National Wildlife Refuges Closed

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

National Wildlife Refuges Closed

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:41 pm

I just realized due to the govt shut down wildlife refuges (and any area that is federal) will be closed. Was planning a trip to red rocks this thur-sat but think I will cancel. Will make calls to double check but have been told all areas closed. All their websites already shut down. So if you are planning a hunt to a national area double check. Nothing worse than getting there to find gates locked. This goes for many boat ramps (BLM Forest Service etc) too so even access to open area will be tricky if you cant launch a boat. I was looking forward to red rocks. Even have a friend from out of state coming in and he wanted to see the area. Oh well maybe the idiots in DC will figure something out by Thursday.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Re: National Wildlife Refuges Closed

Postby erminator » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:47 pm

So, you are not allowed to hunt any wildlife refuge? Or just the boat ramps are closed? I was going to try to get down to either Lee Metcalf or Ninepipes this weekend.
erminator
hunter

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:53 pm

I had some friends tell me all national wildlife refuges are closed. And no way to call any. I plan to call FWP on wednesday and see if they have any info. An outfitter told me any federal boat ramp is closed too. They were told so they wouldn't show up to launch. If I find any info out I will be sure to post it.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Yea looks to be pretty rough. Entire CMR is closed as well, looks like a lot of dissapointed archery elk hunters this week. Wondering if all the blm land is closed as well? I hunt the breaks, but not the CMR, just some blocks of blm land. I can always hunt some block management land this weekend, but my camper is parked on some blm land up there right now so???
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby Leakydecoy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Yes, all National Wildlife Refuges are closed. According to their contingency plan, only BLM facilities, boat launches and campgrounds are closed. BLM and USFS lands are still open for hunting.
Leakydecoy
hunter

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:12 am

Yup - everything closed. Guess outdoorsmen who's duck stamps paid for the refuge land and taxes pay for management can't use their land until the idiots in DC pull their heads out. Wonder if I can can get my taxes back. I feel bad for the people who's jobs depend on the areas. The fed people will get back pay sooner or later. But all the people with stores, hotels, etc are screwed. This will have a huge effect on MT as tourism is our #1 industry. Even in Deer Lodge Grant Korhs is shut down. Thankfully we still have the great auto museum (in the top 10 in the country if anyone wonders - have to promote the town :biggrin: ) and prison museum to keep people here to spend their tourism dollars.

With the refuges shut down will effect all us hunters. Not just with those areas off limits but they will become duck havens since no hunters will push the birds around. So if you are near a refuge get ready for all the ducks in your area to high tail it to the newly created "closed zone". Guess this will be one my first years not hunting red rocks in a while. I always looked forward to it. And the stores in Dillon and Lima will miss out on my spending money along the way.

Only good news today is the weather will give us a good cold north wind tonight and maybe some new birds will arrive by Friday locally.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Postby erminator » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:48 am

Well, thanks for the update. Hopefully they get this shutdown crap dealt with soon, otherwise my duck hunting plans for this season are sunk.
erminator
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Yup, all the USFWS properties are closed, including WPA's. Watch yourselves out there if you hunt WPA's as they are technically closed and you can probably get ticketed for hunting them.

Really gonna suck for those that hunt the breaks and CMR or like to watch the elk. :fingerhead:

I know the USFWS guys aren't happy about not working and not being allowed to allow the hunters to hunt all the public properties. It ain't the employees fault, it congress and the POTUS, just remember that. This thing looks like it could drag on a good while...

As for me, I'll just keep wishing I could go back to work soon. Heck, a lot of us would go back to work for free and not even get paid if we could, but we've been told under no circumstances are we allowed to work. :sad: :help:
wingnutty
hunter

Postby jcmontgo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:53 pm

Drove to Red Rocks today..........no hunting allowed and no entry to refuge except on county roads or through roads. When I spoke to a refuge guy out there (Hes working but not getting paid) he said technically it is trespassing if you are on refuge land. He was very professional and nice about it but he is also pissed that hunters aren't allowed on. I work for the USFS here in Whitehall, MT and we are having to tell people that they cant rent cabins and actually have to kick out folks who are in cabins. Its complete BS!
There were quite a few birds around down in Red Rocks and there is already ice lingering in the mud puddles! Ive apparently got some time off so I guess I should go find some state ground to hunt! Good luck out there!
Season bird totals are for those who cannot see the forest for the trees. Count your good days, not your ducks.
"I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often"-Teddy Roosevelt
jcmontgo
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:00 pm

If your in deer lodge, why don't you just hunt the gravel ponds?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting