New to CDA

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

New to CDA

Postby mfb » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:21 pm

I've been in Coeur d Alene for a little over a year and have grown up upland hunting. I want to get into waterfowl this year and don't know where to go or anyone to go with. If anyone has advise or needs someone to go with send me a message.
mfb
Newb

Re: New to CDA

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:50 pm

Get a good pair of light waders. 1/2 dozen duck decoys. One duck call you only do single quacks on (This year),
and a baby mallard Mojo. Set up on a small creek or very shallow pond you've seen ducks move along or over, and spend the time learning.
Big plus if you have any dog that will retrieve.

Now if you should run into some competent waterfowler who will let you tag along.............. pay close attention!
You might just shave years off the learning curve.

OH. BTW: If you're prone to become addicted to things easily, stay away from waterfowling.
It can ruin marriges. Make you want to write bad checks for gear. Make all months of the year except Oct- Feb irrelevant, if not pure hell. (A fact I will argue with anybody!)

Good luck with your decision.
But remember! You were warned.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby kgrant » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 am

Fsbirdhouse wrote:Get a good pair of light waders. 1/2 dozen duck decoys. One duck call you only do single quacks on (This year),
and a baby mallard Mojo. Set up on a small creek or very shallow pond you've seen ducks move along or over, and spend the time learning.
Big plus if you have any dog that will retrieve.

Now if you should run into some competent waterfowler who will let you tag along.............. pay close attention!
You might just shave years off the learning curve.

OH. BTW: If you're prone to become addicted to things easily, stay away from waterfowling.
It can ruin marriges. Make you want to write bad checks for gear. Make all months of the year except Oct- Feb irrelevant, if not pure hell. (A fact I will argue with anybody!)

Good luck with your decision.
But remember! You were warned.

Dido. Its the greatest addiction to have though. The only thing I have to add is invest in a pair of decent binoculars and scout it is the key to all success also Invest in a warm Extremely waterproof coat ha-ha you will need it. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask we are more than happy to help Good luck :beer:
kgrant
hunter

Postby Abomb » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Binos and fuel. Also the F&G HQ on Kathleen can be a good source. Boat and a dog are key around here, more emphasis on boat. Lots of good areas in these parts but scouting is key as the birds move big time due to pressure and feeding habits.
Abomb
hunter

Postby Take em boys » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:04 pm

im down in st maries mostly field hunt if your really wanting to get into it get your self a lay down blind and shoot me a Pm and ill show ya a goose hunt or two :beer:
"Waterfowl hunting, Its not something you preform halfway. You either try it and hate it, Or it gets in your blood and you cant live with out it.
-Zink crew
Take em boys
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting