Minnesota diver duck hunting

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Minnesota diver duck hunting

Postby big ben » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:59 pm

I've just been hunting for two years now and i am hunting by myself ( and pretty much teaching myself ) . I mainly hunt a horse shoe pond that's really big, it's 15-20 feet deep on one side and just 4-6 feet deep on the other side. What's a basic diver set i can do with like a dozen diver decoys( bluebills and ring necks ) , i've got 70 mallard dekes to i've shot buffleheads over them . . I'd appreciate any info on hunting for divers or just about divers. I like killing a drake mallard but i'd rather shoot a diver of any kind. Thanks - BIG BEN[/b]
big ben
hunter

Postby Brett Beinke » Fri May 06, 2005 12:29 pm

I hunt divers quite a bit in MN. You can get by with a few and keep adding on. Ideally a great diver spread is big but it won't match your hunting situation. For hunting ponds a dozen bills outta cover ya. Run a diver line into your mallards and you will get a good look from any diver that hits your pond.
Brett Beinke
hunter

Postby bloodjunkie » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:11 am

I HAVE BEEN HUNTING DIVERS FOR YEARS ON LONG LAKE NEAR WILMER MN AND IN SOUTH DAKOTA AND ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED IS THE MORE BLUE BILL DEEKS YOU HAVE IN THE WATER THE BETTER AND DONT MINGLE YOUR MALLARDS WITH YOUR BILLS KEEP THEM A LITTLE WAYS AWAY AND KEEP THE NUMBERS OF THEM SMALL LIKE FOR EVERY 10 BILLS YOU MAYBE WANT 2-3 MALLARDS AND BLUE BILLS LIKE LINES LONG LINES TRY SETUPS LIKE THE J-HOOK . I LASO LIKE TO USE MAGNUMS ON FOGGY DAYZ OR ON BIG WATER EASYER SEE FROM LONGER DISTANCE ..... BUT KEEP TRYING NEW THINGS ITS WHAT EVER WORKS [/b]
bloodjunkie
hunter

Postby bloodjunkie » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:14 am

HAY HOW BIG IS THIS POND 2-3 ACERS OR MORE LIKE 10-15 OR EVEN BIGGER???
bloodjunkie
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting