eye infections...UPDATE

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: eye infections...UPDATE

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:16 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:Thats tough Swamp. Hopefully that mass is nothing. My walker hound had three taken off of her few months back. Luckily they were all benign. Im sure he will heal up by season time.

@Sharris- question is, do it before the season starts? or wait till after? season starts in 1 month.
Wait and see if the oral antibiotics clear it up???

Is it a puss filled cyst or a hard cyst? If its just puss i would wait til the end of the season. However, if you can teach Woods to retrieve birds I would go ahead and give the dog surgery to remove it and not risk the dogs chances. Once the scar is healed well he can get back in the water Im sure.

HMM...kind of like a what a ganglion cyst feels like, but just under the skin and not deep.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

eye infections...UPDATE

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:41 am

Indaswamp wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:Thats tough Swamp. Hopefully that mass is nothing. My walker hound had three taken off of her few months back. Luckily they were all benign. Im sure he will heal up by season time.

@Sharris- question is, do it before the season starts? or wait till after? season starts in 1 month.
Wait and see if the oral antibiotics clear it up???

Is it a puss filled cyst or a hard cyst? If its just puss i would wait til the end of the season. However, if you can teach Woods to retrieve birds I would go ahead and give the dog surgery to remove it and not risk the dogs chances. Once the scar is healed well he can get back in the water Im sure.

HMM...kind of like a what a ganglion cyst feels like, but just under the skin and not deep.

I'm no doc or vet so I don't know what a ganglion cyst feels like. If its just under the skin and you can move it around and it's not rock hard then it is more than likely not a tumor and likely not cancerous. At least that's what my vet had told me.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby sharris » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:22 pm

If it were my dog and there were no financial constraints I'd just take it off right away and submit it for biopsy -- this way you know what you are dealing with and not guessing. If you are looking to save some money and your vet routinely sends out samples to commercial labs (e.g. antech/idexx), I'd just ask him for the mass in a formalin jar and take it over yourself to the LSU diagnostic lab. They'll bill you on the spot at their published prices (around $50 with the accession fee) which is pretty reasonable.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 24
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:07 am

tomorrow is the last day of antibiotics. The lump on the dogs leg has shrunk 60~75% in size. It started out little smaller than a ping pong ball, now it's about the size of a small marble. I will have another sample drawn and bring it to the LSU VET school for diagnostics tests to see what it is. On a side note, the antibiotics knocked the eye infection out. Dog looks healthy again.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby AKPirate » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:26 am

Indaswamp wrote:tomorrow is the last day of antibiotics. The lump on the dogs leg has shrunk 60~75% in size. It started out little smaller than a ping pong ball, now it's about the size of a small marble. I will have another sample drawn and bring it to the LSU VET school for diagnostics tests to see what it is. On a side note, the antibiotics knocked the eye infection out. Dog looks healthy again.

:thumbsup:
AKPirate
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:32 am

Good deal swamp
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:35 am

Good to hear Swamp.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:32 am

I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:31 pm

Been hunting the dog and monitoring the growth of the lump on the dog's leg. Yesterday evening, when examining the leg, the growth of the lump is increasing in size. I called the LSU Vet school and made an appointment for Jan. 8th to have it looked at. Will know more after that.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Is it solid?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:55 pm

beretta24 wrote:Is it solid?

kind of solid when it shrunk from the antiboitics...but right now, it has a lot of fluid around it and is bigger than a golf ball.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:08 pm

Dang, forgot you already gave him antibiotics. Otherwise I say sterilize a pin give it a poke.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:09 pm

beretta24 wrote:Dang, forgot you already gave him antibiotics. Otherwise I say sterilize a pin give it a poke.

Hope is does not break the surface and burst before next weds.....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:55 pm

Starting to sound like a sliver or something got embedded. Good luck!
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby sharris » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:29 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Been hunting the dog and monitoring the growth of the lump on the dog's leg. Yesterday evening, when examining the leg, the growth of the lump is increasing in size. I called the LSU Vet school and made an appointment for Jan. 8th to have it looked at. Will know more after that.

Vet schools are notoriously slow so plan on having the whole day free. They probably won't do much other than a physical exam and a cytology, and then schedule an appointment to have an excisional biopsy done later in the week. Any consideration on just having your vet cut it off and submitting the sample for biopsy (it would probably save you some money)? Whether it is inflammatory or neoplastic, you are still going to want it off...
HR Annie Git Your Gun
sharris
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:14 pm

well, the mass/lump ruptured last night. Not sure if it was from the dog aggravating it by licking or what, but when I let him out of his kennel this morning he had a 1.5 inch gash where the sore was. Off to the Vet we went. Scheduled surgery to remove the mass is on monday. Got the dog on antibiotics and packing the wound with neosporin until then.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:20 pm

Indaswamp wrote:well, the mass/lump ruptured last night. Not sure if it was from the dog aggravating it by licking or what, but when I let him out of his kennel this morning he had a 1.5 inch gash where the sore was. Off to the Vet we went. Scheduled surgery to remove the mass is on monday. Got the dog on antibiotics and packing the wound with neosporin until then.

Sorry to hear that Swamp. Hope surgery goes well. My walker hound had a cyst on her leg that ruptured and I remember watching how disgusting it was when the vet was squeezing everything out.

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:23 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:well, the mass/lump ruptured last night. Not sure if it was from the dog aggravating it by licking or what, but when I let him out of his kennel this morning he had a 1.5 inch gash where the sore was. Off to the Vet we went. Scheduled surgery to remove the mass is on monday. Got the dog on antibiotics and packing the wound with neosporin until then.

Sorry to hear that Swamp. Hope surgery goes well. My walker hound had a cyst on her leg that ruptured and I remember watching how disgusting it was when the vet was squeezing everything out.

I do not think this is a cyst.It's a fleshy mass of tissue.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:26 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
tmclaimerFL wrote:

I do not think this is a cyst.It's a fleshy mass of tissue.

Hmmmm :huh:

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Sorry to hear that swamp...hopefully Monday goes smooth.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby sharris » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:46 pm

Hopefully it is just a benign hair follicle tumor (trichoepithelioma, pilomatricoma, etc.). Those can bust open and get pretty nasty. Is the surgery done yet? Everything go well?
HR Annie Git Your Gun
sharris
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:34 pm

sharris wrote:Hopefully it is just a benign hair follicle tumor (trichoepithelioma, pilomatricoma, etc.). Those can bust open and get pretty nasty. Is the surgery done yet? Everything go well?

Yea...it was pretty nasty when it ruptured...

surgery should be underway anytime now...I think somewhere around 2pm. will know more later today.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:52 pm

surgery went well. Will find out more tomorrow.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:28 pm

beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:53 pm

Picked the dog up this morning. Fighting that infection must have really had the dog down because he is full of energy today...
Doc did a good job on the stitches:

I will drop the mass off at the LSU Vet school for a biopsy tomorrow....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum