Full Bodies in Water

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake, Token

Full Bodies in Water

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:31 am

What is everyone's take on getting extension stakes for your full bodies and mixing them in with your floaters?
Black Smoke
hunter

Re: Full Bodies in Water

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:12 am

Great for geese, but I long ago quit bothering with it for ducks. That's not to say it's a bad idea, just that I've not seen real advantage to it.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:30 am

I read that doing this can give ducks the idea that the water near your spread is shallow. Shallow usually means food. And they have a much fuller presence than a floater. Couldn't hurt to bring a few along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:42 am

Seems like a heck of a hassle to me. The only time I could see that being useful is if you are hunting a flooded crop field. Otherwise, in a marsh, lake, or river ducks will swim in 4" of water. They typically don't stand in the water unless its an inch or so deep.

We use fullbodies on the sand bars were we hunt, then floaters in the water.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:05 am

You can see FB decoys twice as far away as floaters.
So I'm guessing so can the ducks.
Giving the impression of ankle deep water is a good thing as well.
I helped a local guide set his rice spread.......100% fB's on stakes , he claimed he almost doubled his yearly take the years he used FB's on water.
A really cheap way of doing this is by using those cheap green hollow 4' garden stakes ...........that you can find in any hardware store. :yes:
Can't hurt to try it out ! :thumbsup:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:01 am

cheap green garden stakes? I'm trying to think of what you are talking about but nothing comes to mind. Btw thanks everyone for the responses. Callin Fowl can you explain just a little better thanks!
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:25 am

Rick Hall wrote:I long ago quit bothering with it for ducks. That's not to say it's a bad idea, just that I've not seen real advantage to it.

Interesting Rick, I've found the exact opposite to be true for the ducks in my neck of the woods. Especially if there is a wayward log that I can place 2 or 3 on. The ducks really key in on them from a distance and set rather nicely by them as well :thumbsup:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Black Smoke wrote:cheap green garden stakes? I'm trying to think of what you are talking about but nothing comes to mind. Btw thanks everyone for the responses. Callin Fowl can you explain just a little better thanks!

Here is a link...........they are hollow so the field stakes will fit right into them.
Wrap a little electrical tape around them if it's windy so they won't spin like a top.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_93169-16418-831 ... facetInfo=
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:22 am

Blackcloud870 wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:I long ago quit bothering with it for ducks. That's not to say it's a bad idea, just that I've not seen real advantage to it.

Interesting Rick, I've found the exact opposite to be true for the ducks in my neck of the woods. Especially if there is a wayward log that I can place 2 or 3 on. The ducks really key in on them from a distance and set rather nicely by them as well :thumbsup:

I've probably a dozen or so GHG FB mallards, with and without movement stands/stakes, feeding and resting, that I've used both in rice and the marsh, and they've been resting at the house the past few seasons. Seemed to me I was waaay ahead replacing them with geese. Perhaps if my situations were different that observation might be, as well.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:16 pm

....Are awesome! 4 ft. fiberglass driveway markers. Sorry for the poor pick. I have enough for a dozen geese and two dozen mallard shells/full-bodies.
Attachments
IMAG0114-1.jpg
IMAG0114-1.jpg (40.39 KiB) Viewed 902 times
IMAG0115-1.jpg
IMAG0115-1.jpg (41.3 KiB) Viewed 902 times
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:18 am

Thanks callinfowl I will check them out!
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:08 pm

Blackcloud870 wrote:

:clapping: The log idea works excellent! I made my own "log" and keep it in the boat. Its a 10 foot 2x10, wrapped in burlap, spraypainted flat brown and gray mixed, and i threw splatters of mud on for good measure. Drilled a hole in each in and tied a weight with a depth adjuster to it. I put 6 or so sleepers on it and the ducks seem so much less cautious. Not to say I havent had bad days with it out, I have....but they tend to circle alot less and commit quicker when they see it.
sehunter1
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:47 pm

BBK wrote:Seems like a heck of a hassle to me. The only time I could see that being useful is if you are hunting a flooded crop field. Otherwise, in a marsh, lake, or river ducks will swim in 4" of water. They typically don't stand in the water unless its an inch or so deep.

We use fullbodies on the sand bars were we hunt, then floaters in the water.

This is why you give the deception. Works unbelieveable in marshes and rivers. That's not saying you don't have to set your spread to make it still appear natural. They also stand out from a lot further away than floaters. It sounds silly as well, but take a few tops of corn stalks and attach them to 6 or so stakes. Add them around the decoys like grass clumps coming out of the water. Foliage is a decoy too. :thumbsup: Where ever you want the ducks to land, you put the full-bodies :wink:
muskyduck
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting