Adding external floatation to aluminum v hull

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Adding external floatation to aluminum v hull

Postby GusDog » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:36 am

I have a 14' Starcraft deep v aluminum with a 9.9. The previous owner replaced the floor and put in pedestal seats. As near as I can tell there is no foam for floatation under the floor (or anywhere else in the boat). I'd like I have some floatation in the boat for safety, and have been researching pour in foam etc.

Here's the question. As a kid a have a little rowboat with big rubber bumpers bolted to the exterior of he boat under the gunwales. These added enough flotation that I can remember several of us kids standing on the galwales without swamping or tipping the boat. I thought that some foam bumpers that ran the length of the hull under the gunwales would give me not only the floatation I'm looking for, but added stability hauling in the dog etc. I've searched online but can't find anything like this. Any ideas?
GusDog
hunter

Re: Adding external floatation to aluminum v hull

Postby T Man » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Foam wont do a thing for you unless the boat swamps. If you need stability you can add pods or get a wider boat
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: Adding external floatation to aluminum v hull

Postby Cajunwannabe » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:57 pm

I believe what you're looking for are "sponsons". They will add stability and flotation. You can add them to a boat, canoe, kayak, etc.

If you're needing to do this to a boat used for duck hunting in typically cold weather conditions, I'd consider getting a bigger boat.
Cajunwannabe
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds