Quota hunts

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

Re: Quota hunts

Postby skimerhorn » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:25 pm

I got my swan, Amelia turkey, and dove hunt earlier 3 for 3 this year. Think I'm gonna buy a lotto ticket tonight. Lol
skimerhorn
hunter

Postby Gwhitt » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:06 pm

**** Cross on November 27! Anyone hunt there before and have some advice? First time for me. Ponds look pretty small and shallow. Was thinking shore blind, but do have an inflatable pontoon set up for hunting two and a dog. Any intell. or advice would be greatly appreciated.
West of 95
Gwhitt
Newb

Postby burbba » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Sounds like everyone got blanked on the quotas... i'm hoping this means it hasnt been released yet!
burbba
hunter

Postby fowl mouth » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:13 am

didnt get HI :crying:
Liberty '14-Broadcasting/Digital Media
DUCKHILL BEAU
What a man will do for a duck
#SOMEDUCKSINVA
fowl mouth
State Moderator

Postby Cap'm Pooty » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:57 am

I was in the knotts island grocery on sunday talking to some folks that was hunting in the marsh at pocahontas on the opening days of teal season. someobody thought that they could put a couple of them chem lights or portable lights on a float blind stake the night before and reserve that spot. somebody got there and tied out at that spot and 20 minutes later the reservers came flying up and started a fight with them saying that it was their spot. Well, it aint their spot unless they are tied up at 5:30 am. What the reservers didnt know is that the person at the stake was the worse person they could have started a fight with when it comes to duck hunting. Lets say that next year, either you wont be able to hunt on PAWMA during the teal and early duck seasons, or you will have to do a draw like during the regular ducks season. You can thank some of the locals for camping out at the stakes the night before and hunting the stakes on off days. Too many people hunting ducks.
Cap'm Pooty
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:11 am

Cap'm Pooty wrote:Too many people hunting ducks.

I seriously would love to know where all these people came from. It wasn't like this as short as 5 years ago. I wish they would go back to wherever they came from.

If nothing else they can stay the hell away from my blind stake. I put a smily face sticker on it so it is reserved for me opening day. :yes:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby skydog » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:33 am

A5Gunner wrote:
Cap'm Pooty wrote:Too many people hunting ducks.

I seriously would love to know where all these people came from. It wasn't like this as short as 5 years ago. I wish they would go back to wherever they came from.

If nothing else they can stay the hell away from my blind stake. I put a smily face sticker on it so it is reserved for me opening day. :yes:

I mostly hunt skinny/private waters so my perspective is not the best here....but I'm always confused by the anecdotal evidence from the folks on here talking about how many newcomers there are to the sport making it tougher on everyone VS. the numbers put out by the state (collected from stamp sales) that show a relatively static number of hunters over the last 5-10 years...

Not saying that what yall see first hand on the waters isn't the case, but can anyone explain this to me?
skydog
hunter

Postby Cap'm Pooty » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:38 am

the internet and duck commander has ruined it.
Cap'm Pooty
hunter

Postby skydog » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:41 am

Pooty, I'm well aware of that common perception on here but that doens't explain how the state claims the number of duck hunters hasn't really changed over the last 10 years while a lot of yall complain about how much more overcrowded the waters are today than they were 10 years ago...just doesn't add up to me :no:
skydog
hunter

Postby Cap'm Pooty » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:52 am

Simple, everybody talks too much and eventually everybody goes to the same good spots, or better spots...ducks aint the only thing that you can bait to a partuclar spot.
Cap'm Pooty
hunter

Postby skydog » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:57 am

Cap'm Pooty wrote:Simple, everybody talks too much and eventually everybody goes to the same good spots, or better spots...ducks aint the only thing that you can bait to a partuclar spot.

Valid point, makes sense to me
skydog
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:09 am

I can't answer for the state's data but I know what I see on the water and it has gotten really crowded. I have said it before, for years we ahve lost more and more wetlands to development yet the state thinks nothing has changed in 20 years. What you have is fewer areas to hunt and more or the same (I doubt it) numbers of people hunting. Plus the nubies now will flock to the advertised WMA's or anything they can find on the internet vs. working to secure a place closer to them. People that had places are getting older or have lost places to development and are getting out . Population shift is pushing hunters into a much smaller hunting ground.

I can remember not long ago a weekday hunt at the drawing at BB was 5 guys looking at each other and deciding where to go. Now it it 30 plus boats on every draw and more on the weekends or when Carolina is on the split. Too bad, used to be a nice relaxing hunt. Never great duck numbers. Now it's getting real crowded.

I always chuckle when I hear DGIF and "the Industry" say we need to "grow the sport". Where are these people supposed to hunt? I wish that show was called "Buck Dynasty". The deer population and resources can accomodate a large influx of new people, duck hunting has been at it's carrying capacity for a while now. I can only hope that these assclowns will find a new fad soon.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:13 am

A5Gunner wrote:I can't answer for the state's data but I know what I see on the water and it has gotten really crowded. I have said it before, for years we ahve lost more and more wetlands to development yet the state thinks nothing has changed in 20 years. What you have is fewer areas to hunt and more or the same (I doubt it) numbers of people hunting. Plus the nubies now will flock to the advertised WMA's or anything they can find on the internet vs. working to secure a place closer to them. People that had places are getting older or have lost places to development and are getting out . Population shift is pushing hunters into a much smaller hunting ground.

I can remember not long ago a weekday hunt at the drawing at BB was 5 guys looking at each other and deciding where to go. Now it it 30 plus boats on every draw and more on the weekends or when Carolina is on the split. Too bad, used to be a nice relaxing hunt. Never great duck numbers. Now it's getting real crowded.

I always chuckle when I hear DGIF and "the Industry" say we need to "grow the sport". Where are these people supposed to hunt? I wish that show was called "Buck Dynasty". The deer population and resources can accomodate a large influx of new people, duck hunting has been at it's carrying capacity for a while now. I can only hope that these assclowns will find a new fad soon.

UI dont ever discourage new hunters but I do agree 100%. wetlands are being destroyed at alarming rates and the few areas left to hunt are so sewn up with blinds every 495 yards apart all the way around a piece of property like alot of the plantations. One group of 5 guys can own a serious swath of water, almost a whole creek really. My opinion, Blind laws on saltwater or BIG water. All the creeks and marshes fair game....
lbhansford
hunter

Postby skydog » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:27 am

lbhansford wrote:UI dont ever discourage new hunters but I do agree 100%. wetlands are being destroyed at alarming rates and the few areas left to hunt are so sewn up with blinds every 495 yards apart all the way around a piece of property like alot of the plantations. One group of 5 guys can own a serious swath of water, almost a whole creek really. My opinion, Blind laws on saltwater or BIG water. All the creeks and marshes fair game....

I really like that idea...you got my vote!
skydog
hunter

Postby bay gunner » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:52 am

Can't really support "growing the sport" either, myself. Duck hunting, and hunting in general, is in a decline stage from which there can be no recovery. New hunters are only required to replace those hunting now that pass away or retire from the sport. Any further growth beyond that is unsustainable. I always laugh at these VAWFA and other new hunter training events. Where are they all gonna hunt? Train your children to hunt. That's it.
bay gunner
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:17 pm

I can't blame someone for liking the outdoors and wanting to hunt and such. I have a problem with recruiting efforts to get people into the sport that would other wise do something else. If they want to play video games, then let them. What we do isn't a sport like soccer or baseball. The field we play in is shrinking and unlike baseball or soccer we can't simply build another stadium when it gets too crowded. That may not be popular but that's my opinion for whatever it is worth.

BTW The blind laws work for me because I think it is probably going to be the only thing that saves the quality of the hunting experience, at least in my case where I hunt. Call me lazy if you want but I don't want to be at a spot at 01:00 so that I can beat out the next guy. What the hell is fun about that? Hunting isn't a competition for me. It doesn't have to be easy, I just don't see the atraction into turning into something it shouldn't be.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Ducks27 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Its a double edged sword, more duck hunters means more people crammed into the spaces available to hunt. However more hunters means more people supporting the sport. After living in NOVA for a few years and seeing the anti s every day, I don't think turning people away from sport is a good idea at all, well that is if you want to be able to hunt for the next 20 years.
Ducks27
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:05 pm

The QUOTA HUNT SYSTEM is what has the look of a lot new hunters , public hunting 5 or so years ago was you made the trip and hope you get a good spot or any . Today you throw 7 bucks for each hunt you want to try for and if you hit you know you will have a spot and show up without a clue which makes you stand out as a newbe .
Dang the system this year I'm hanging tight to my spots or hunt public spots that are help yourself kind .

:yes: LD :smile:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Ducks27 wrote:Its a double edged sword, more duck hunters means more people crammed into the spaces available to hunt. However more hunters means more people supporting the sport. After living in NOVA for a few years and seeing the anti s every day, I don't think turning people away from sport is a good idea at all, well that is if you want to be able to hunt for the next 20 years.

I don't see anybody being turned away, how would you turn them away? On the other hand, I don't think it is necessary to recruit or encourage people to hunt if they wouldn't otherwise to "save the sport". Too many people will destroy the resource and habatat and end public hunting faster than the anti-s. Look at what the masses have done to Yelloestone and other places...not much wild left in them. What is still wild is off limits to people. P.S. in VA we have a constitutional ammendment that garuntees to right to hunt and fish.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Ducks27 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:37 pm

I agree with your point, What I believe is if you get rid of the new hunter programs we may loose the potential hunters who will support conservation efforts and put more money towards the programs that support public lands.
Ducks27
hunter

Previous

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting