OSDC's flooding the market?

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker

OSDC's flooding the market?

Postby Hrchcole » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:13 am

You know a couple months ago you couldn't find someone willing to sell an OSDC on these forums or the social media sites. Now they're everywhere and you would think with the laws or supply and demand that the prices would fall, but they are holding their own. Thoughts?
Hrchcole
hunter

Re: OSDC's flooding the market?

Postby Cold » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:48 am

It's not (strictly) about the laws of supply & demand, though...or rather, all is not as it might seem.

In the case of the OSDC, the quantity demanded hasn't changed appreciably, even with their slightly higher availability. Compared to the total availability, the quantity demanded still outstrips the effects of the recent "glut" of units available, thus the overall "demand" remains fairly constant, so you don't see a price change in the open market.

It might be slightly different if this was an exclusive site, that required some sort of qualification to get an account and buy and sell here. In that case, the overall quantity demanded would be far smaller, and as a result, a relative jump in supply available for sale would have a proportionally greater impact on the subset of the market within this site.

(Then again, it might not, since the site doesn't exist in a vacuum, and the supply wouldn't be limited to resale only within the site, so if a given seller knows he could get more on a more open market, he wouldn't choose to sell here, thus negating the artificial impact of the limited market.)

Clear as mud?
Cold
hunter

Postby Hrchcole » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Thank you Professor :) :clapping:
Hrchcole
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:12 pm

I've noticed since the crazy started with them years ago,that the big auction site sees a huge influx of them right before duck season and right on through the holidays.I guess they figure people will be a little more willing to drop a pocket full of cash on one as a gift or burn up the old tax return on one.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby Cold » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:42 pm

Hrchcole wrote:Thank you Professor :) :clapping:

Sorry, I tend to do that. Just wanted to explain fully, and show it has very little to do with the item itself. :beer:
Cold
hunter

Postby rbsdrake » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:46 am

ColoradoGooser wrote:I've noticed since the crazy started with them years ago,that the big auction site sees a huge influx of them right before duck season and right on through the holidays.I guess they figure people will be a little more willing to drop a pocket full of cash on one as a gift or burn up the old tax return on one.

Or they figure out it's not a magical whistle
rbsdrake
hunter

Postby catdiesel15 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:16 am

ColoradoGooser wrote:I've noticed since the crazy started with them years ago,that the big auction site sees a huge influx of them right before duck season and right on through the holidays.I guess they figure people will be a little more willing to drop a pocket full of cash on one as a gift or burn up the old tax return on one.

This guy nailed it :thumbsup:

It's all about timing ,,,
catdiesel15
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:47 am

There are a lot fo OSDC's out there. I know at least 2 people who have about 20 - 30 of them in their collections. A few others have about 8-15 each. All in all I know where about 200 of these are just sitting in collections. Rare? I think not. Do they sound good? Yes, but I bought a Cabelas Blackout Daisy Cutter and it sounded the same as an Ivory OSDC I have. Its all perception. Most think...OSDC on lanyard...ducks die before you can even blow it. However, as RNT staffer said 98% of the people buying these things can barely do the basics on a poly call.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:18 pm

DMBgoosehunter13 wrote: However, as RNT staffer said 98% of the people buying these things can barely do the basics on a poly call.

:lol3: :clapping: :lol3: :thumbsup: Aint that the truth!
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:52 pm

I'd say 98% is a little high..............more like 91% :lol3:
I honestly think the OSDC is a dying trend.............it's not like they are old Butch hand made calls.
They were mass produced by the thousands ,just another CNC made call that people pumped up..........big time !
Do some sound amazing ? some did most did not.............which is kind of strange for being a CNC'd call. :huh:
In all honesty I guess that's not saying much for RNT's quality control. :fingerhead:

If enough people talked up old Faulks calls or Kelly's calls ..............people would pay big bucks for them as well. :yes: :yes: :yes:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Dbishop311 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:07 am

Dying trend? People are paying more now than they ever have!
No contest ring. No gimmicks. No compromising. It’s just pure, raw, balls-to-the-wall, don’t tell your mother, most powerful, non-nuclear duck calling machine on the planet.This call may not be for everyone. But if you can drive it, Game over......
Dbishop311
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Dbishop311 wrote:Dying trend? People are paying more now than they ever have!

Not true I bought one for $90, $150, and $50 in the last 2 weeks :yes:
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby catdiesel15 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:32 pm

DMBgoosehunter13 wrote:

Not true I bought one for $90, $150, and $50 in the last 2 weeks :yes:

Got Dayum :thumbsup:

I was happy to get a black prescroll for $280 on eBay :smile:
catdiesel15
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:27 pm

Honestly, one of the most over-rated calls I've tried. I've tried all of them but gen 1 and 2. I do like my Cabelas OSDC. It sounds good and looks great. Personally, give me a lares T-1 or Hybrid all day long and twice on Sunday. It's all about the market and what people are willing to spend.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Not what I have seen to be true. :no:
They aren't selling as fast and they have been going for less money on Ebay then they were 6 months ago.
I guess we will see in another six months to a year. :yes:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:36 pm

callinfowl wrote:

They aren't selling as fast and they have been going for less money on Ebay then they were 6 months ago.

I agree
Their original selling price is higher but they are staying up longer and selling for less from what I've seen.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:54 am

callinfowl wrote:

Not only there are a few sellers who put up an add on the forums for $400 for an OSDC and then they put sold. Gimmick to make people think they are selling for that. I have seen this seller do this multiple times and then they go on ebay and sell for around $300-325 people just don't do their research
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby catdiesel15 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:02 am

DMBgoosehunter13 wrote:
callinfowl wrote:

Not only there are a few sellers who put up an add on the forums for $400 for an OSDC and then they put sold. Gimmick to make people think they are selling for that. I have seen this seller do this multiple times and then they go on ebay and sell for around $300-325 people just don't do their research

I know the mook you're describing , genuine moron :yes:
catdiesel15
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum