duck gumbo

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

duck gumbo

Postby agengo02 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:19 pm

my brother is coming in town for the christmas holidays and i promised we would eat the teal meat i have frozen. i decided on putting it into a big gumbo. im not too worried about the gumbo side of it because my mom is making that and she has never messed the rue up or anything. my concern is how to prepare the meat. after reading some posts i think im going to cook the meat seperate from the gumbo and then just throw it in at the end. id like the meat to be really tender and flavorful and take away some of the gamey taste. im also probably going to cut it a bit so i can make sure i get all the pellets out. dont wanna send anybody to the dentist just because i wanted to keep the breast whole. so how should i prepare the duck? thanks guys.
agengo02
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:28 pm

You have two choices: Toss it in at the end, which will be great for that evening's meal but leftovers will be tough...or cook the livin' sh*t out of them over low heat so they break down a bit. I personally would make only enough gumbo for one meal and throw it in at the end. Such a shame to do to teal, though - they are SOoo good roasted rare. I'd put spoonies or coots or leg/thighs of ducks into gumbo instead.

My $.02
I love all of God's creatures, properly prepared.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:57 pm

why would cooking the before make it bad for leftovers? but my whole family is coming in too so im pretty sure we will hammer it all. any preferred methods?
agengo02
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:17 pm

Breast meat on any bird is tricksy to work with - it's either perfectly done...or it's tough. It ain't like leg/thighs, which are WAAAY more forgiving. Breasts have no connective tissue in them to speak of, so it's all muscle. And since duck is best served rare-to-medium, I'd either cut the meat into chunks and toss it into the gumbo in the last 5 minutes or so (test a piece before you serve your family) OR, sear it in a screaming hot frying pan with a little fat (got duck fat?) to get some nice color, then toss it into the gumbo in the last 2-3 minutes, just to warm through.

Cooking breast meat for hours and hours will still result in tough breast meat, although it'll be tenderer than cooking it for just an hour or two.

As for the leftover question: If you had followed what I suggested above, when you reheat the gumbo (in a microwave or whatever) you will have cooked that nice medium-to-rare breast meat PAST medium into well-done. And it'll be precisely at that point where it is toughest. If you really want to eat leftovers of this gumbo, reserve some meat in the fridge for it. Then, re-heat the gumbo and when it's hot, toss in the reserved teal meat and it'll as good or better as the first day. Ya follow?

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Hank
duckjumper
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:39 pm

hmm so looks like ill be putting alot of preperation and might not get something good! im thinking ill go the "screaming hot frying pan" approach because it will probably be easier to tell when the meat is done. and no duck fat, so what can i use as a replacement? thanks for the help so far though. its greatly appreciated.
agengo02
hunter

Postby duckjumper » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:35 pm

Use any fat you'd like. Got bacon?

As for duck fat, I'll post up on how to do it in a bit.
duckjumper
hunter

Postby geese9 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:39 pm

Hank speaks true :smile:

Duck breast meat goes from perfect to tough and crappy quicker than _____.

cheers
chad

duckjumper wrote:Breast meat on any bird is tricksy to work with - it's either perfectly done...or it's tough. It ain't like leg/thighs, which are WAAAY more forgiving. Breasts have no connective tissue in them to speak of, so it's all muscle. And since duck is best served rare-to-medium, I'd either cut the meat into chunks and toss it into the gumbo in the last 5 minutes or so (test a piece before you serve your family) OR, sear it in a screaming hot frying pan with a little fat (got duck fat?) to get some nice color, then toss it into the gumbo in the last 2-3 minutes, just to warm through.

Cooking breast meat for hours and hours will still result in tough breast meat, although it'll be tenderer than cooking it for just an hour or two.

As for the leftover question: If you had followed what I suggested above, when you reheat the gumbo (in a microwave or whatever) you will have cooked that nice medium-to-rare breast meat PAST medium into well-done. And it'll be precisely at that point where it is toughest. If you really want to eat leftovers of this gumbo, reserve some meat in the fridge for it. Then, re-heat the gumbo and when it's hot, toss in the reserved teal meat and it'll as good or better as the first day. Ya follow?

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Hank
geese9
hunter

Postby djbaker77 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:35 pm

I just made a batch of gumbo and it turned out great. I pre cooked the meat in beef stock with carrots, onions, a few bay leaves, and a few peppercorns. Threw all that into a crock pot for four hours. When it's done, remove the meat from the stock, shred it, and set it aside. I then strained the stock and added it to the roux as the base for the gumbo. Add sauted onions, peppers (I used anaheim for a little heat), celery, and garlic along with cut up smoked sausage and raw shrimp. You then add the shredded meat back into the gumbo to heat through, season to taste, and then serve over rice. I'm definetly making this one again.
djbaker77
Newb

Postby rmb79 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:01 pm

Derek,

I'll bring plenty of birds home for christmas, you can make the gumbo. :thumbsup:

Ross
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking