New Duck Hunter

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Re: New Duck Hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:15 am

PP said judge distance... :lol3:
I pace out 20 yards and place decoys no further than that usually.
I have issues with depth perception. It helps me know how far away is too far.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby riverrat47 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:59 am

An old buddy that guided at clubs around Crab Orchard told me "There is no such thing as a goose out of range to a person from Chicago."
That being said, that was some good advice on understanding range.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby Ed L. » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:32 pm

aunt betty wrote:PP said judge distance... :lol3:
I pace out 20 yards and place decoys no further than that usually.
I have issues with depth perception. It helps me know how far away is too far.

BWWAAAAA. Yeah, me too. I put one decoy at 30 yards and the balance in between. I'm mostly a pothole gunner. I hate pass shooting in open water. I know there are times I should have shot but I hate skybusting. We've all watched guys shooting at birds 60 yards out and better but in reality a lot of those guys don't care they're there to shoot and who knows it only takes 1 pellet in the head right?
Ed L.
hunter

Postby Ed L. » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:43 pm

riverrat47 wrote:An old buddy that guided at clubs around Crab Orchard told me "There is no such thing as a goose out of range to a person from Chicago."
That being said, that was some good advice on understanding range.

LOL...I think I've hunted with some of those guys. I'm glad Aunt Betty added the decoy placement thing. I thought about that after I posted and then had to leave for awhile. I was fortunate to have my dad and uncle when I was growing up. There are a lot of young guns out there that would have benefited from some help when they got started. I see them and hear them many mornings. I admire someone that is humble enough to ask for help and wants to learn the right way.
Ed L.
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:13 pm

Ed L. wrote: There are a lot of young guns ( and old skybusters )out there that would have benefited from some help when they got started. I see them and hear them many mornings. I admire someone that is humble enough to ask for help and wants to learn the right way.

FIFY :beer:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby dangimissedagain » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Really?! How do you hunt 45+ days for ducks then?!?![/quote]

duck hunt morning, deer hunt afternoon, hunt before and after duck season, don't hunt 45+ days, maybe only 40, that still leaves 20 extra days to deer hunt... many ways to do both
dangimissedagain
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:25 pm

dangimissedagain wrote:Really?! How do you hunt 45+ days for ducks then?!?!

duck hunt morning, deer hunt afternoon, hunt before and after duck season, don't hunt 45+ days, maybe only 40, that still leaves 20 extra days to deer hunt... many ways to do both[/quote]

:clapping:
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Ed L. » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Blackcloud870 wrote:
Ed L. wrote: There are a lot of young guns ( and old skybusters )out there that would have benefited from some help when they got started. I see them and hear them many mornings. I admire someone that is humble enough to ask for help and wants to learn the right way.

FIFY :beer:

Plenty of them too!
Ed L.
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:10 pm

Just get out and have fun with it!

Jerk string will help a lot and when first calling focus mainly on good single quacks that are spaced out at least 1.5-2 seconds. Anything shorter will represent an alarm call. If you do want to add in a few more quacks make sure they are in the timing of three blind mice one two(that helped me a lot when I first started). Ask a lot of the old timers about hunting as most are willing to help.

Good luck and happy hunting! Welcome to the waterfowl addiction!!! :grooving:
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby jwurts4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:29 pm

jerk cord for sure...see below link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwCogADkov8

good blind bag, burlap, pruners/saw, face paint (back of hands too), let birds work, 2 calls for when one freezes up, good gloves (waterproof), thermos for coffee...I only drink it duck hunting...hot, wet, black just like my women hahaha

save money and buy the right gear once. Don't buy 3 Buffalo wrenches, just wait until you can afford snap-on.
jwurts4
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:20 pm

jwurts4 wrote:jerk cord for sure...see below link

good blind bag, burlap, pruners/saw, face paint (back of hands too), let birds work, 2 calls for when one freezes up, good gloves (waterproof), thermos for coffee...I only drink it duck hunting...hot, wet, black just like my women hahaha

save money and buy the right gear once. Don't buy 3 Buffalo wrenches, just wait until you can afford snap-on.

Buy a Jj Lares and you won't have to worry about it sticking :wink:
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:15 pm

RefugeRat4Life wrote:
jwurts4 wrote:jerk cord for sure...see below link

Buy a Jj Lares and you won't have to worry about it sticking :wink:

Gonna test one out this year, do you get alot of freezing temps in Cali???
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:52 pm

For the price to build one you can buy it cheaper unless you have everything laying around.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner-decoy-jerk-rig-kit/pid-365151?N=599422811&Ntt=jerk&Ntk=All
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:40 am

KillerKowalski wrote:For the price to build one you can buy it cheaper unless you have everything laying around.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner-decoy-jerk-rig-kit/pid-365151?N=599422811&Ntt=jerk&Ntk=All

Damn, that is a great price. Thanks!! :lol3:
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:56 am

Sure is! Look at the PVC cord too. Not sure if it is anymore, but it was $3.99 for 250' a month ago. I ordered four rolls. Quality is nothing different than any other PVC I have tried.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:22 am

Will do. I bought one of the kits already... time to retire the home made one! Might add it to my buddies barrel blind for the season.
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Previous

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting