Taxidermists west central MN or northeast SD?

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Taxidermists west central MN or northeast SD?

Postby Chewy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:38 pm

So my wife shot her first duck on Saturday and would like to have it mounted. Any recommendations for a good taxidermist in the West central MN or North east SD area? We live in Big Stone County and will drive a bit for someone decent. We also drive to Fargo, ND on a monthly basis if you know of anyone in that area. Thanks!!
Chewy
hunter

Re: Taxidermists west central MN or northeast SD?

Postby beretta24 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Flyway Taxidermy in st cloud....a little drive but worth it. He only does birds and is one of the best. You can also ship the bird out anywhere in the US if you want.

1 of 3 he did for me. One thing though, most birds are absolute schit this time of year so know it may not look great mounted. Some guys might not even offer to do em. I'm not saying don't because its a personal decision, but understand that bird probably has poor plumage.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1380587110943.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1380587110943.jpg (20.16 KiB) Viewed 358 times
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Chewy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:15 pm

Thanks I just found his website and my wife loved his work. Yeah the bird is pretty brown and lacks color but it was her first and she could care less! I have been trying to convince her to wait another month for one with better plumage but it is her bird so I will run with it!! :wink:
Chewy
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Chewy wrote:Thanks I just found his website and my wife loved his work. Yeah the bird is pretty brown and lacks color but it was her first and she could care less! I have been trying to convince her to wait another month for one with better plumage but it is her bird so I will run with it!! :wink:

I completely understand, good luck!
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:42 pm

beretta24 wrote:Flyway Taxidermy in st cloud....a little drive but worth it. He only does birds and is one of the best. You can also ship the bird out anywhere in the US if you want.

1 of 3 he did for me. One thing though, most birds are absolute schit this time of year so know it may not look great mounted. Some guys might not even offer to do em. I'm not saying don't because its a personal decision, but understand that bird probably has poor plumage.

thats tight, where did you shoot that long tailed duck?
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:32 am

Maryland....Chesapeake Bay
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:51 am

Go visit his shop he has a lot of his own on display and he will have a lot of. Customers were also out for you to look at
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:54 am

Did you skin that long tail out brian or send it to him whole. I've done to long tails and yea my hand stuck like fish for three days no matter how much I scrubd.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:34 am

Delivered it in person whole...good memory because I would've likely never met my wife if I hadn't gone up there.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby chasing the GREEN » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:22 pm

yea I've heard nothing but good things about Flyway. he has won some big time contests with his mounts from what I hear. just be prepared its usually over a year minimum before you will see it.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting