Prop "Blow out" / power tech.

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Prop "Blow out" / power tech.

Postby waterfowler9 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:19 am

currently running a 10 3/8" X 11" ss prop and on take off when i punch the throttle the motors RPM shoot up and kind of studders before it grabs. Once the motor is hooked up the runs great, but the initial take off sucks. I have a 13 pitch AL prop i have not used and i am thinking about putting that on and testing it out. If it does not blow out with the 13 pitch should i order a new stainless 13" or should i drop down to a 12" due to prop material and performance. I have a hard time grasping the idea that one single pitch size would fix the problem. Anyone run into a similar problem and how did you fix it. I talked to power tech props and they recommended one of their props in the 12 pitch. What makes theirs props and different from a Mercury or solas prop? would there by any significant reason to purchase from then rather than a mercury dealer.
waterfowler9
hunter

Re: Prop "Blow out" / power tech.

Postby Boatman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:49 pm

What motor-boat? Do you have power trim? How high is the motor mounted, picture would be nice.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:05 pm

The boat is a 1860 Weldbilt Mod. V with a 2005 Mercury 50 hp 2 stroke. The stainless is actually 11 5/8 X 11 not 11 3/8 like mentioned above. The motor does have power T&T and when take off the motor is trimmed all the way down. I do not remember what hole the motor is mounted on but the cavitation plate is level with the bottom of the boat when it is trimmed up. Also, i double checked and my AL prop is actually a 12 pitch black max. Also, i do not have any pictures of the back of the boat/motor.
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:07 pm

Does that prop have any holes drilled in the hub? Put the other prop on and see if it does it with that one. If your SS prop has a plastic hub make sure the nut is good and tight,those new hubs can slip if nut is not tight.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:25 pm

I am not sure if it has holes or not, i know some of them you can plug so it blocks the exhaust, but i will double check. It does not have the plastic Flo-tourque hub the news mercury props have, just the spline shaft.
waterfowler9
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds