WARNING TO ALL

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

WARNING TO ALL

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:14 pm

We did awesome for the opener in Montana. However... I got my first citation. So the story begins.. I had pulled into Bozeman, Montana that night to a buddies house, and quickly rigged the decoys for opening day. The next morning was awesome, we were surrounded by birds (teal and mallards) The day continued on and I had noticed 2 FWP officers approaching our blind.. No worries right? I always play by the rules. I rendered my out of state license with my affixed federal tag and my montana waterfowl license. He proceeded to check the ammo that I was shooting as well as my buddies. He then check the plugs in the gun and that's when it all went down hill.. He was able to load 4 rounds into my gun, and then attempted to see if we were aware of the species we had taken and to see if we were party hunting. Shortly after, he back peddled to the 4 shell incident. I was astonished to find out that my buddy had removed the plug for some unknown reason and fessed up to the warden that he had used the gun in its current state as a turkey gun. I apologized profusely and he issued me the citation. He did try to load my buddies 2 3/4 shells in the gun I had borrowed but I had told him, I was shooting the 3" shells. Lesson learned. If you guys go hunting with a buddy don't assume that they play by the rules. :hammer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

WARNING TO ALL

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:25 pm

We did awesome for the opener in Montana. However... I got my first citation. So the story begins.. I had pulled into Bozeman, Montana that night to a buddies house, and quickly rigged the decoys for opening day. The next morning was awesome, we were surrounded by birds (teal and mallards) The day continued on and I had noticed 2 FWP officers approaching our blind.. No worries right? I always play by the rules. I rendered my out of state license with my affixed federal tag and my montana waterfowl license. He proceeded to check the ammo that I was shooting as well as my buddies. He then check the plugs in the gun and that's when it all went down hill.. He was able to load 4 rounds into my gun, and then attempted to see if we were aware of the species we had taken and to see if we were party hunting. Shortly after, he back peddled to the 4 shell incident. I was astonished to find out that my buddy had removed the plug for some unknown reason and fessed up to the warden that he had used the gun in its current state as a turkey gun. I apologized profusely and he issued me the citation. He did try to load my buddies 2 3/4 shells in the gun I had borrowed but I had told him, I was shooting the 3" shells. Lesson learned. If you guys go hunting with a buddy don't assume that they play by the rules. :hammer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Re: WARNING TO ALL

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:28 pm

This happened to me with a gun I borrowed from my brother. He forgot to put a plug in it. I was able to make a make shift plug from a stick. :hammer: About an hour or so later we were checked by the game warden. Luck must have been on my side that day.
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:30 pm

TEN GAUGE BBB wrote:This happened to me with a gun a borrowed from my brother. He forgot to put a plug in it. I was able to make a make shift plug from a stick. :hammer: About an hour or so later we were checked by the game warden. Luck must have been on my side that day.

LOL game warden said, go back to your truck and put the gun up. I grabbed a stick, wedged it in there and showed him the gun couldn't hold more than three rounds :lol3:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:39 pm

This happened to me with a gun I borrowed from my brother. He forgot to put the plug back in after he cleaned the gun. I was able to make a plug from a stick. :hammer: About an hour later we were checked by the warden. Luck must have been on my side that morning.
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:48 pm

I translated the story and am checking accuracy. I no reed 2 gud.

Your shotgun. You loaned it and buddy took plug out to hunt turkeys. Gave it back and forgot to mention taking the plug out? Correct?
It is your responsibilty to be legal.
Sorry. Bad situation.
Call your buddy.
Tell him to buy his own shotgun and forget about using yours.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:54 pm

aunt betty wrote:I translated the story and am checking accuracy. I no reed 2 gud.

Your shotgun. You loaned it and buddy took plug out to hunt turkeys. Gave it back and forgot to mention taking the plug out? Correct?
It is your responsibilty to be legal.
Sorry. Bad situation.
Call your buddy.
Tell him to buy his own shotgun and forget about using yours.

My bad betty, poorly typed. I borrowed the gun from my buddy to hunt it Montana opener Saturday. Should have written it a little better
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:55 pm

once a cheater, always a cheater,
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:58 pm

grizz18 wrote:once a cheater, always a cheater,

Unintentionally, but thanks for your input! :lol3:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:02 pm

This falls under the "Trust, but verify" rule. It's on you to check to make sure you are legal, don't just take your buddies word for it. Same applies to checking a gun given to you to see if it is loaded.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Yup lesson learned, guilt was admitted! Betcha you could have made the same mistake! :thumbsup:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:22 pm

I feel your pain, Wanapasaki. Sounds like an honest mistake and while it is your responsibility in the end, I would be super pissed at your buddy.

A few weeks ago I was waaaay out in the sticks archery hunting elk. I was glassing on a ridge and a F&G officer rolled up, which I could hardly believe given how far I was. Anyhow, we had a pleasant conversation and he asked to check my tag and license, which I promptly produced. Much to my shock, he told me I didn't have an archery declaration. Long story short, when I had my license reprinted, the shop forgot to include it even though I clearly stated it.

I felt so stupid, it was incredible.

In the end, the guy was very understanding and said that about 20% of the shops f'ed that up in Idaho. He knew I couldn't have bought the elk tag I had if I didn't have archery qualifications so he was lenient and simply warned me. He did say, however, that had I harvested an animal he would have had no choice but a full blown ticket and I would have lost my license for a year. No bueno.

Like you, lesson definitely learned!
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:23 am

That sucks. An honest mistake.

The first thing I do when I load up is to try and fit a 4th shell in. I'm far from perfect, just sayin. I also check the bore for obstructions and if shooting a gun with a choke tube I'll make sure it's tight.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:05 am

In the age of 3x the possesion limits, liberalized bag limits on geese and ducks, the issue of plugged shotguns is a crock of crap.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Willie » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:26 am

POACHER!!!!!

@
Willie
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:30 am

That's what you get for sketchin' out. :lol3:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby deliriousII » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:35 am

The fourth shell thing happened to a guy on our lease. He's a pretty old fella and always followed the rules. Hunting with the same gun he has used for 20 years and the gw shows up. Mr. green jeans tries really hard and finally gets a 4th shell in. Older fella knew plug was in so took the gun apart to find that the plug had cracked on a 45 degree angle and was pushed up on itself just enough to get the 4th in. No citation but had to stop hunting for the day and was able to get a plug before the next weekend.
quack addict
deliriousII
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:41 am

deliriousII wrote: No citation but had to stop hunting for the day and was able to get a plug before the next weekend.

Get a plug before the next weekend? You mean he bought one? I've broken a twig and used cut off pencils before. I would have had that gun plugged in 5 minutes.
This is the Internet. This is serious.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby deliriousII » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:43 am

Botiz630 wrote:
deliriousII wrote: No citation but had to stop hunting for the day and was able to get a plug before the next weekend.

Get a plug before the next weekend? You mean he bought one? I've broken a twig and used cut off pencils before. I would have had that gun plugged in 5 minutes.

We hunt in very soft bottomed marshland with no hardwood trees around....he only hunts on the weekends
quack addict
deliriousII
hunter

Postby Sir Big Spur » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:45 am

IT'S PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT GIVE HUNTERS A BAD NAME. UGHHHOMGGG
My wrist deserve a shout out, 'I'm like what up wrist?' My stove deserve a shout out, 'I’m like what up stove?
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:51 am

deliriousII wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:

We hunt in very soft bottomed marshland with no hardwood trees around....he only hunts on the weekends

Excuses. I bet I could have found something.
This is the Internet. This is serious.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:43 am

What's a plug? :huh:
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:44 am

deliriousII wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:

Just jam some mud into it then. It'll solidify and you'll be good forever.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:49 am

This is why I hunt with an O/U. I love poking around and letting the young wardens get excited about a ticket. I really love watching the light die in their eyes when I pull the O/U out.

All you guys must be crappy shots to need 3 shooters. :devil:
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:16 pm

Sir Big Spur wrote:IT'S PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT GIVE HUNTERS A BAD NAME. UGHHHOMGGG

:lol: Thanks for the brash judgment :lol3:
wanapasaki
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole