Who got drawn?

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Re: Who got drawn?

Postby cut'um » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:00 pm

1/11/14 and 1/14/14 goose creek pp2
cut'um
hunter

Postby Flightcanxledfowl » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:22 pm

GOT MATTAMUSKEET 7-8th of January!!!
Flightcanxledfowl
hunter

Postby Giant Killer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:37 pm

cut'um wrote:1/11/14 and 1/14/14 goose creek pp2

at least you'll know where to go on the 14th based on your observations from the 11th :eek:
Giant Killer
hunter

Postby eisenhauer01 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Got drawn for Brumley Impoundment in Caswell 11/20 & 1/14 :smile:
eisenhauer01
hunter

Postby cbrtrvr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:27 pm

I see a lot of other areas, but did anyone get a draw for currituck?
cbrtrvr
hunter

Postby Drake Water Fowel » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:28 pm

Currituck Finger Point Blind 1-3-14 and Campbell Creek 1 1-11-14
Drake Water Fowel
hunter

Postby chrmaxwell » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:20 pm

I am pretty happy I got one. Last year I got Rhodes pond and Suggs Mill which were both good hunts. Killed a few mallards at each spot. This year I didn't get Suggs Mill, but I got J Morgan Futch on 11 Nov blind 14. I have been trying to get Futch for several years. I never have made it out there, but I heard early season is really good. I plan on staying a night in Williamston on Sunday before the hunt on Monday. Any information anyone can get me about lodging and hunting, I would appreciate a PM. I hope blind 14 is a good one...it is in cut corn so should be good. I just want the chance to see a bird that isn't a wood duck since all I really hunt is Fort Bragg. I will be bringing a couple mojos, pulsator and about 50 various decoys (pintails, woodies, black ducks, mallards, geese, and teal). Really just want the chance to mount a non-wood duck. Any info would be helpful....Thanks in advance.

One more question, can you bring non-hunting people with you...I would like to bring my two boys.
chrmaxwell
hunter

Postby Dtrain22 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:58 pm

^pm'd ya.
Dtrain22
hunter

Postby Giant Killer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:58 am

chrmaxwell wrote:Any information anyone can get me about lodging and hunting

Dalton House in Columbia
Giant Killer
hunter

Postby easye » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:11 am

Got CC2 on 12/21 and also got Futch on 11/16 and 1/7. Never hunted either place. so guess will be buring some gas to go at lest look at. Looking foward to Futch. Been told early hunt way be good but late one will probally be a bust. we will see. Also got swan
easye
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:03 pm

how do some people get permit hunts at the same place 2 times, and some people dont get drawn at all? That seems kinda flawed for the selection process. :huh:

I got a swan tag and one gameland permit hunt. Gonna try a big field hunt this year with my bro and his sons, my dad, and a couple buddies and their dads. Should be fun to get the kids on a big swan hunt.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby johnpaul » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:07 pm

I agree KAhunter. No offense to easye thats great I would be tickled but You would think when you got drawn for one date you would be pulled out of the draw. I guess if you can win 2 dates then someone could actually win all five dates they put in for?
johnpaul
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:11 pm

yeah easye not trying to hate. just frustrating as hell. I liked hunting that place alot and have since it opened. Oh well i will just do my best elsewhere. Good luck
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby cbrtrvr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:08 pm

I agree KAHunter I got a big 0 on the draws. but I only put in for the local draws anyway.
cbrtrvr
hunter

Postby chrmaxwell » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Thanks Giant Killer and DW for the PM. I appreciate it. Anyone hunting Futch after 11 Nov send me a PM and I can update you on conditions after my hunt.
chrmaxwell
hunter

Postby jcz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:04 pm

Sorry double post. :oops:
Last edited by jcz on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcz
hunter

Postby jcz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:07 pm

There was a guy that was drawn for Mattamuskette twice last year.

I got a goose egg on matta, futch, north river, and swan. I did get Spring creek but don't know what to expect now that they have blinds in there.
jcz
hunter

Postby NCfowl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:12 pm

Whats the percentages of getting a walk up draw at Matt. ?
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:43 pm

NCfowl wrote:Whats the percentages of getting a walk up draw at Matt. ?

Very, very slim. Always a lot of stand-by hunters and few, if any available. Always. Use to be that when they hunted the 2 impoundment blinds, people wouldn't show up for them because they knew they were soo bad. Those were the ones that usually became available for "stand bys" I think they now have taken them out of the draw, they have for the last 2 years anyway.

Good luck, you'll need it. Take your boat and have a back-up plan.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby easye » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:27 am

I got picked twice and I agree with you. If you get picked once then should be out for the other picks. I dont Know with the new blind set up at futch may of been the only one to apply ( I doubt it). As far as walk up at Matt. There is always two blinds left open for walk ups. Both in the impoundments. Walked up last year and was drawn for a blind. There were 5 blinds open on open days at matt. and about 20 people on stand by all names were in the hat but most were in groups of threes.
easye
hunter

Postby Giant Killer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:38 am

the one thing I have noticed with everyone that got 2 dates somewhere, is that one of their dates is a weekday (Tuesday).

I'm sure that may not be the case 100% of the time...but everyone one so far. Helped me to ease my pain a little with them getting double and me getting shut out

I think we'd all feel better if they'd make every permit hunt be assigned preference pts. That way, if you've got your eye on a particular hunt area, you'll get it eventually. The wrinkle may be the party hunts (Futch, Goose Creek, etc.)...your party may change over the yrs, and if the pts attach to the party, then you're out of luck. Simple solution though, make everyone put in individually and allow 2 guests (like Skeet)
Giant Killer
hunter

Postby easye » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:31 am

I agree with that. Several times I have gotten hunts and then when time came someone had to back out. would of been nice to have someone else to go.
easye
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:53 pm

honestly. more often than not. I kill more birds hunting my boat blind or layout boat in places that are public. weather and pressure are two factors that can make or break places like futch and Goose creek impoundments in my experience just as they effect the places I hunt otherwise. now certain species are not as regular in some places as they are in impoundments which I guess can draw attention. not to say you cant get a good hunt at them. it just seems hyped up a bit. I guess what it boils down to is... if you have a draw hunt you don't reallllllly have to do as much work to find a spot that will produce on any given day. you already know where your going. so we give our money to the state to potentially not have to decide where we are going to hunt that day just where to set up in that spot. some folks I believe base the whole season around draw hunts. pity to base your season on a draw and have it 75 degrees no wind and duckless. I do believe the draws can add variety though. all that said I have Pamlico Point sometime in January. I hope it is cold.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby Junior Duck Commander » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:00 pm

first time i put in for draw hunts, usually just hunt public water at the coast, but it gets old shooting divers and mergs. I have seen plenty of puddle ducks in impoundments last year so i gave it a shot. got 5 draws total, with pp1 and futch and a swan permit. will see how it goes.
Junior Duck Commander
hunter

Postby black_duck » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Got skeet and a swan. Do yall know when we figure out which blinds you have? I have been drawn before but I cant remember when I found out the blind assignment. I know that its not the morning of.
black_duck
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting