Norther birds?

In the land of 10,000 lakes, Minnesota duck hunting is some of the best. Log in and discuss your Minnesota duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: beretta24, commander019

Norther birds?

Postby chasing the GREEN » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:03 am

Anyone notice if this weather has pulled down northern birds? I haven't been able to get out scouting yet. Im hoping some big green heads came down for this weekend at least.
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Re: Norther birds?

Postby MNjonboatguy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:15 am

I'm in the south metro and I've seen more ducks on the suburban ponds on my commute over the last few days, mainly mallards and they have more color than the last few weekend's birds.
Longest off season ever
MNjonboatguy
hunter

Postby Ducks22 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:32 am

Seeing a few more north of the cities and the geese are getting to be more more around. Hope they get some more crops out soon or they are not going to stick around too long.
Anyone seen or shot any snow geese. Talked to a bunch of guys pulling out of a field the other morning that had 5 in the truck. Said they seen quite a few that morning. They were mixed in with some honkers. Also heard a group shootin into a couple flocks snows in the cottage grove area.
Ducks22
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Saw some bigger flocks (30-75 birds) of lesser canadas last weekend. Pretty early if you axe me. But then hillbilly bagged a couple snows too. I don't think we had much weather to have pushed them down.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby chrisss » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:31 pm

Have been seeing a lot of movement in the metro area. Also heard there was snow in SD or maybe ND
chrisss
hunter

Postby StuStiltman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:50 pm

IMO, its too early for the weather to send us a big push of northern birds. Hopefully I'm wrong about that. I'm sure there will be new birds moving in, probably nothing major.
StuStiltman
hunter

Location: kinda between Fergus, DL and lawndale. draw a triangle on a map, I'm in there

Postby suicidal_scaup » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:44 pm

I'm hoping for a little bit of a push. Went out last Sunday with StuStiltman and we didn't see too many locals anymore. I am hoping for a push of some early divers (ringers and redhead). I am throwing out a gentle spread of divers on Saturday and we will see what happens. Was going to try Tamarac, but with the gov't shutdown, all signs point to "closed". We will see what happens...
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:57 pm

push now imo no ducks later. there takin the crops out like crazy around me but now this rain might have them on hold for a bit.

and yes I shot 2 snows last week if there were more I don't have any clue since I had my head down but a buddy said he either heard either snows or cacklers couple nights earlier. but im bettin if there were more just the 2 wouldn't have came down.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby chasing the GREEN » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:48 pm

well I sure didn't see any northern birds, just an insane number of wood ducks
chasing the GREEN
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:43 pm

I didn't see a lot of them, but it looks like there may be a slight push starting...

The scaup truly was suicidal. I love seeing divers fully commit. Can't wait for more!
Attachments
image.jpg
Quoted from my wife while I am tapping on my iPad, "Are you talking about ducks again?"
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby kris brantner » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:46 pm

Pet peeve of mine. Northern birds are no bigger or no more plumaged out than local birds. Of course the birds your seeing now are more plumaged out than the birds two weeks ago. Duh.
kris brantner
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:54 pm

[quote
="kris brantner"]Pet peeve of mine. Northern birds are no bigger or no more plumaged out than local birds. Of course the birds your seeing now are more plumaged out than the birds two weeks ago. Duh.[/quote]

I dnt see ringers,cans, buffel, goldies in early season gota wait till they get pushed from the north..wouldn't that mak them northern ducks
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Mort » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:01 pm

Nice job on the divers!!

Push some down here would ya!!!
Mort
hunter

Postby suicidal_scaup » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:54 pm

Like I said...not big groups. What I did see worked great. i hope to see some redhead and cans tomorrow. Trying a new spot so we will see what happens. I'll keep you guys posted on the numbers from up here. Raining pretty good right now and most of the afternoon. Not sure if that's good or bad.
Me, "Yep".
suicidal_scaup
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:25 pm

if you see cans im packin ship and headed north.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:35 pm

kris brantner wrote:Pet peeve of mine. Northern birds are no bigger or no more plumaged out than local birds. Of course the birds your seeing now are more plumaged out than the birds two weeks ago. Duh.

I agree100%

Almost all species shot here in MN also nest here in MN.

Im not saying I'm the expert or anything.

But I have seen Goldeneyes (one of the last to leave) on Leech lake in june and july. I have also seen them opening weekend near St Cloud. Hell, I shot a banded drake that was banded in MN during the summer.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby kris brantner » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:13 am

Did i say that no birds come from the north? Uh no. All i said is i hate it when someone shoots a plumaged out bird and thinks its from the north just because of the color of the duck. Most people associate color with northern birds because as the migration gets going later in the yr obviously the birds will be more colored out. Just bugs me is all...
kris brantner
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:33 am

Still lots of teal and woodies around...expecting the next couple weekends to be slower in my neck of the woods.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1381080783077.jpg
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Ducks22 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:39 am

Seen a few flocks of lessers this weekend out goose hunting in the metro area, Didn't see too many ducks, had one drake mallard that made the mistake of hovering over the mojo just a little to long. It's still too warm, we need some cooler temps to push these birds a little quicker.
Ducks22
hunter

Return to Minnesota Duck Hunting