shut down

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, callncut, Ichabod97, fowl mouth

shut down

Postby recoil slinger » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Hows this goverment shutdown been affecting some of you guys? Ive slowed down alot due to most our contracts are military. Someone please give this presidend a bj so we can say goodbye
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Re: shut down

Postby lbhansford » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:35 pm

Ft Eustis hunts are going to be cut wayyyy back or off completely and Naval Weapons Station has closed all hunting....

I am not a dem but i will say that this is the doing a few radical repubs and they are ruining their chance for the upcoming election by making them all look bad. Not happy with those on capital hill still getting paid while alot of people we know suffer.

As much as I hate to say it Recoil,

A:The Affordable Care Act of 2010 was passed by both houses of Congress
B: Opponents then challenged the law's constitutionality and lost that battle in the Supreme Court of the United States
C:five months later, American voters re-elected by a 5 million-vote majority margin a president who stood foursquare behind the Affordable Care Act. In so doing, the electorate rejected a GOP presidential candidate who promised its repeal

If majority wants it to pass so be it. That is what a democracy is.... I personally will retain my private healthcare and see how the public side works out.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Well sort of. The Obamacare act was passed with one vote with no care for ligitimate concerns of half of the contry. Basically it was a big middle finger to those of us who pay taxes and have health care (middle class conservatives) to create an entitlement program for the dems to ensnare another group of people.

Fast forward the conservatives have the house and are using the only barganing chip they have to bring the other side to the table.

This my friend is how democracy works when one party rides roughshod over the concerns of the people that actually have to pay for these great liberal ideas.
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby E Tilton » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm a gov contractor and so far I can't complain aside from the fact that my favorite striper fishing spot is part of the NPS so it is closed right now. For me, it isn't so bad: my workload has been cut WAY back, my commute is 15 minutes shorter, and I'm still getting paid. I know that's a super short-sighted view, but, hey - might as well make the best of it.

In any event, A5 is exactly right: this is how our democracy works. Yes, this is a last-ditch effort, but if it works, it works and this is a legitimate tool in their arsenal - albeit a very inconvenient one for some folks. Employees furloughed will probably get back pay so really, as long as it doesn't take months and months, no harm no foul, right? In the event that they don't, I'll consider it "taking one for the team," though I'm sure those workers would probably feel a bit more animosity toward the whole thing.
E Tilton
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:19 am

I know this is a crazy idea ,but maybe people should be responsible for taking care of them selves . :fingerpt:
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:23 am

Fortunatly or unfortunatly i am not furloughed this go around. Oct. 1 was the opening day of deer season here and I know some guys that are off and are loving having opening week to go hunting. :crying: :grooving:

"Honey I would go to work but they won't let me. I had beter go kill something for us to eat till I go back to worrk." :wink:

That was my complaint against the last furlough, it didn't come during hunting season.
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby E Tilton » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:30 am

Yeah, I have a lease out in Loudoun County and had at least five calls by noon on Oct 1 from friends wanting to hunt it. I didn't make it out there all of bow season, so those fellas were out of luck on hunting my spot. Oh well.
E Tilton
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:18 am

A5Gunner wrote:Fortunatly or unfortunatly i am not furloughed this go around. Oct. 1 was the opening day of deer season here and I know some guys that are off and are loving having opening week to go hunting. :crying: :grooving:

"Honey I would go to work but they won't let me. I had beter go kill something for us to eat till I go back to worrk." :wink:

That was my complaint against the last furlough, it didn't come during hunting season.

You wrote the exact first thought that came to my head when i heard the news. I said that could be a win/win if I was federal haha
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Bullfrog26692 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:27 am

I went to work Tuesday expecting to be sent home, but they deemed me "essential personnel". So I got to stay and work with gauranteed pay, but no pay check until they pass a budget. A lot of other guys were sent home that day with out a gaurantee of a pay check. But as of yesterday they will still get a paycheck because congress passed a bill saying that they will back pay all federal employees. So they get a free vacation and I have to work. how does that work :huh: Those of us "essential personnel" were told no comp time will be authorized for the time we are here while others are off. On the bright side, if the ball went the other way and congress did not authorize back pay I would have still been paid due to being "essential". On a different note my Dad relies on the commissary for 75% of his pay check because he is a vendor. When the commissary closed down he pooped a brick. He was very excited to find out that all commissaries will open back up today at noon.
gooosehunter wrote:I dont always shoot ducks, but when I do, it's dos duckies.
Bullfrog26692
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:46 am

Bullfrog26692 wrote:I went to work Tuesday expecting to be sent home, but they deemed me "essential personnel". So I got to stay and work with gauranteed pay, but no pay check until they pass a budget. A lot of other guys were sent home that day with out a gaurantee of a pay check. But as of yesterday they will still get a paycheck because congress passed a bill saying that they will back pay all federal employees. So they get a free vacation and I have to work. how does that work :huh: Those of us "essential personnel" were told no comp time will be authorized for the time we are here while others are off. On the bright side, if the ball went the other way and congress did not authorize back pay I would have still been paid due to being "essential". On a different note my Dad relies on the commissary for 75% of his pay check because he is a vendor. When the commissary closed down he pooped a brick. He was very excited to find out that all commissaries will open back up today at noon.

Bull. Glad to see your pops is back in the saddle.
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby bowhunter1212 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:10 pm

It makes me so happy to know that my tax dollars will be going to pay someone for not working . :welcome: :mad:
bowhunter1212
hunter

Postby NOVAggie » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:33 pm

bowhunter1212 wrote:It makes me so happy to know that my tax dollars will be going to pay someone for not working . :welcome: :mad:

You don't really understand how shutdowns work do you?
I SUPPORT SUNDAY HUNTING IN VIRGINIA!!

imaduckin up north wrote:Lew starts twitchin when aggie walks in the room
NOVAggie
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:33 pm

This is how its working for me: I work and hunt the base I work on…and it'll be closed for hunting until this garbage is cleared up. I'm expected to show up to work but forget recreation!

Looks like ill be beggin you all for pictures of whatever you're kill and watchin the birds use the base as a nice little sanctuary for a while.
Dog Tired
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting