center console for hunting?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

center console for hunting?

Postby gawaterfowler » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Hey guys I'm still looking for my open water duck boat to hunt lakes and rivers. I currently have my sights on a grizzly 1754 cc its a couple years old with a 40hp motor. Do any of you guys run a cc hunting? What's the pros and cons? And far as the boat goes I'm not worried about length cause I have a smaller Jon and a four rivers for the real skinny. Also I won't be breaking ice so the .100 thickness is OK with me
gawaterfowler
hunter

Re: center console for hunting?

Postby Boatman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:53 am

A 1754 IMO is not wide enough for CC depending on how wide the CC is. If it is narrow 12-20" you may be ok any wider and it gets tight walking by the CC. More so when you have on heavy coats and waders on. I use one on a 1860 and like it. Gives me some where to hide from the wind on those cold boat rides to the honey hole. We pile all the deeks down one side in bags and than you have the other side to walk by.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:18 am

Like boatman said, as long as it is a narrow console you should be alright. IMO CC's are great for fishing, but eat up too much floor space for hunting. If you are just using your boat to get into a spot, you should be alright, but if you are hunting out of it, I would comsider something else.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby gawaterfowler » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:31 am

I'm going to look at it Friday and I'm a college student so finding a good reliable boat is hard to find in my budget. Consoles in general eat up a lot of floor space me to me but like I said its hard to be super picky in my price range
gawaterfowler
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:06 am

gawaterfowler wrote:I'm going to look at it Friday and I'm a college student so finding a good reliable boat is hard to find in my budget. Consoles in general eat up a lot of floor space me to me but like I said its hard to be super picky in my price range

I hear you. Even if it is something to just get you on the water you will be better off than you are now. I am in the process of looking for an 1860 or 2072 cc for fishing out of. It just isnt a popular style around here.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby gawaterfowler » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:27 am

Well way I look at it I hunt 2 and a dog on the river or lake most of the time so I don't know that the console will actually get in the way it'll be more on an inconvenience kinda thing
gawaterfowler
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:34 pm

tiller all the way but if its what you can afford, near by, and what you can find cc can work
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds