I drew fish pt

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

I drew fish pt

Postby goosman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Drew fish point for opener. By the looks of it, it is in sad shape no crops and permanent blinds wth are they doing up there why no food it won't hold ducks with no food. Any thoughts
Last Descent Outfitters (616)723-5429
Waterfowl Guide Service
Timber Hunts
Grain Field Hunts
Open Water Layout Diver Hunts
Big boat/pontoon blind
goosman
hunter

Re: I drew fish pt

Postby alipinski397 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Join here http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Use search and plenty of discussions to read about it.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=479205&highlight=point

What they do up there is a lot of hard work and results are all dependant on weather throughout the year.
alipinski397
hunter

Postby goosman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:54 pm

I realise that it is alot of hard work, we do alot of the same methods on our own property. With no food, you cant hold alot of ducks. They will stop and in and push on. I hunt alot of public and state gmus and fennville todd farm years back tried changing stuff around and it has takin years to get numbers back to where it holds lots of birds again. I love going to fish point i have applied for opening day for years and finally drew just a little bummed its not gonna be the same standing corn and stuff like previous years hunting from a blind with 4 guys is tough with how small they made them and with no standing corn there is no cover except the blind. I know it was a ruff year for crops we lost all our corn in the floods this spring. but we replanted it was late but its gonna make it. Thats all self funded by a few guys in our club. I know they cant flood the feilds to early or they get ate out in a hurry. Im hoping this year with no corn they at least have water in all the zones. And God willing there is enough smart weed and natural millet in front of the corn that they can eat and actually wanna be there and not just pass through. Im not trying to be a know it all im just being a baby hopefully it will be ok just wondering if anyone else shared my opinoin. take care fellas and good luck saturday 60 days of madness is about to start i love it the first 3 weeks or so but then it feels to much like a job lol i can sleep in december tho :).
Last Descent Outfitters (616)723-5429
Waterfowl Guide Service
Timber Hunts
Grain Field Hunts
Open Water Layout Diver Hunts
Big boat/pontoon blind
goosman
hunter

Postby alipinski397 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:24 am

Look at it as an opportunity ;)There will be good shooting for guys who think outside the box.

Water should be better then last year. They were filling ditches and getting sheet water in the fields in late September.

Muckboy keeps up a pretty good report on all the areas through out the year. http://muck-boy.com/Muckboy%20Michigan%20Waterfowl%20Report%20Page.htm
alipinski397
hunter

Postby luv2hunt2 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:05 am

Did you do any good at fish pt?
luv2hunt2
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:36 am

We did good at FP but not as good in years past. Sat and Sunday were the best and we got close to limits but Monday and Tuesday there were not as many flying. The cover and food is nonexistent and the birds are not working all the fields but just isolated areas. water is ok but not as deep as years past in all the fields. Lots of pintails and Blacks this year. got a few full color mallards too but most of the mallards were immature.

They are claiming that the cranes ate most of the seed in the north field and the deer ate the rest. IMO the farmers are planting crap seed for the rows that will be left (was told last year that they use old leftover seed) and the good seed for their crop to be harvested but that is just what it looks like to me. I have farmed and worked farms for years and that is the crap you get from bad seed (short or no eared corn).
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting