Quota hunts

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Quota hunts

Postby scruggs12 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:13 am

Anybody know when the dates will be released if you get drawn? One of mine says "not released". Does that mean I did not get it or they haven't officially said I was drawn? Also, to clarify, the other results says "draw pending".
scruggs12
hunter

Re: Quota hunts

Postby gooosehunter » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:22 pm

It takes a several days for them to figure out if they have screwed it up again before they release numbers. A couple of years ago a friend got his hunt picks back with incredible results. The DGIF sent him a letter indicating his letter(s) were being withdrawn due to an error. He then received new numbers a week later with drastically different results.
Good luck to you and everyone else. I hope you get want you want.

Any ideas on how to get the DGIF to open up Hog Island and the other areas to more than one day per week of hunting? It seems there are only a limited number of slots open and only one day per week is starting to get on my nerves. Two times per week will double your chances of being selected for a hunt.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:31 pm

i am in full agreement but then where will all the birdwatchers go? i'll ask the bioligist next time i see him. wednesdays and saturdays would work.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby kahunna » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:42 pm

I would imagine that Saturdays-only hunting is a direct result of budgetary problems!
kahunna
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:24 pm

hey since all the government is shutdown, wonder if we could have at the waterfowl on Chinco Refuge.. THERES THE SILVER LINING! Pick you on the way Have gun!
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Undrcoverrednek » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:48 pm

kahunna wrote:I would imagine that Saturdays-only hunting is a direct result of budgetary problems!

This is fact and was discussed in detail at a WMA meeting at Smithfield High a few years ago. I believe there was also some hate and consternation because they didn't hunt all the blinds. There was not budget to hire anybody but the WMA manager to run the hunts and apparently there wasn't a suitable volunteer agreement to help run the hunts.
swampbilly 1980 wrote:I'm a poor man, but I'd pay good money to taste some of that juicy white meat...
Undrcoverrednek
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:30 am

That applys to Hog Island, not the other locations where you are selected and just go. Back bay is run by volunteers to check you in for the hunt day.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby Deadrise » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 am

Was also at Smithfield H.S. and Creeds Elementary School in Back Bay for those quota hunt meetings. Although the budget factors into most DGIF moves, the change to one day a week hunting at Hog Island was also made to offer improved gunning opportunities. The folks on the ground suggested that hunting one day a week encouraged more waterfowl use by creating less repeated disturbance. Their observations were that the area is more or less devoid of ducks for several days after each hunt. My math might be off slightly, but the end result was that more blinds (nine v. five) were hunted under the current scheme but only once per seven days. The number of people allowed in each blind was increased by one person to three. The net goal was to have the same number of hunters per week while shooting the area just once during that period. The primary gripe at that time was that the stand-by program was abolished.
The budget aspect is/ was that the DGIF is reimbursed three dollars for every dollar spent by the US Fish and Wildlife Service for the majority of the work that DGIF does. This reimbursement is referred to as Pitman Robertson monies and is derived from an excise tax on bullets and firearms. It is the lifeblood of wildlife agencies across the U.S. The catch is that the money has to be used, generally speaking, for wildlife habitat restoration (planting, tilling, flooding, purchasing land, burning, erecting gates, technical assistance on private lands, surveys, etc.) but can not be used for running quota hunts. The result is that DGIF staff time costs us, the license buyers, three times as much when the staff member works quota hunts v. other work. The genesis of the volunteer efforts at Princess Anne, and elsewhere, can be traced to declining revenue from decreasing license sales which has lead to tough decisions about how DGIF spends our license dollar monies.
If you think twice a week is better; have different ideas; speak for a group; etc. don't hesitate to communicate your thoughts to the DGIF. Typically if your ideas are not addressed to your satisfaction there are probably underlying reasons e.g. budget, push back from other hunters, lack of resources, unsupportive data, etc. and not b/c the folks at DGIF are from the government and "know better" or are lazy. As a result of comments about stand-by's the program at Hog Island was re-instituted and one was kicked off for the Princess Anne impoundments.
Last edited by Deadrise on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deadrise
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:28 am

Just sayin... We have a great ( CWF) Comprehensive Work Force at DGIF in place now. No reason why our volunteers could not help out in a big way to help man.manage the hunts at the locations such as Hog Island and the others!!! We did it with the dove hunts,let's expand, not reduce the opportinities :beer:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:43 am

I wish they would raise the cost of a basic hunting license to $40.00. It really is not much more and the money could go to good use state wide. For one, the bioligist and enforcement guys could use a bump in salary. Also, raise the cost of the quota hunts to $10.00-$12.00. I know the current price is $7.50 but ZERO dollars goes to the DGIF. I ask why? The use of the property has cost associated with the hunts and it should be paid for by the hunters using the property. Not the average joe deer hunter who hunts private land or leased land. I would not mind paying out a few more dollars and the combined efforts and moniey from the large group of users would make a difference. That is if the money is managed correctly and not dumped into the gereral fund.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby nickp9797 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:11 pm

There is a big difference between the volunteer's responsibilities at princess anne than at hog island. Having to go through a nuclear facility is part of it, just as much as the liability of driving a state truck pulling a trailer with people on it through the muddy paths in the dark and knowing where the blind locations are. This is a little different than making sure a draw goes fairly. Point being the reason hog island doesn't operate like other WMAs is due to the nature of the location as well as getting to and from the hunting locations once on the property.
nickp9797
hunter

Postby skydog » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:21 pm

gooosehunter wrote:I wish they would raise the cost of a basic hunting license to $40.00. It really is not much more and the money could go to good use state wide. For one, the bioligist and enforcement guys could use a bump in salary. Also, raise the cost of the quota hunts to $10.00-$12.00. I know the current price is $7.50 but ZERO dollars goes to the DGIF. I ask why? The use of the property has cost associated with the hunts and it should be paid for by the hunters using the property. Not the average joe deer hunter who hunts private land or leased land. I would not mind paying out a few more dollars and the combined efforts and moniey from the large group of users would make a difference. That is if the money is managed correctly and not dumped into the gereral fund.

I hear where you're coming from but that is a big IF in my opinion. Between huting/fishing licenses, stamps, big game, and blind tags a lot of us are already giving the state over $100/year....not to mention how much additional revenue we contribute indirectly to the state (sales tax on gas, breakfasts, trips to green top, etc) through hunting and fishing. I don't think the license fees need to be increased at all but I can understand increasing the quota hunt fee a bit so that the state actually gets to see some of that money. To your point, I agree that folks who are using the services (quota hunts, etc) should bare more of the costs associated with them over the private land hunter. If you increase the license fee it assesses public and private land hunters equally, which doesn't seem fair to me.
skydog
hunter

Postby nickp9797 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:37 pm

pay a fee to apply, then if selected pay a fee for the hunt itself.
nickp9797
hunter

Postby wvlippo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:42 pm

Deadrise wrote:The budget aspect is/ was that the DGIF is reimbursed three dollars for every dollar spent by the US Fish and Wildlife Service for the majority of the work that DGIF does. This reimbursement is referred to as Pitman Robertson monies and is derived from an excise tax on bullets and firearms. It is the lifeblood of wildlife agencies across the U.S. The catch is that the money has to be used, generally speaking, for wildlife habitat restoration (planting, tilling, flooding, purchasing land, burning, erecting gates, technical assistance on private lands, surveys, etc.) but can not be used for running quota hunts.

Speaking of Pittman Robertson $$ - With firearms and ammo making unbelievable record setting sales Game agencies around the county are getting more $ than they ever imagined yet our public lands still suck unless you count the national forests out west and VA DGIF can get no credit for that. What’s DGIF doing with these millions of dollars??
The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The amendment that guarantees all the rest.
wvlippo
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:37 pm

wvlippo
I dont think anyone thought of that angle. I know people who purchased thousand upon thousands of dollars in ammo. The tax from the ammo and firearm sales has to be a huge number. I wonder what the difference is from several years ago until 2012. Hmm?
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:53 am

The DGIF has release some of the results for the quota hunts. Check your results.
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:05 am

no doe creek, no **** cross.....
lbhansford
hunter

Postby gooshntr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:35 am

big reject for me on Doe Creek and ****'s Cross. Also no luck on Amelia and Featherfin turkey hunts.
gooshntr
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:38 am

Got my Swan tag.... All for me !

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby gooosehunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:47 am

They have released the PA Float Blind and Swan results. The DGIF is having problems with their computers. You are not able to open or see your PA documents yet.
Got my swan again
Cheers
Dave
gooosehunter
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:14 am

got my swan tag as well :grooving:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:26 am

Guys... used to have a spot holding Swan... all gone now, my decoys are collecting dust :oops: BUT.... if anyone has room for a fellow with a tag... Would greatly appreciate "a lit help" this season :wink:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby kahunna » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:45 am

No winners for me...but I did get drawn for the Wolf Trap Light Cormorant Removal Quota Hunt on January 19th! Does anyone have any longline decoys I could borrow, or a thirty-five footer for the run out there?
kahunna
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:00 pm

kahunna wrote:No winners for me...but I did get drawn for the Wolf Trap Light Cormorant Removal Quota Hunt on January 19th! Does anyone have any longline decoys I could borrow, or a thirty-five footer for the run out there?

huh??

if there is such a thing I want in.. I can't stand a commie. we can take the 40 trawler and camp out for days lol......
lbhansford
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:21 pm

If you don't like your drawi numbers or anything else, I have it on good authority that it is DAVE'S FAULT! :nana:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Next

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting