How was everyones day?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

How was everyones day?

Postby Outonalimb » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:31 pm

I killed six times over my limit.....of mosquitoes. Didn't even pull the trigger. I swear this is the last time I get on an impoundment at 4:15 to have some a**holes walk up right on top of you and sky bust everything. People shooting at level birds and forgetting what's beyond the target they are shooting. Could hear someone talking to a kid behind us as the birds came in wayyyyyyyy high..."up above you, up above you, overhead"....boom, boom, boom. Way to go jackass to teach your kid to sky bust at birds beyond reach. Then 2 mallards came over and some asshats shot at them from the other side and at least 75 yrds away. Was able to get two soft quacks in before they cut loose on them. I will not be back next year unless it's a permit hunt and cold. Frustrating is an understatement.....make early season a permit draw hunt too and charge more than $5.00. :fingerhead:
Outonalimb
hunter

Re: How was everyones day?

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:31 pm

Saw very few ducks over all
Mosquitoes were manageable, didn't break anything, and managed a pair of pintails and a blue wing
Ready for some cold weather and the sea ducks should be here in about a month :thumbsup:
EastBound&Down
hunter

Postby QuackBoomBang » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:00 am

Didn't get to pull the trigger either. Saw probably a dozen mallards for the day but half those were flushed up 100 yards from the blind. But nothing broke and worked out all the opening day kinks so I'm thankful for that. I'm just ready for the cold and the migration.
QuackBoomBang
Newb

Postby RugerandMe » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:50 pm

Today was our first day out. 3 man limit of woodies by 7am. Saw one decent group of geese but no mallards. Try it again in the morning at another spot. Really hoping for a few mallards.
RugerandMe
hunter

Postby Flightcanxledfowl » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:20 pm

RugerandMe wrote:Today was our first day out. 3 man limit of woodies by 7am. Saw one decent group of geese but no mallards. Try it again in the morning at another spot. Really hoping for a few mallards.

Same here. Limits of woodies by 7:00 had a teal com over the deeks buteos so fast, I don't have time to shoot. Good hunt planning on going this weekend. Can't wait
Flightcanxledfowl
hunter

Postby eisenhauer01 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:31 pm

2 man limit of woodies on Wed + Thurs. Was not able to go out today, or tomorrow. Saw a few Mallards on Wed. and a few Teal on Thurs. :smile: :smile:
eisenhauer01
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Only got to go today. Didn't even see a duck. Found a cottonmouth.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:49 pm

We did ok Wednesday, 5 drake woodies, which one of those was banded, plus a hen woodie and mallard. A big 00.00 today.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby TooTall » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Today was one of the slowest days of duck hunting I can remember in a long time. We hunted a relatively popular area at the coast and might have heard 12 shots way off in the distance. Saw one measly flock of ducks about half a mile away and that was it. We did okay on the opener at our swamp, but today at the coast was as slow as I have ever seen. I hope something major changes between now and November.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Had a great time. Stopped for a sausage and egg biscuit (real egg too!), checked the impoundment and added a board, played with the dog and discovered the battery on my "smart" phone was dead. :thumbsup: Then I came home and shot my rifle on the bench. Didn't have to worry about cleaning any stinking ducks either. Some of you guys are just wound way too tight. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Flightcanxledfowl » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:45 pm

sampsonhuntin wrote:Only got to go today. Didn't even see a duck. Found a cottonmouth.

Sampson, did you hunt the south river? I did Wednesday saw good number and went today and saw only about 6.
Ian
Flightcanxledfowl
hunter

Postby nchunter54 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:45 am

Did not make it out any during the four days, had work day at church yesterday. One member's son did stop by and he had two wood ducks. Some of the club members did go down to the impound and did some blind repair and clean up. Heading to ND Thursday then waiting for the November season.

Hoping everyone has a safe and successful season.

Don
nchunter54
hunter

Postby chrmaxwell » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Went to a fairly popular spot around south of Raleigh, not Jordan or Harris, and saw 5 wood ducks. Got off one shot, heard one group shoot a good 10 or so times, but we didn't get a thing. Horrible, but also got some kinks out and realized I need to get another mojo.

Anyone hunt with Edge decoys? Mojo's are really kind of not made well. Thinking about switching to Edge Lucky duck.
chrmaxwell
hunter

Postby Pot Hole » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Pot Hole
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:47 am

had decent, but slower than usual october season. I have never duck hunted in warmer weather. EVER. It seemed like every day was hotter than the one before. And a few mornings had the worst fog that i have ever seen. Still managed some great to not so great hunts. We killed 68 over 4 days. 14 mallards, 9 teal, 45 woodies. First couple of days were great. It slowed down friday and saturday. would have killed 12 instead of 3 on saturday if we had set up in the right spot. oh well. still a fun, ill be it hot, october season.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Flightcanxledfowl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:59 am

KAhunter wrote:had decent, but slower than usual october season. I have never duck hunted in warmer weather. EVER. It seemed like every day was hotter than the one before. And a few mornings had the worst fog that i have ever seen. Still managed some great to not so great hunts. We killed 68 over 4 days. 14 mallards, 9 teal, 45 woodies. First couple of days were great. It slowed down friday and saturday. would have killed 12 instead of 3 on saturday if we had set up in the right spot. oh well. still a fun, ill be it hot, october season.

I would say 68 is a pretty damn good food 3 days of hunting :thumbsup:
Flightcanxledfowl
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:00 pm

Flightcanxledfowl wrote:
KAhunter wrote:had decent, but slower than usual october season. I have never duck hunted in warmer weather. EVER. It seemed like every day was hotter than the one before. And a few mornings had the worst fog that i have ever seen. Still managed some great to not so great hunts. We killed 68 over 4 days. 14 mallards, 9 teal, 45 woodies. First couple of days were great. It slowed down friday and saturday. would have killed 12 instead of 3 on saturday if we had set up in the right spot. oh well. still a fun, ill be it hot, october season.

I would say 68 is a pretty damn good food 3 days of hunting :thumbsup:

haha true. we actually hunted 4. Just had a few hunts that i wish had gone a little better. overall it was a good start. I swear the weather gods laugh at us in NC. It blew all last week and into the previous weekend. It literally warmed up for 6 days, 4 of which were october season./ Now its back to rain/wind/cool temps. Oh well. Was hoping ot hunt VA but our little hole is high and dry. Plenty of food but no water. Is it NOV 9th yet?
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting