Furloughed- 1 Day at a Time

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Furloughed- 1 Day at a Time

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:49 pm

I hate having to get up in the morning just to find out if I have a job or not. :mad:
Still on the couch w/ bum foot so can't even do anything useful around the house, or go scouting, or deer hunt, or ..... :crying: :fingerhead:

GD
One of the lazy, over paid, non-essentials.
Last edited by Grey Dog on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Dog
hunter

Re: Furlouged- 1 Day at a Time

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:26 pm

I run the landscaping contract at Arlington National Cemetery. Even though most national parks are closed right now, they are keeping ANC open for the time being and we are still working as a government contractor thankfully. Some of my company's other government contracts got shut down, and I started getting sent all of the employees from those sites. At least someone in DC has some common sense not to hold families up from burying their loved ones. I think if we get sent home and they close the cemetery, there could be some very bad public ridicule
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Really....post # 666?

NASA decided that if the contractors continue their tasks w/o direction from a civil servant that the work could continue. We have a spacecraft in test at NRL and since NRL has its own appropriation (already approved) our contractors are still at it. The problem with wanting to continue your job is that it lends credence to the idiots that say "See, we didn't need those government employees. We sent them home and nobody noticed." And when something turns into a big PR disaster, WII vets, we'll make an exception.

Next year, I say we refuse to approve a budget until we repeal the law that mandates car safety. Let the free market sort it out. One or more fatalities at a time.

GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:10 am

I have a couple of friends that are all working as civilian contractors that are currently being furloughed, but are continuing to work without pay because they are being told they will get back pay. A lot of people dont realize that these civilian contractors are still working because without them, it would be a S-storm once they do get back to work.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:03 am

After the mid-90s closure, we (CS) were payed retroactively. Those of us that worked while furloughed got paid the same as those that had obeyed instructions and stayed out. This time around there's a good chance that we will not be paid at all. I'll still be on the hook for the things that are taken out of pay based on 26 pay periods though. We'll probably see a 4th year w/o a General Schedule increase too. :crying:

:beer:
GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Re: Furloughed- 1 Day at a Time

Postby PSUbuzz » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:41 am

just talked to 2 friends that work for DHS. They got sent home as "non-essential" and they are starting to look for new jobs. How far into that branch does that reach into?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:30 am

Don't know about DHS but we were told that if you're job wasn't directly related to safety or represent a property risk, you were furloughed. I guess FEMA decided they wanted some folks at work during a hurricane after all. They called some back. The way it trickled down to the contractors was something like "if you can do your job w/o direct CS supervision or spending yet to be appropriated money (FY14) then you could continue working."

Huge CF, as usual.
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:49 am

Well, my company was down to 2 job sites left still working, Arlington National Cemetery, and NIH (Bethesda and Poolsville). As of yesterday, we were furloughed out of NIH. So I have the last job site keeping my company afloat, and I had to lay 8 of my guys off yesterday to make room for some of our NIH managers to come here and work for me.

I cant blame NIH for sending us packing. Theres national news coverage that there are children being turned away from treatment over there and meanwhile we were still mowing the grass over there. I understand and agree with the decision but it sucks that it fell on us. Im not sure how much longer the landscaping is going to keep going at ANC though. Maybe ill get furloughed for the early duck season
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby assateague » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:07 am

Grey Dog wrote:After the mid-90s closure, we (CS) were payed retroactively. Those of us that worked while furloughed got paid the same as those that had obeyed instructions and stayed out. This time around there's a good chance that we will not be paid at all. I'll still be on the hook for the things that are taken out of pay based on 26 pay periods though. We'll probably see a 4th year w/o a General Schedule increase too. :crying:

:beer:
GD

I would suggest that you're free to get a different job if you don't like it. I've never understood why government furloughs are any different than layoffs at a private company. Your kids aren't hungrier, your bills aren't later, your problems aren't "problemier" than private sector workers in the same boat. As for back pay, that's a crock.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying that it doesn't suck. I'm just saying that it doesn't suck any worse than it already has for millions of others.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby Grey Dog » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Actually, yes I am free to resign and take a substantial penalty in my non-transferable retirement benefits. (At least after the Office of Human Capitol comes back from furlough.) At this point I have 30+ years of civil service. Engineer for DoD in the 80's and NASA since 1990. The Golden Handcuffs are on plenty tight at this point. When I started I accepted a position that paid 30% less than an offer from private industry that I had in hand. Even today, according to the comparability studies that the Bush I &II administrations did, I'm paid about 15-20% less than an equivalent position on the outside. I traded the money for the security/health care/retirement package and a belief in public service.

I don't argue with your point about retroactive pay. However to equate the closure with private layoffs is not totally accurate. When a company lays off employees the employees are free to work else where with no further obligation to the former employer. I am still a Federal employee and subject to the restrictions that that implies. Including restrictions on outside employment. Also, when a gov't facility is closed due to weather/terrorist activity/civil unrest etc., workers are told to stay out and are placed on administrative leave.

The furlough could be equated to cutting back hours. An argument I might put forth is that my hourly rate is based on an annual salary divided by 2087 hours and that cutting back my available annual work hours is a violation of the basic contract. My position description calls out a per annum amount not an hourly pay rate.

The payroll rules are screwy, I still don't know if I will be compensated at all for the 10 hour mid-night shifts that I worked last X-mas Eve, X-mas Day and New Years Eve. (Total of 30 Hrs)
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby assateague » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:55 pm

I was the same way when I was a contractor- salary (per annum), but required to click in/out and receive an hourly paycheck. When the cuts started three years ago, I was let go. So I just went and got another job.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting