STUCK CHOKE!!! HELP!!!

Interact with others on shot gun shells, reloading, ballistics, chokes, or anything that has to do with your shooting.

Moderators: donell67, pennsyltucky, Ohio Wildfowler, NV Guide

STUCK CHOKE!!! HELP!!!

Postby benelliboomer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:11 pm

:help:
I have a benelli nova in max 4. I Have a benelli modified choke stuck in there for about a year...
I want to get it out. I don't care if I ruin the choke, I just want a patternmaster in it.
I tried wd=40 and another brand. Would kroil be good?
Or how much does it cost to have a gunsmith drill out the choke?
Benelli. BOOM. BOOM. BOOM.
benelliboomer
hunter

Re: STUCK CHOKE!!! HELP!!!

Postby snowgoosin1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:26 pm

Tty soaking it in PB-blaster, if that doesn't work try to heat it up with a heat gun. Worked for me. If not u may have go try an internal pipe wrench
Get'n Paid
snowgoosin1
hunter

Postby derbyacresbob » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:20 pm

Running hot water over the last 4 or 5 inches of the barrel to heat up the barrel has worked for me in the past.

You just want to heat up the barrel not the choke. It doesn't take long to heat up the barrel. When you get the barrel hot, try to unscrew the choke.
Foxpro Field Staff
derbyacresbob
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 pm

snowgoosin1 wrote:Tty soaking it in PB-blaster, if that doesn't work try to heat it up with a heat gun. Worked for me. If not u may have go try an internal pipe wrench

X2! Best stuff on the planet
Gabagool
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:39 pm

Find a gunsmith, it's beyond your skill set, especially if you can't clean it and put some lube on it while you're cleaning the rest of the gun.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:14 am

stick end of barrel/choke in pot of diesel/or wd 40 etc overnight and have another go.I believe you need to let the slippery stuff soak into the threads...taking it to a gunny is a better idea...if they muck it up they have the tools to fix it.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby waterrat2 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:43 am

Put it in a freezer. Physical laws of dis-similar metals will kick in and it should unscrew.
waterrat2
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:50 am

Elvis Kiwi wrote:stick end of barrel/choke in pot of diesel/or wd 40 etc overnight and have another go.

Diesel might work, but stay away from WD-40! I've never used diesel, but I have used Automatic Transmission Fluid or hydraulic fluid with great success. If you really want to go Cadillac, soak it in Liquid Wrench for a few hours.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:19 am

Three things.

1. hold the barrel of the gun under hot water for 2-3 minutes, give it a try.
2. Dry everything off and hold a can of compressed air upside down and spray it on the tip of the barrel. Be careful, this stuff is COLD.
3. Prop the gun upside down with the choked end in some penetrating oil or break-free type solution for a day or so.

The rapid heating/cooling should expand/contract the barrel enough for the rust in the threads to break loose. You should be able to muscle it out.

Whatever you do, make sure you don't put so much torque into it that you bend/twist the barrel.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:49 am

Kroil is great stuff. It saved me from ruining an expensive Briley choke. Pour it in a narrow container and submerge the end of the barrel so you cover the entire choke. I had to soak mine for two days so be patient. Make sure you have a well fitted wrench and some way to firmly hold the barrel. If it doesn't release soak longer.
Kroil will not harm your barrel, no need to use heat. Good luck.
z51
hunter

Postby tommie d » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:48 pm

When you get the choke out, PM me your address I will send you a small tube of Anti-Seize for Christmas so this will never happen again.
tommie d
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:05 pm

z51 wrote:Kroil is great stuff. It saved me from ruining an expensive Briley choke. Pour it in a narrow container and submerge the end of the barrel so you cover the entire choke. I had to soak mine for two days so be patient. Make sure you have a well fitted wrench and some way to firmly hold the barrel. If it doesn't release soak longer.

This ^.

I've used a lot of penetrating formulas over the years, and Kroil never fails to impress me. The others....Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, etc. work sometimes....the Kroil seems to work every time.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Camocynergy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:27 pm

tommie d wrote:When you get the choke out, PM me your address I will send you a small tube of Anti-Seize for Christmas so this will never happen again.

x2

I used to hate the stuff because it's a weird white paste, but at my last job we used that stuff on equipment across the country from death valley to the frozen areas of Alaska, and it holds up. I've used small amounts on my choke tubes ever since, and it keeps them slick.
Camocynergy
hunter

Postby Paulinkansas » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:34 pm

tommie d wrote:When you get the choke out, PM me your address I will send you a small tube of Anti-Seize for Christmas so this will never happen again.

I've been using wheel bearing grease on my tubes. Is that an acceptable substiture for choke tube lube? They both have about the same viscosity feel.
Paulinkansas
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:49 pm

There are thousands of different oils/greases that will work, but none of them replace regular cleaning. I try to clean the guns once a month even if they have not been used. Part of that cleaning is removing the choke and wiping the threads with a rag and re-lubing.

I personally use Birchwood Casey Choke Lube. Its $7 for a little tube and will last for 10 years at least. It only takes a tiny bit on the threads.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby Rob MacK » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Paulinkansas wrote:

I've been using wheel bearing grease on my tubes. Is that an acceptable substiture for choke tube lube? They both have about the same viscosity feel.

I would say yes. I use white lithium but really most any grease will work better than oil especially if you leave them in for a couple outings. I dont recommend you do that. I clean and regrease the tube evertime I clean the gun.

Rob
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:54 am

Paulinkansas wrote:I've been using wheel bearing grease on my tubes. Is that an acceptable substiture for choke tube lube? They both have about the same viscosity feel.

Anything is better than noting, but the best thing is simply taking it out everytime you clean the gun and cleaning the exterior of the choke.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby el diablo » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:13 am

mudpack wrote:
z51 wrote:Kroil is great stuff. It saved me from ruining an expensive Briley choke. Pour it in a narrow container and submerge the end of the barrel so you cover the entire choke. I had to soak mine for two days so be patient. Make sure you have a well fitted wrench and some way to firmly hold the barrel. If it doesn't release soak longer.

This ^.

I've used a lot of penetrating formulas over the years, and Kroil never fails to impress me. The others....Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, etc. work sometimes....the Kroil seems to work every time.

X2 on this.
el diablo
hunter

Postby dog walker » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:33 am

Well I had a similar situation with my old SBE and a mod stock mobile choke. I can tell you this all the lube and never seize isn't worth a crap when you run a bunch of lettered shot through it and it expands in the threads :hi:
dog walker
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:54 am

ALWAYS USE CHOKE TUBE LUBE
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby dukdropper » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:00 pm

boomer, got that thing out yet? :hammer: been a few days!
dukdropper
hunter

Postby MK10 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:38 pm

benelliboomer wrote::help:
I have a benelli nova in max 4. I Have a benelli modified choke stuck in there for about a year...
I want to get it out. I don't care if I ruin the choke, I just want a patternmaster in it.
I tried wd=40 and another brand. Would kroil be good?
Or how much does it cost to have a gunsmith drill out the choke?

Provided the choke has not bulged, either lubricating or heating up the barrel usually does the trick with removing corroded chokes.

Seen a few of these over the years, most of which would come out after heavy lubricating. However, in the few that did not come out with this method, my local gunsmiths usually need to put a torch onto it order to heat up that barrel/choke area - this usually works, but requires barrel reblueing later.
MK10
hunter

Postby benelliboomer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:53 am

dukdropper wrote:boomer, got that thing out yet? :hammer: been a few days!

I have a kano kroil coming in the mail today! so im gunna soak that until the night before opening day and see if I can wrench it out
Benelli. BOOM. BOOM. BOOM.
benelliboomer
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:01 pm

thanks for the update...fingers crossed for ya.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:24 am

Paulinkansas wrote:

That does sound like a good idea to me but have no personal experience
rainingmallards
hunter

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes