Ridgefeild NWR

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, brokerbyduck, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr

Re: Ridgefeild NWR

Postby goosegunner12 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:44 pm

I'm gonna head on down with the wife and kid. It will be my wife's first duck hunt since the kids were born. She's been turkey hunting a few times. So 13 years since her last duck hunt.
goosegunner12
hunter

Postby cackiller » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Hoping the best of luck for you guys! Should have a very good chance as I would guess the refuge is holding a lot of birds right now!
cackiller
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:53 am

Tons of geese on the refuge. Probably the largest congregation of ducks outside the L & C NWR in the lower Columbia as well. Still waiting for bad weather to see the first big groups of ducks move into the areas outside the refuges.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby JonnyDollar » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:48 pm

Not hearing a lot of shooting going on down there, curious if anyone has hunted it yet this season.
JonnyDollar
hunter

Postby goosegunner12 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Hunted it last sat with fog till about 10:30 and low water made for a tuff shoot. We finished with 11. Had a friend hunt it yesterday and him and his son only got 4 and they were one of the top blinds. Pretty slow right now. The youth hunt this weekend is gonna be brutal.
goosegunner12
hunter

Postby singleyj » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:27 am

Hey guys I was able to draw the #6 spot in late Nov. Does this mean that I'm slotted for the #6 blind or the 6 person to get to choose whcih blind? This will be my first year trying to hunt Ridgefield. Which blinds are good? Do they allow you to go out the day before and take a look around. It's always hard setting up the morning of the hunt when you have never been to the area before and you don't know what's around.

Thanks,
singleyj
hunter

Postby goosegunner12 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Yes that means you will be the 6th person to pick a blind of your choice. No they do not allow you to go out on non hunt days. About the only thing you can do for scouting is drive the auto tour loop and you can see some of the different blinds areas. As far as the good blinds you just have to put in your time and learn the area. One of things with refuge hunting is guys get so caught up in blind # such and such are the best, that they forget about waterfowl hunting basics. You need to match your blind selections with the proper wind direction. You Can be in the best bind but with a bad wind it can be a long day.
goosegunner12
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:40 pm

singleyj wrote:Hey guys I was able to draw the #6 spot in late Nov. Does this mean that I'm slotted for the #6 blind or the 6 person to get to choose whcih blind? This will be my first year trying to hunt Ridgefield. Which blinds are good? Do they allow you to go out the day before and take a look around. It's always hard setting up the morning of the hunt when you have never been to the area before and you don't know what's around.

Thanks,

A great way to learn the refuge is to join WWA for opening and closing. End of September we open all the blinds and in February we close them all up. Do a couple of those and you will get to see all the blinds. You could also join WWA and show up at some meetings and get more information on hunting RWR than you could ever use. :thumbsup:
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby singleyj » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I'm new to the area and this will be my first season I'll be able to hunt up here. I actually did join my local WWA chapter but the meetings or on nights I have class. I'll try and make the closing up of the blinds at the end of the season for sure. Once again thanks for the info.
singleyj
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:30 pm

singleyj wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I'm new to the area and this will be my first season I'll be able to hunt up here. I actually did join my local WWA chapter but the meetings or on nights I have class. I'll try and make the closing up of the blinds at the end of the season for sure. Once again thanks for the info.

Send me a pm with your email and I will send you the info on refuge closing.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby JonnyDollar » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:12 am

Has the refuge gotten any better lately with this cold snap we have gotten lately? Might get in on the afternoon hunt if the hunting is decent.
:biggrin:
JonnyDollar
hunter

Postby singleyj » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:22 pm

JonnyDollar wrote:Has the refuge gotten any better lately with this cold snap we have gotten lately? Might get in on the afternoon hunt if the hunting is decent.
:biggrin:

Well I got to go late last month and could have got my limit out if I was a better shot. :crying: No ducks early morning but around 9am I could not count how many were in the sky. The guys on one side of me did real well but on the other side they had only seen 1 bird all day. Was a whole lot of work getting out there in the frozen over wetlands have big bruises on my thighs to prove it. Over all it was a great day, brought out 2 new people to duck hunting and they had a great time, one of them even caught the bug.
singleyj
hunter

Postby JonnyDollar » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:39 am

How did everyone do down there this year? I did pretty decent, never went home without a couple ducks.
This was out of blind #19 the last day I went in January.
JonnyDollar
hunter

Previous

Return to Washington Duck Hunting