Duck Hunting Forum banner

15yd Penalty for NOT Targeting...

1K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  assateague 
#1 ·
this "targeting" crap is the worst rule in football...not the "leading with the head" part, I agree that should be illegal...but the part about hitting a defenseless receiver.

1) it should be 100% legal to hit a "defenseless receiver" as long as it's a clean hit (not leading with the head). used to be that teams didn't try to throw across the middle very often, and when they did, the receivers often dropped the pass for fear of being hit. everyone knew that if you were going across the middle, you were probably going to pay for it....

now, teams can just throw it up however they like because the DB's essentially have to let them catch it, THEN hit them...there's no longer a price to pay for it

2) the implementation is AWFUL....particularly the part about how the play can be reviewed (every targeting call is reviewed prior to play resuming) but even if it's determined that there was NO PENALTY, the team is still penalized 15yds and loss of down....

how do you penalize a team 15yds for NOT targeting?!

#4 ·
I understand why "protect player thing" but there is a difference in playing ball and tackling then this junk I agree. Like the other day in the Clemson on Thursday night. A safety was going to intercept the ball he had no idea that the WR was there (never looked back and he was coming across the field) and his head touch the WR head as the safety was going after the ball. It was 3 rd and long and with the flax of "targeting" made it auto 1st. And the player was ejected. But the booth overruled the ejection because you can clearly tell he had no idea of the WR as he was coming across the field and was catching the ball. It total BS.

Another game I was watching I seen a DB wait for the guy to land to make a hit and instead of a 4 th down they made a first down bc of the targeting issue. He was clearly gun shy.

#6 ·
YJSONLY said:
I understand why "protect player thing" but there is a difference in playing ball and tackling then this junk I agree. Like the other day in the Clemson on Thursday night. A safety was going to intercept the ball he had no idea that the WR was there (never looked back and he was coming across the field) and his head touch the WR head as the safety was going after the ball. It was 3 rd and long and with the flax of "targeting" made it auto 1st. And the player was ejected. But the booth overruled the ejection because you can clearly tell he had no idea of the WR as he was coming across the field and was catching the ball. It total BS.

Another game I was watching I seen a DB wait for the guy to land to make a hit and instead of a 4 th down they made a first down bc of the targeting issue. He was clearly gun shy.
yep, in the Bama/TAMU game, the DB was clearly going for the interception...nothing but trying to make a play on the ball, and there was contact. Targeting flag thrown, but overturned, yet they keep the 15yd penalty....

then Saturday in BAMA/Ole Miss, DB comes in for the hit and leads with his shoulder. would've been a shoulder-to-shoulder hit, but the receiver ducked his head into the DB's pads at the last second, so the ref threw the flag for targeting the receiver over the shoulders....when they reviewed it, it was clear the receiver ducked his head into the db's pads and they overturned it, but again, still a 15yd penalty.

it is absurd

#7 ·
The rule where all the defense had to do was "gently hold" the quarterback kinda got me to take naps during NFL games.
The monotonous announcers who talk about other sporting events during the game...sealed it.
NFL's on?!?! Goodnight.
Zzzzzzzzzz

#8 ·
aunt betty said:
The rule where all the defense had to do was "gently hold" the quarterback kinda got me to take naps during NFL games.
The monotonous announcers who talk about other sporting events during the game...sealed it.
NFL's on?!?! Goodnight.
Zzzzzzzzzz
NFL is almost unwatchable............I can watch just about any college football game and be entertained, even if I have no real interest in either team. but I just can't get into NFL

#9 ·
Yeah its pretty much bull!!!!!!!!! I cant hardly to stand watching NFL at all now!!! Team gets 3rd and long and they just throw the ball down the field hoping for pass interverance or some stupid hitting a player wrong rule! :mad: Now college is getting that way! If they throw the flag for "targeting" and the review and it wasnt... There should be no penalty!! :hammer: Simple as that!! Every time they have called that this year they have been wrong and its been overturned!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: They have to change that Ref's have no clue

#12 ·
GomerPyle said:
aunt betty said:
NFL's on?!?! Goodnight.
Zzzzzzzzzz
NFL is almost unwatchable............I can watch just about any college football game and be entertained, even if I have no real interest in either team. but I just can't get into NFL
X2!!!!

#13 ·
i_willie12 said:
Yeah its pretty much bull!!!!!!!!! I cant hardly to stand watching NFL at all now!!! Team gets 3rd and long and they just throw the ball down the field hoping for pass interverance or some stupid hitting a player wrong rule! :mad: Now college is getting that way! If they throw the flag for "targeting" and the review and it wasnt... There should be no penalty!! :hammer: Simple as that!! Every time they have called that this year they have been wrong and its been overturned!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: They have to change that Ref's have no clue
nope. first week, 2 players were ejected in 2 different games....

#14 ·
I'm totally for the rules and penalties for leading with the head for obvious reasons. Now they are limiting where defensive players can make otherwise legal contact making tacklers purposely target lower ont he body making the legs the target which is another bad issue. Plain and simple- football is a physical and violent sport and the unfortunate consequence is that people will be injured, period.

As for quarterbacks and soft tackles we can thank Tom Brady for that as he singlehandedly made the NFL co-ed!

#15 ·
The rules have given total control to the offense. That is one of the reasons we now are seeing such high scoring games.It has also been determined that the fans like to see scoring, so they are also appeasing the fans by doing this. And obviously recievers are goint to trash the old records, basically because they no longer have any opposition to worry about. Might as well let women start playing............................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.