Odor problem

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Odor problem

Postby Utter chaos » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:53 pm

I have a 5 month old choc lab an she seems to have an odor problem an gets my allergies going unlike any of my other dogs she also seems to have thin hair on the back of her back leg's and stomach an with winter coming on i dont want to give her to mant baths anyone have some ideas on what to try an do? different food maybe im not sure
Season totals
1 Widgeon
15 honkers
days hunted 4
Utter chaos
hunter

Re: Odor problem

Postby JustDucky! » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi! Sorry to hear about your pup's odor problem, I think you may be on the right track about food being a problem.

I had a wonderful setter once, she developed an odor problem too, and had substantial hair loss, as well as problems with the wax in her ears. Had her to several vets, but no one was ever able to pinpoint the problem exactly. After much trial and error, discovered she had a food allergy, even tho she was on some popular and well-recommended chow.

Went to an all natural food with none of the bad preservatives, ordered the stuff online as I could not get it here, and gave her lots of baths and soothing skin treatments, and she recovered about 95%. Also was super sensitive if a flea disregarded her flea coller and bit her.

Your pup may have allergies, but once you figure out what it is that is bugging her, you'll both be happier! :clapping:

There is a lot more food to pick from now, if you want I can let you know the name of some good food I have used for my four footed buddies.
JustDucky!
Newb

Postby copterdoc » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:37 pm

I was sure that this thread would be about a Chessie.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Yes please we have tried a fee types like diamond an what not but up set the other dogs stomach an one wouldnt even eat it do ifvu have a few brands to recomend trying ill give them a shot.

And no its not a Chesapeake she is a choc lab
Season totals
1 Widgeon
15 honkers
days hunted 4
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:31 pm

laugh all you like at this suggestion but then think about it.
try gluten free, it worked for our golden x he used to scratch himself raw till we gave it a try and never looked back. find a tame butcher who makes dog rolls and get him to brew you up a GF batch...no bother they just use corn flour instead of regular to "bind" it together.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby msheldon8 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Most likely an allergy. I deal with food allergies with my 1 1/2 year old chocolate. Duck based foods are about all he can handle without breaking out. He also used to be on a vet prescribed hypoallergenic food that worked great but was $100 for 28 lbs. it's not easy to deal with but is manageable just no cheap foods. Try different protein sources such as lamb bison duck or rabbit. Good luck.
msheldon8
hunter

Postby msheldon8 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:42 pm

I forgot to mention that dogs are commonly allergic to grains such as corn so if you're luck that may be all it is. Try a grain free.
msheldon8
hunter

Postby sdduckman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:33 pm

My older chessie ad the same problem. Put him on Natural Balance Duck and Potato, limited ingredient, cleared up in few weeks.
"There are only two true sports, hunting and fishing, anything else is just a game."
sdduckman
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum