USIA waders review

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Re: USIA waders review

Postby MarkM » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:30 am

Tealer wrote:Site is down for repair/update. They are still very much in business.

Saw this on the ifish forum posted from the owner.

CAPT KUJO wrote:Posted on 10-16-2013, 04:24 AM
PS www.usia.com is down for serious maintenance

Good to know he is keeping people informed
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Tealer » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:22 pm

MarkM wrote:
Tealer wrote:Site is down for repair/update. They are still very much in business.

Saw this on the ifish forum posted from the owner.

CAPT KUJO wrote:Posted on 10-16-2013, 04:24 AM
PS http://www.usia.com is down for serious maintenance

Good to know he is keeping people informed

I am an IFish member also. Kim (CAPT KUJO) has a very, very good reputation with both sportsmen and the military.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby K Williams » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:27 pm

A few guys on the Trapperman forum swear by these waders...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
NRA Life Member, Delta Waterfowl member, Ducks Unlimited member
K Williams
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:41 pm

I looked into the USIA waders last season but didn't pull the trigger on them. I'm waiting for more reviews. glad some people are using them and like them, I may end up ordering a pair.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby greenster » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:46 pm

All I want to do is look for now.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby handyandy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:45 am

no regrets with mine my favorite part is they can actually be repaired if they get damaged or you ruin a boot or something vs most other waders are done if you get a good hole, rip, or wear out the boots. If anyone else has them or gets them post up pics and what you think on here.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:19 am

Well I've finally actually had my waders out in the water the other day going scouting at a local marsh. Was quiet pleased no leaks as one would hope. Walked probably a good mile maybe more in them though water, mud, weeds, and some good brush. They were comfortable the whole time nothing tore threw them once on they weren't really loud at all. Getting them on was a little noisy with all the crinkling but once on they weren't any worse than the swishing of my buddies breathable cabelas waders. Walked through quite a bit of brush and cuckle burrs didn't phase them. The nice thing about them vs any neoprenes I've had the cuckleburrs didn't hardly stick to them.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:17 am

So I would buy these on a heart beat of I could find a review talking about them in cold weather? How cold has anyone been put in these. I am used to a 1600 gram boot, and I don't see a bogg or muck boot even coming close to that warm. I can't find anything on the website either. Since I'm deployed I can't get a catalog or call to talk to them. Obviously I will have to layer my legs properly to keep warm, but the feet really worry me. Anyone with some experience?
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby MarkM » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:26 am

B.E.Nelli wrote:So I would buy these on a heart beat of I could find a review talking about them in cold weather? How cold has anyone been put in these. I am used to a 1600 gram boot, and I don't see a bogg or muck boot even coming close to that warm. I can't find anything on the website either. Since I'm deployed I can't get a catalog or call to talk to them. Obviously I will have to layer my legs properly to keep warm, but the feet really worry me. Anyone with some experience?

The company is based out of Oregon, so I am sure the boots are good to go. He can also attach boots of your preference. Just speak with them through email and they can set you up.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:35 am

MarkM wrote:
B.E.Nelli wrote:So I would buy these on a heart beat of I could find a review talking about them in cold weather? How cold has anyone been put in these. I am used to a 1600 gram boot, and I don't see a bogg or muck boot even coming close to that warm. I can't find anything on the website either. Since I'm deployed I can't get a catalog or call to talk to them. Obviously I will have to layer my legs properly to keep warm, but the feet really worry me. Anyone with some experience?

The company is based out of Oregon, so I am sure the boots are good to go. He can also attach boots of your preference. Just speak with them through email and they can set you up.

I have read that they are all uninsulated boots.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby MarkM » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:33 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:
MarkM wrote:

I have read that they are all uninsulated boots.

He can attach boots of your choice if you read through the posts on the ifish forum.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:39 pm

I got the neoprene coated with rubber bog boots they offer. So there similar to a lacrosse alpha boot or lighter muck boot, so not super insulated like a 1600g boot but insulted much more than a rubber boot. When the winter comes and it gets colder I plan on just layering more and wearing thicker socks. I will post more about them in cold weather once it is cold. Read through the ifish forum lots of crap in there but quiet a few good reviews and satisfied customers. Also can pick out about whatever boot you want and they will put them on their waders. There may be limitations as to what kinds they can actually attach I assum it needs to have a rubber/neoprene outside in order for them to seal the seam properly idk. You can email them I'm sure they would be glad to help you as they make a lot of military products like dry suites, so being military I'm sure they would be glad to help you being deployed. I'm sure there not as warm as 5mm 1600g waders, but I'm sure with proper layer/clothing underneath cold weather shouldn't be a issue.

handyandy
hunter

Postby greenster » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:07 pm

website is up, but still doesn't work. requested a catalog
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Garand » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:04 pm

You can attached whatever boot you want to the waders, I thought about buying a set of MUCKS to have attached since I know how they fit,and I know how comfortable they are, but in the end I just went with their option. I called one evening and talked for quite a while with one of the guys on the military side of their operation, he said their boots were pretty nice, 7mm neoprene, and very warm. He preferred them over the BOGS branded boot they were offering.

Back on the Mucks topic, I can't see how you'd ever be cold with a set of Muck Artic Pro's or similar attached to them.

My USIA waders should be delivered next week, I'll be sure to post pics as well as my thoughts overall.
Garand
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:20 pm

I should be picking mine up in a week or so.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby buckmeister » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:34 pm

They look like something the military would order for fly-fishing.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:40 pm

That's more or less what they are
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby handyandy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:50 am

I guess the boots I have are the new ones mine took a while to get shipped from what they told me cause they switched what boots they were using. So I think mine are the newer ones I like them comfortable, nice and flexible, I haven't punctured them or anything so I can't complain. Like it was stated before your best off emailing/calling them the website sucks. I know that is annoying to a lot of people, but they do make a quality product that they stand behind. There not a huge business like cabelas or macks so their website may not be on par, but they make good stuff. When anyone else gets them please post pics would be cool to see what color combos others got.

handyandy
hunter

Postby Drundel » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:00 pm

handyandy,

What color is your base? Is that OD Green? I hunt in a lot of rice fields and really miss the old adv. wetlands camo, that worked great for us.

I've been watching the post on ifish for a while and sorta forgot about it for this fall, now I need a new pair of waders.

I called today and asked about boots and sent in a picture of the type of soles I need; those sand soles on their pictures would end up getting us killed. The rice fields are sloppy and even with LaCrosse bob sole mud boots we still slip and slide.
Drundel
Newb

Postby Garand » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Woo! Just got my shipping notification! I'll post pics when they arrive
Garand
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:36 am

my base color is a brown color they do have just plain OD green you can get one solid color or whatever. I went went with brown base and the old tan and brown desert camo.

handyandy
hunter

Postby Drundel » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks handyandy. I think I'm going with coyote brown and coyote brown. I wish they had a dark OD Green to help break it up a little, but oh well.

Did you ask about hand pockets instead of front pocket? I'm hoping I can get them to make it bigger for me and sew it top and bottom and leave the sides open. D-rings for sure.

Any changes you wish you would have done seeing it now in person? I asked about the tech fabric and they are gonna find out if it offers any benefit for the waders and get back to me.
Drundel
Newb

Postby handyandy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:30 am

I like the standard velcro pocket big enough to throw a hand full of shells in thas about all use it for. I have a hand warmer shell holder that I clip on the d rings for when it gets cold. They can make you the hand pocket but it won't be very warm since it's a cordura like material not really insulated. The d rings they use are stainless steel ones idk where they get them from but they look like ones that would be used for tie down points on a boat or something. I've had mine out few times now done a lot of walking around on a local marsh and had to bust through a bunch of brush in the woods to get to it they're tough. The boots are nice I really like them flexible and easy to walk in. I'm sure when it starts getting colder I will have to layer up better then I did with neoprenes being the material isn't as insulating. They do have a OD green color just ask them. I have no regrets about mine I'm sure they will last me a long time longer than any other waders would I suspect. Kind of wish I got multicam but the desert camo blends in pretty well in the marsh since most of the vegetation browns out and is tan color.

handyandy
hunter

Postby Garand » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:49 am

Mine arrived earlier this week and I was able to take them hunting yesterday!

Like Handyandy has been saying, these are easily the most rugged waders I have ever seen! I have no doubts they will last many many years!

I dropped the ball and didnt get any pics(YET) but I will say that both the Multi-cam version my buddy bought and the ATAC camo I chose work great for waterfowling!

The height of the waders is great too! They are truly chest waders, with the top being about 4" below the base of my neck.

When I was wearing them around the house I was a bit concerned about the boots, but after a day of hunting they seem to perform really well. If they do wear out, I'll just ship the waders back and have a set of Mucks attached.
Garand
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm pretty pleased with the boots thus far I have stubbed them into plenty of rocks and sticks so far with out puncturing them. I truly don't think there is a tougher set of waders garand when you get a chance snap some pics of your's and your buddy's. I will have to get some of mine out hunting when the season is opened back up hear after thanksgiving.

handyandy
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Gear Forum