Migratory Waterfowl Authorization

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

Migratory Waterfowl Authorization

Postby ohtajj » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:22 pm

So, my plans for the opener changed and I am going to be on the west side for family stuff. My brother in-law lives over there and is going to take me out to Skagit. Not sure where, but he says he's got a spot in mind.

My question is this- does anyone know if it takes a full 10 business days to be able to pick up a migratory waterfowl auth for snows? That would put me at Monday I think. If so Ill just stick with ducks and canadas but I'd love to be able to shoot a couple of snows if we get the chance.
ohtajj
hunter

Re: Migratory Waterfowl Authorization

Postby aaronoto » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:12 pm

Mine came pretty quick, not sure exactly how long, but it seemed like only a few days. I've always been surprised at how quickly WDFW sends out licenses when you purchase online.
aaronoto
hunter

Postby kcidkcus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:39 pm

Is the authorization just a west side thing? Ik you need it for sea ducks but do you need it for snows on the east side? It's rare to see one in my area so I haven't shot any. Just wondering?
Shooting a spike is like getting it on with your step sister, you are glad you put some meat away but you don't brag it up to your friends.
kcidkcus
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:07 pm

You only need the snow authorization in the Skagit area.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby Shade » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:56 am

For the first time application, Yes, it takes a full 10 days. The application is only needed the first time, or if you skip a year purchasing the Migratory Authorization. If you had one last year it is a simple "buy" online and they give you a printable temporary license for immediate use. They send the real one in the mail and it usually only takes a couple days.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:41 am

Well, I got an email from WDFW saying I can pick up my authorization at any dealer so looks like I'm good to go. I thought I was gonna be out of luck, but I'm pretty excited!

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
ohtajj
hunter

Postby ohtajj » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:24 am

kcidkcus wrote:Is the authorization just a west side thing? Ik you need it for sea ducks but do you need it for snows on the east side? It's rare to see one in my area so I haven't shot any. Just wondering?

Just to be clear... Yes, you can shoot snows in management area 4 if you see them and you don't need any special auth. I have only ever seen one group of 5 of them over here. Flew over our blind at about 30 yards but I didn't know the law so I let them fly and then called wdfw. Haven't seen any since

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
ohtajj
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting