Calling Ducks

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Calling Ducks

Postby SATX duckman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:07 pm

Fellas,

Hope ya'll were able to find some success in taking teal while it was open. I've started looking through all of these fancy duck merchandise magazines and notice that they only consider you a sponsorship worthy duck hunter if you have won some sort of national calling championship. I kinda got a laugh about that. Anyhow i'm wondering if there are any places or seminars that you know of or have been to where they get you started on how to call em in.

thanks for the help :thumbsup:
SATX duckman
hunter

Re: Calling Ducks

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:20 pm

Wouldn't consider it a "sponsorship" more a discounted rate by working conventions and booths at stores.

Go ask for help in the duck calling forum, there was some guy on there that actually helped another member over skype learn how to call.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby DoubleBayou » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:44 pm

A 'competition caller' cadence is far different from real world 'hunting callers'
But they are certainly good callers, they just change it up pretty drastically for actual hunting.

BassPro and Cabelas here in DFW host seminars a couple times a year!
Cabelas Fort Worth had one this past August 1st, that's the last one I knew about.
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby SATX duckman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:54 pm

I was going to post in the duck calling but figured since i'm in Texas and this is the Texas forum i'd start out here to see if there was anything local.

Thanks for the help.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:17 pm

SA, I'm trying to figure out what you were looking to do specifically. Become a sponsor worthy duck hunter? Call ducks better, improve ? Become a guide maybe? Any way here are a few places where you may be able to find the help you are looking for;

Here on the calling forum
Through either the Delta Waterfowl or DU websites
YouTube
Callingducks.com
Facebook has some groups where if you upload a short video you can get some feedback on your calling.
Even on the call makers website or if it's a company with good customer service they will help you, to a point. They know their calls and how to run them.

The best of these for me is either from the call maker or through the forums/ Facebook group. You can't be afraid to get a little feedback/ criticism from fellow hunters . Good luck, hope this helped.
tako1972
hunter

Postby SATX duckman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Im not looking to be an award winning caller. Just having troubles trying to get a quack sound right outta the calls i have bought.
I guess for starters i have a buck gardner double nasty. A zinks power hen and a buck gardner spitfire. Hoping those are good calls to start out on. Ill check out the places you suggested and the manufacturesfor some feedback.
Appreciate the info. I was just seeing if there were any seminars in the state that anyone knew of.
SATX duckman
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Find someone that can call, and let them teach you in the field. There's A LOT more to calling ducks than blowing a call...knowing when, what type, and how much is the key.

I hear several people down here on the coast using mallard calls????...guess it's a good thing that Redheads are stupid.
:-)
hunter

Postby Mojo281 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:42 pm

:-) wrote:Find someone that can call, and let them teach you in the field. There's A LOT more to calling ducks than blowing a call...knowing when, what type, and how much is the key.

I hear several people down here on the coast using mallard calls????...guess it's a good thing that Redheads are stupid.

Couldn't have been better said!!
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting