Custom Boat "Must-Haves"

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Custom Boat "Must-Haves"

Postby Cliner » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Has anyone had a custom duck boat built for them? If so, what are some "must-haves" that I shouldn't forget? Is there anything you wish you didn't put in? I am having my first custom boat built and would like to do it right the first time :lol3: Thanks in advance for your input. :beer:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Re: Custom Boat "Must-Haves"

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:35 pm

I have not had a custom boat built. But I will not have a boat without a slpash well. I would have Ice Breakers, Storage box for essentials and guns, and under front deck storage with door.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby maclavin » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:39 pm

Who is building it?
maclavin
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:09 pm

Cujo1 wrote:I have not had a custom boat built. But I will not have a boat without a slpash well

This

One of the safest things you can have.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby koonce727 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:09 pm

Ive never had a custom boat built as well but have had a few boats over the years. One huge thing I like is a 12 volt plug in for spotlights, etc. Also a drain on each side of the rear of the boat vs just one side, and an over-sized drain never hurts either(ya get a lot of crap in the bottom of the boat getting in out of it during the season).

A quality electrical panel is also a must have imo, the last thing you want to deal with is some cobble job of corrosion nightmare(learned this one the hard way)
Handles on the rear of the boat and one on the front(for strapping/trailering purposes and pulling), also anchor ties on both side of the boat vs one like I have now.

Ice breaker are also nice if your more north where you get ice, I also like trim tabs, have buddies whose boats would porpoise with out them.

If your going with a narrower boat, Spud pole kit is nice to have.

If you run heavy mud or get stuck a lot, a welded bracket to support a winch is a damned nice thing to have, along with a winch obviously.

These are by no means essentials, but def something's to consider.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby 3CK » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:14 pm

Hunt Deck
Spud Pole mounts (front and rear)
The most open floor plan you can manage
False Floor
3/16" Bottom
2- 2" Drain Plugs
Catwalks
Hydroturf
Grab rails front and back
1854 Uncle J with Stage2 GTR
3CK
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:51 pm

Open floor plan and I personally love low profile deck lights
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby Cliner » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks for all the ideas! There are plenty I would have never thought of. It will be a 1756 with a very open floor plan for running the missouri river and big lakes. Ice will definitely be a factor.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby nathanjr. » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:48 pm

drink holder
nathanjr.
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:03 pm

grab bar for stand up motor operation presuming it will be tiller engine. Gun box/rod box is awesome love having one in my boat now will never go back to not having one. Gas tank under the front deck with a lid on top to access the area in fron of the gas tank. My boat has the gas tank up front wish it had a hatch to access the rest of the area under the deck in front of the tank it would be a perfect area for anchor, rope and extra life fest, and spot light. Wiring run up front for a bow mount trolling motor this is worth having them put in because the wire is thick and expensive and easier to put in a hide before the boat is completed rather than after. That is assuming a trolling motor is something you want I fish and hunt my boat so I use a trolling motor a lot fishing. Good paint your never going to get a paint job to stick to the boat as good as the first in my experience so go with a good one you want form the start. Good solid handles up front and back as it has already been mentioned is a must. Good cleats on both sides front and back that solidly mounted for anchoring or tying off to stuff.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:19 pm

If you think you will be happy with a 1756 in big water, go with a 2072 and KNOW you will be happy. 28" min. side height, tall transom, dual axle trailer, 2" drains (as stated) is a good start.
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:25 am

Dumb question from a guy with an old boat: What are splash wells? And ice breakers?
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:42 pm

splash wells that I know of are guard type covering that extends into the boat from the transom to let water drain/roll back into the water when you let the throttle off fast so it the water doesn't just roll over the transom into the boat. I breakers Idk I guess some points on bottom front that help break through the ice. Anyone got pictures or a better description.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:03 pm

I would go with 1/8 alu all around. I use 6061 t6 when I build my boats I like a hull I can brake ice with I do double welds inside and out good luck and post pictures :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds