Full bodies or Silo's?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Full bodies or Silo's?

Postby VTfowl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:48 pm

just sold my goose shells and am looking to upgrade. I know everyone swears by fullbodies but i only have enough $$$ for about a dozen. I also looked at the real geese 3-d silos that looked pretty nice and had good reviews. I can get a lot more decoys for cheaper that way. Anyone have any advice on what to do? is it worth buying silo's?
if it flies it dies
VTfowl
hunter

Re: Full bodies or Silo's?

Postby chrisss » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:55 pm

I'm in the same position as you and have decided to ge with big als silos
chrisss
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:13 pm

FWIW...I grew up hunting geese with plywood silos, we had a couple of bigass ones that we would hide behind, and a dozen or so smaller ones. We killed hundreds of geese that way, but I don't think it would work very well on birds that have been hunted hard. No problem on geese that haven't been hunted.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:00 am

chrisss wrote:I'm in the same position as you and have decided to ge with big als silos

:hi: I switched to silos about 20 yrs.ago....Outlaw Goose Silos(8 dz.)...Outlaw duck decoys(3 dz.).I slowly began rebuilding my flock as the decoys aged and when Real Geese Silos came on the market.I now have RG Pro 2`s(3 dz.) and Pro 1`s(3 dz.)+1 dz. RG Mag Lites which I repainted on 1 side +1 dz.Outlaws(repainted on 1 side).The last 2 dz. I mentioned give me 24 different poses and several different sizes so I use these as my early season rig when hunting Resident Geese(KILLED 18 IN SEPT.).My point here is,BUY THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD.. even if you end up with less.My issue with Big Al`s is they WILL NOT LAST as long as those I have mentioned (because of the material they are made from) + you only get 6 poses.ALSO, THERE IS A LEARNING CURVE TO USING SILOS....ALL BRANDS WILL WORK....SOME WORK BETTER THAN THE REST....I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO FB SPREADS :fingerpt: .If anyone is interested in trying my painted Outlaws + painted RG`s send me a p.m. :yes:
So many geese,so much ammo,so little time left!
vt.honker
hunter

Postby VTfowl » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:24 pm

thanks for the advice fellas. Now my last question is have you used or seen the divebomb industries silos? They come at a great price and look pretty good. Should i bother with any other silo or just get some real geese 3-d?
if it flies it dies
VTfowl
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:04 pm

VTfowl wrote:thanks for the advice fellas. Now my last question is have you used or seen the divebomb industries silos? They come at a great price and look pretty good. Should i bother with any other silo or just get some real geese 3-d?

:hammer: You get what you pay for...2 poses for Divebombs...a few more poses for Big Al`s,...BOTH would work ... but :fingerpt: NOT as many YEARS as R. G. Pro 1 or Pro 2`s will.WITH 12 DIFFERENT POSES...<R.G>...MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE :grooving: :thumbsup: :beer: !!!
vt.honker
hunter

Postby VTfowl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:51 am

yes sir! thanks a lot! :bow: :beer: :thumbsup:
if it flies it dies
VTfowl
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:08 am

I know they are expensive, but I am all for bigfoots. They are pretty indestructable and they look good too. I like to find the old ones on craigslist as long as the paint is good and I flock the heads myself. It saves a lot compared to buying them new
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby RangerX » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:39 am

I prefer full bodies...

I hunt with GHG FFD's and Dakotas... I know you don't need quality to kill, but man, these decoys are nice. GHG's have very nice motion as well.

We put down 186 birds in the September season hunting over these...
RangerX
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:07 pm

RangerX wrote:I prefer full bodies...

I hunt with GHG FFD's and Dakotas... I know you don't need quality to kill, but man, these decoys are nice. GHG's have very nice motion as well.

:clapping: "We"=`s...how many shooters ... :bow: AND... :bow: how many hunts :clapping: :beer: :thumbsup:
vt.honker
hunter

Postby RangerX » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:26 am

vt.honker wrote:
RangerX wrote:I prefer full bodies...

:clapping: "We"=`s...how many shooters ... :bow: AND... :bow: how many hunts :clapping: :beer: :thumbsup:

I think 10 hunts maybe? We usually hunt 3-4; but the last couple days of the season, we hunted 7-8. We hit our limit most days... for sure a good early season.

*edit - I'll get some pics up sometime... crazy, just piles and piles of birds. :)
RangerX
hunter

Postby Vtwaterfowler » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:30 am

Nice ranger! thats putting the hammer down!! :hammer:
our crew did pretty good too- for the whole september season we got 114 birds and 12 were banded. it was a good start to the year! :beer:
Vtwaterfowler
hunter

Postby RangerX » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:58 am

Vtwaterfowler wrote:Nice ranger! thats putting the hammer down!! :hammer:
our crew did pretty good too- for the whole september season we got 114 birds and 12 were banded. it was a good start to the year! :beer:

Very nice, we ended up with 5 bands...

Did you get into the migrators that showed up the last three days of the season? It was crazy, many were young lessers... but thousands of them.

Nick
RangerX
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:09 pm

:bow:WOW!! Nice job guys :clapping: ...looking forward to seeing some of those pics :yes: :yes: .Hope you continue your success the rest of the regular season :beer: :beer: :thumbsup:
vt.honker
hunter

Postby VTfowl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:07 am

well i ended up going with the bigfoot b2's haha. I bought a dozen and they were on sale for only 140 so it wasn't bad. We got into the migrators the second to last day of the season. We had three guys and got out limit by 9. There were a lot of lessers like someone said earlier but a couple big boys too. Can't wait for thursday! :hammer: :thumbsup: :grooving:
if it flies it dies
VTfowl
hunter

Postby vt.honker » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:51 pm

VTfowl wrote:well i ended up going with the bigfoot b2's haha. I bought a dozen and they were on sale for only 140 so it wasn't bad. We got into the migrators the second to last day of the season. We had three guys and got out limit by 9. There were a lot of lessers like someone said earlier but a couple big boys too. Can't wait for thursday! :hammer: :thumbsup: :grooving:

:yes: :yes: Using 3/4 dz.R.G.silos and hunting ALONE my tally was 18 geese in Sept.+11 in Oct....NOT BAD FOR A 69 YR.OLD GOOSE ADDICT :grooving: ...NO BANDS THOUGH :rolleyes:
vt.honker
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting