Hold on boys

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

Hold on boys

Postby 870 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:02 pm

Just wanted to tell you boys down State to hang in there. We still have tons of Geese up here. Its hard to go by a corn field and not see any. I saw about a 1000 the other day across the road from a job I was on :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:41 pm

Thanks for the update. When are you gonna come down here and get on them with me? My buddy is looking into a few spots for me. I have all next week off. Other than Monday and Wednesday I'm free. Get down here and let's get on 'em.

Here's a little eye candy from after Thanksgiving just to entice you!

harvey1b
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:02 pm

OOH OOH I wanna go. I have got to get up there, or any other state for that matter and kill me a canada. We dont ever see them here until april or so and then you may see a group a year. We have a week long season for them in January but thats it and you can kill one. I just dont get it. Yall still seeing a lot of birds up there.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby 870 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:19 pm

Hey smack we have tough geese up here :toofunny:
and if you step one foot out of La it better be heading up here :cool:

Harvey the weekend after Christmas I'm hoping for. :thumbsup: I'm praying no snow
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Flying woodchucks

Postby Dep666 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:19 am

Canadas?????? KInd of fun to shoot.....Kinda dumb....Kinda NOT my favorite late season foe.....LOL.....We have a ton of them things flying all over. Don't get me wrong , I'll blast a few honkers if the oportunity presents itself. For me the name of the game is divers baby!

Hey 870..... I hope you didn't forget your ole pal French. I still have you penciled in for a sea duck or diver hunt.
Dep666
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:30 am

870 - I'll send you a pm and we can figure it out.

Matt French - I'm not going to argue with you as to the intellegence of a Canada goose and that's cool that you prefer to hunt divers, NOT my favorite late season game. Like the saying goes, "that's what makes horse racing."

For me there's just something about having 100+ geese put their feet down in your face.

Good luck with those divers. I'll be putting it on those honkers 870 is talking about. :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Maybe a DHC get together goose hunt?

Postby cobber » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:02 am

I PM'd Clutchfan earlier about some of us getting together at the T & C co-op for a goose hunt after Christmas. Are you guys interested in doing that?

I hunt in the southeast zone so my season ends on the 31st over here.
cobber
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:12 am

:thumbsup: great idea

I'ld be interested. I have 18 fullbodies to throw into the spread.
harvey1b
hunter

T&C Coop

Postby WNYHunter » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:39 am

Hey boys......I'll be at the coop on the 26th. :thumbsup: Reserved a field this past Tuesday. With a little luck we may have some light snow/rain....hopefully they will be flying! :smile:
WNYHunter
WNYHunter
hunter

Postby cobber » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:49 am

I have 3 Fullbodies and 2 dozen shells to throw in. No layout blind though.

When can everyone get together? Weekends are best for me... and it looks like I'm working next week.
cobber
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:42 pm

Boys - After a morning of shooting pheasants I was meandering back to work via State Rt. 90 and you should have seen the rafts of divers and the geese out in front of Aurora :eek: :eek: I'd say the T/C co-op should be a good bet.

Doin' the in-law Christmas on the 26th but it'll be diver hunting for the next week straight. Making the pilgrimmage to the Niagara R. on Wed. and then back to Cayuga. :getdown: :getdown:

Merry Christmas and good luck. DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:04 pm

I'll be chasing the divers too. I love hunting geese in September but never really got into hunting them late season. But for you guys who will be chasing geese around Cayuga Lake. On Monday around 10 AM I watched a couple thousand snow geese fly over the lake from the Seneca County side and spiral down to roost around Aurora.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Geese

Postby Dep666 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:56 pm

Hey Harvey I really didn't mean to sound confrontational. I hope you didn't take it that way. I just would pefer to have a chance at a Canvasback than shoot a bunch of honkers on a field hunt. I really have nothing against geese, just I haven't found a way to make them taste good. Now Snow geese is another story.........I shot my first snow earlier this fall in North Dakota. They are beautiful birds. Wouldn't mind taking a trip for specks someday......

Well this split should be interesting. Warmer weather and high winds.... SWEEET. What a procrastinator I am......still painting dekes :yes:
Dep666
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:17 am

Matt,

No offense taken. I have never harvested a canvasback and that would be very cool. I like duck hunting, don't get me wrong, butm ost of my access is to goosey places so that's what I focus on.

I've found cooking goose is a lot easier than duck, pulled goose is awesome. I find that marinating it in beer takes a lot of the gamey flavor out, which I don't mind but my girlfriend hates. Since I'm usually cooking for 2 or more I have to keep that in mind.

I have trouble getting duck to come out as good and prefer eating goose. If you have any good duck recipes I'ld love to see them.

Have a Merry Christmas! :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Ducks

Postby Dep666 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:23 am

Wellllllll........Try marinating them in Teriakyi(sp?) for a few hours......Wrap the sliced breasts ina piece of bacon. Roll them up and stick em with a tooth pick. Put it all on a grill and cook on med heat . A little rare is the best.......as is a few Captian and cokes to boot......Merry Christmas boys, I got to get back to painting dekes....
Dep666
hunter

Return to New York Duck Hunting