postby aaron » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:31 pm

I understand that !! I'm a father, a husband, a navy reservist, and work 48 hrs . a week or more . Start simple and you can learn how to do this .

Start with his stay for example; begin with sit , do this by getting him used to a lead . Lead him around by it ,occasionally stopping and commanding "SIT !!". Over time, just begin to back off from him while he is at sit, correcting him when he tries to follow. Keep expanding the distance.
aaron
hunter

Postby BearBeatsAll » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:30 pm

Ill try it as best as i can i will put some updates in a few days or weeks just however long it takes to see some progress thanks for your help
BearBeatsAll
hunter

Postby zx2dxz » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:25 pm

i hate to say it but most hunters that work 40 hour work weeks plus overtime cant even afford a trainer. a trainer will run u anywhere from 500-1000 a month. Just to put that in Money terms for you. Most programs are 10-12 weeks long.
zx2dxz
hunter

Postby aaron » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:09 pm

You'd never know it by the numbers around here including, my co-workers who use trainers. Especially for their bird dogs. I don't know ,just something about having someone else train my dog that would really take away from hunting with a dog in the first place.
A dog views his master as a God, it is our job to not prove otherwise.
aaron
hunter

Postby coco_05 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:24 pm

Hey man im 17 yrs old and i know what you mean about bein busy with baseball. I had my dog sent of to a trainer for about 3 months for about 350 a month. the bad thing is he said all this dog wont work for anything.the only thing he taught her is obedince. so he pretty much took my money :pissed: . so i started messing with her myself. got a dead bird and started trainin her. get it excited and and it will work for you. let me know how it turns out. ask questions on here there are a lot of guys on here who know way more about trainin than i do. good luck :thumbsup:
coco_05
hunter

Postby zx2dxz » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:24 pm

Well where i work its $775 a month plus $175 for birds. But i get to train my own dog there so i guess its a win win for me. Trainers, birds, and place to train and on top of that i get the 1 on 1 training with my own dog.
More Habitat On The Ground Means More Ducks In The Sky!!!
zx2dxz
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum