Selecting the proper wire size

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Selecting the proper wire size

Postby T Man » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:56 pm

I have seen people on here ask about the proper wire size to use on their boat project. I found a website listed at the bottom which I think has some pretty good information on it and it also has a very simple chart to read. The length of run is based on the TOTAL length of the run, from the positive battery terminal all the way back to the negative terminal. For example, my boat is 16' long, so I would use a length of around 30 feet. To calculate amps you need to take watts/voltage. I prefer to err on the safe side and use a voltage value of 11 volts. Use the "Critical" circuit

http://www.bluesea.com/articles/1437
Attachments
DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: Selecting the proper wire size

Postby Boatman » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Good info T can you make that smaller,it don't fit the page and can't see the whole chart. I install a lot of trolling motors and would like to see the upper amp readings.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Re: Selecting the proper wire size

Postby T Man » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:32 pm

Boatman wrote:Good info T can you make that smaller,it don't fit the page and can't see the whole chart. I install a lot of trolling motors and would like to see the upper amp readings.

All the way to 200A :thumbsup:
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds