BIG WATER DIVERS S.C

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

BIG WATER DIVERS S.C

Postby stealfeathers » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:17 am

I am about to move to South Carolina. I will be located at Paris island in beufort.

From the sounds of it, and from asking some folks on this forum about duck hunting down there I am not liking what I hear. Apparently about 70% of the hunters sky bust birds coming from and going to the plantations. With that being the case the birds get decoy smart quickly and learn to fly even higher.

I have come to the conclusion that on weekends I will just make the trip to hunt Florida ( my home state )where the birds tend to be more cooperative and there are more birds on public water in general.

A couple days ago I started thinking about possibilities in South Carolina and getting on some birds that are more liable to work decoys and have consistent hunts. Being I rarely pull the trigger pass shooting birds past 30 yards. I was thinking about going ahead and investing in the boat to hunt big water divers off the coast.

I am unfamiliar with south Carolina's coastal hunting but I have done plenty of diver hunting in North Carolina and Florida. My question is for you diver hunters in South Carolina are what size boat do you use. Also, is there any potential for sea ducks. Also, any other pointers on the subject.

I don't have the time and I will not throw together a boat and rig this year, but I am shooting for by next season to have a complete setup ready to go by 2014-15 season. I figure there's enough water out on the coastal to get away from the crowd.
stealfeathers
hunter

Re: BIG WATER DIVERS S.C

Postby Woodiewacker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:35 am

Sea ducks are offshore we use a 19 ft cc with a 150 yammie to get to em...diver hunting in the sounds is hit or miss lots of water...best bet for what you seem to want is to just get a lease or draw hunt every 3 years....our birds dont decoy...why are they going to fly into.my spread of 35 dekes when just a mere 1000yds in any direction.there are 4000 real ducks sitting in a pond...
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby Gilliganmc01 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:11 pm

I have never been on a ocean hunt for divers. Would love to try it..
Gilliganmc01
hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:54 pm

The seas duck raft usually hangs about 3 miles offshore.. and diver hunting in the sounds typically is a good shoot just takes all day...2 bluebills and 4 buffleheads per person....and to make it harder the tide and current suck
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby UpSouth811 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:16 pm

Put your time in and you'll have some good hunts. Just showing up will have a lot of disappointment
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby Gilliganmc01 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:43 pm

I am from Maryland. I have been fighting the tide and current non stop here... Any break from that would be amazing.. If the weather is good I could run my boat offshore.. Just would have to be ready to head in quickly if it gets rough. How do you find a decent area off shore? Scouting seems sketchy. Wouldn't they move all over the place?
Gilliganmc01
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:19 am

How the heck do you scout offshore since everything is the same? Do you really scout it, or do you just go a certain distance offshore? I am new to the sea duck hunting but have been wanting to get into it. What species do yall kill?
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby UpSouth811 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:52 pm

There's a big difference in certain areas even though they "look" the same
UpSouth811
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:31 am

I realize there is a difference, I didn't expect to just drive a couple miles out and start shooting sea ducks. I have hunted inshore all my life and scout my %$% off. I didn't mean to make it sound life it was easy so I'm sorry if that came across wrong. Not looking for areas or GPS coordinates. Just wanted to know how you go about scouting or finding good areas to hunt since its not like scouting inshore where you know what land features look good. Just curious how scouting offshore went as far as if you look for certain depths or bottom features or if you just drive around till you find them and then come back to that area.
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby grey duck » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:32 am

go out and sit at the end of the jetties with your best pair of binoculars. we sit and watch, follow the birds to the raft, and drop a waypoint.
grey duck
hunter

Postby grey duck » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:32 am

go out and sit at the end of the jetties with your best pair of binoculars. we sit and watch, follow the birds to the raft, and drop a waypoint.
grey duck
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Any more opinions on boat size . With safety being the main concern.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:29 pm

grey duck wrote:go out and sit at the end of the jetties with your best pair of binoculars. we sit and watch, follow the birds to the raft, and drop a waypoint.

X2 what grey duck said...only done it a handful of times but that's how we've got the job done in the past
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Postby grey duck » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:40 am

stealfeathers wrote:Any more opinions on boat size . With safety being the main concern.

We have done it in a 16' Jon Boat and a 20' CC. Depends on the weather.
grey duck
hunter

Postby grey duck » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:42 am

callumcuffumkillum wrote:How the heck do you scout offshore since everything is the same? Do you really scout it, or do you just go a certain distance offshore? I am new to the sea duck hunting but have been wanting to get into it. What species do yall kill?

Scoters, Blue Bills, Buffle Heads, ocasional old squaw. Have seen large flocks of cans with little luck.
grey duck
hunter

Postby grey duck » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:44 am

One more thing, don't forget to bring a black flag.
grey duck
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:42 am

Thanks for the info, whats the deal with the black flag?
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:35 pm

A black flag is used to simulate wings flapping...goose hunters use em a lot..works great for sea ducks too...lotsa decoys are the key..we had 200 out off st.simons last season and from 150 yds away we couldn't see em...movement and visibility are what draws em in...so a black flag is used to literally flag em down and get their attention
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Thats what i thought you meant just didnt realize people used those for sea ducks
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby Edge » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:52 pm

we have evn used white bleach jugs strung together. Ducks will decoy on the Cooper River but you will have to be early to get a good spot.
Edge
hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:06 am

Haha...bleach jugs and a rattle can of black paint..works really well...i was surprised how hard it was to find collect gatyer beg borrow and steal 3 dozen of the durn things....and now clorox has changed their bottle design....gotta get the cheap stuff lol
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby JFord56 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:14 pm

I know there are some divers about the coast but, no help on where. Never heard of much seaducks here. We kill some on the lakes inland. Bluebills, redheads, buffleheads, and some cans. Some scouting with some bino's your best bet.
JFord56
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:52 pm

According to banding reports a specific spot in South Carolina winters alot of scoter. To be specific, the scoter that are migrating through North Carolina during November are believed to be heading to the coast of South Carolina.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Have a buddy that works for DU does all the counts on DU projects on the carolina.coast down to darien georgia... he was on the joint state spotting plane last two years...they would fly up.amd down the coasts of sc and ga doing countsof sea duck rafts.. last season a certain area held a raft of 5000+ sea ducks for nearly 2 weeks... we went and wacked a few...tough work and they taste like$#it ....
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby geometric » Sun May 18, 2014 4:56 pm

I see them while fishing a lot. They are about as smart as a box of rocks. I never had any inclination to waste a shell on them. I did shoot a couple many years ago when I was a kid. Never ate one, must be like eating a sea gull. I hunt ducks as much to watch my retriever work as anything else. Not much opportunity for the dog in the ocean.
geometric
hunter

Next

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting