Hunting Trip Cancelled...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Hunting Trip Cancelled...

Postby AKWoody » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:11 am

Well.. I've been trying to plan a duck hunting trip to Valdez to hunt with a co-worker now for two years. Last year, it didnt work out due to a new job and no time off. This year was looking good...until my wife started masters classes every other Saturday, which leave no one to watch the kids while I'm gone. Just venting here, but Im feeling pretty frustrated since we are about 3-4 weeks away from hard freeze. After that its over. Ive gotten a few small trips in, but havent done particullary well so far.

Im just venting. I cant wait till the kids are old enough to take with me, then this wont be an issue!

On a side note, the migration is starting. We are seeing large flocks of widgeon and bluebills, plus oddball things like scoters on the lake I hunt. Starting to see a few lessers in flocks around town, and a few tundra swans are starting to show as well. They are on their way boys!
AKWoody
hunter

Re: Hunting Trip Cancelled...

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:17 am

AKWoody wrote:Well.. I've been trying to plan a duck hunting trip to Valdez to hunt with a co-worker now for two years. Last year, it didnt work out due to a new job and no time off. This year was looking good...until my wife started masters classes every other Saturday, which leave no one to watch the kids while I'm gone. Just venting here, but Im feeling pretty frustrated since we are about 3-4 weeks away from hard freeze. After that its over. Ive gotten a few small trips in, but havent done particullary well so far.

Im just venting. I cant wait till the kids are old enough to take with me, then this wont be an issue!

On a side note, the migration is starting. We are seeing large flocks of widgeon and bluebills, plus oddball things like scoters on the lake I hunt. Starting to see a few lessers in flocks around town, and a few tundra swans are starting to show as well. They are on their way boys!

Sorry about the canceled trip...
But that last part is some of the best news I have heard all week (even though that is a different flyway)!

My hunting group had to cancel our trip to the Dakotas for the last two years due to work and other things as well. I know how you feel... it sucks.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:18 am

I understand the frustration, I've been there. I will say this, don't wish away your kiddies' younger years. Cherish all the time you can get with them while they are young. You'll wake up one morning and overnight it will seem as though 10 years has passed like a blink of an eye and your kids are teenagers. Once they're teenagers, life gets much more hellish.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby mjohnson81 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:24 am

At least your group sticks together....

I was planning a trip for next year on the St Lawrence river. Well one of the guys in the groups decides that he wants to go this year. Long story short him and 2 or 3 guys from a group of 5 are going this year instead. When the rest can't.
Last edited by mjohnson81 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjohnson81
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:06 pm

mjohnson81 wrote:At least your group sticks together....

I was planning a trip for next year on the St Lawrence river. Well one of the guys in the groups decides that he wants to go this year. Long story short him and 2 or 3 guys from a group of 5 are going this year instead. When the rest can't.

**** move.

That sucks, man. Friends can be the worst kind of ***** sometimes. Hopefully you don't have the non-scouting, non-effort type "hunting buds" like I have.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby AKWoody » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:23 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:Sorry about the canceled trip...
But that last part is some of the best news I have heard all week (even though that is a different flyway)!

My hunting group had to cancel our trip to the Dakotas for the last two years due to work and other things as well. I know how you feel... it sucks.

According to the ADF&G waterfowl biologist, Alaska feeds all four flyways. So, chances are, you'll see some of our birds this year.
AKWoody
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:20 pm

sorry about your hunt that sucks. but while we are on the topic of venting, when i walked out to my truck this morning i discovered that the dead tree/10 foot stump i park by had decided to come down over night, right onto my hood. my own fault for not cutting it down. :fingerhead:
Attachments
doh.JPG
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:22 pm

sorry, i had to vent, too. it really does suck you couldnt get out on your hunt.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:26 pm

A chevy would have busted that stump into a million pieces.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:27 pm

:lol: i knew that was coming.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby AKWoody » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:20 pm

Well, my hunt is back on... Just not this weekend. I'm in talks with my coworker to do it the weekend of the 18th. Only problem is that the birds may or may not be there. It all depends on old man winter. Lets keep our fingers corssed that it doesnt come too soon!

The real sucky part is the high tides coincide with legal shooting time in Valdez this weekend. The tide is really going to push the birds off of the duck flats for sure. Its going to be a hell of a shoot! Too bad I wont be there.
AKWoody
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:16 pm

AK, if you need to, just drop off the kiddos when you hunt and the wife and I will gladly baby sit for them :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Proffesor, That dead tree would have been a dandy next year :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby simplepeddler » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:53 pm

I remember feeling the same way.........all three of my children were born in November..........our season usually starts in mid-November......

But then, they we started youth hunting with them. Many times, the youth hunt was on one of their birthdays........particullary my youngest......

I have a book my wife made me of all of our youth hunts.......
last year was out last youth hunt together......

It's a pain, but it's over in not time at all really
simplepeddler
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole