tracker grizzly 1848?

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

tracker grizzly 1848?

Postby gawaterfowler » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:16 pm

Does anyone have this boat? I'm looking at one and its the best option so far because its a wide open floor. Is that to narrow for 18ft? I'll hunt small rivers and small lakes with it. I'm also stuck in a way because I hunt two people all the time 3 sometimes and of course mans best friend always goes. I had a 16ft but it was to crowded. I feel like a 17 is the best fit but near impossible to find used. So is the 18 to big for my needs? Also I hunt deeper water most of the time 8+ ft deep
gawaterfowler
hunter

Re: tracker grizzly 1848?

Postby waterfowler9 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Which ever size boat you feel you need or will work for you, get the next size larger. Once they are filled with gear and people the shrink considerably.
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby T Man » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:36 pm

48 feels narrow on a 16' boat, even worse on a 18'. If you want a 18' the narrowest I would go is a 60"
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby justinduckman7 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:35 pm

We got a 1860 with 50 hp two stroke merc and it's a awesome set up tracker makes a decent boat
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby jerseyjimk » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:45 am

I had a 1648 hated it,I now have a 1860 love it.Plenty of room for 3 people and mans best friend plus gear.
jerseyjimk
hunter

Postby gock5 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 am

I have the 1860, fits 3 hunters (not small either), dog and all gear comfortably and very safely. A lot more stable, side to side. Get the wider boat.
gock5
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:40 am

48 is very skinny...
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:59 am

grizz18 wrote:48 is very skinny...

I think those are intended to be a mud boat...if that's what you're doing, then it may work. But if you're putting an outboard on it you'll want 60". I prefer even wider, plan on getting an 1872 in a few years. Also tracker doesn't have the best welds....I'd look into other brands first.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby gawaterfowler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:14 am

I passes on the boat but as far as brands I'm a college student who works and has to buy what I can afford right now
gawaterfowler
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:19 am

gawaterfowler wrote:I passes on the boat but as far as brands I'm a college student who works and has to buy what I can afford right now

Remember, you dont HAVE to buy anything. Save your money and buy the boat that fits your needs, not just your budget.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:52 pm

T Man wrote:
gawaterfowler wrote:I passes on the boat but as far as brands I'm a college student who works and has to buy what I can afford right now

Remember, you dont HAVE to buy anything. Save your money and buy the boat that fits your needs, not just your budget.

X2. It's gonna take me a little while to save enough to acquire my dream boat, I'd rather just do without a boat or hunt with a friend for the time being, than buy something too small/inferior quality and be stuck with it even longer.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:43 pm

T Man wrote:

I would also have to agree been there done that. The first year in college I got into duck hunting the next borrowed a friends dad's little 14ft boat with a 10hp outboard. After that decided I had to have a boat of my own but wanted bigger obviously. I couldn't afford much so I bought a POS old landou riveted 1648 mod v boat for cheap. It was cheap for a reason. I then saved up for used welder cause I had to competely redo the transom, seats, tons of crap. Granted I taught myself to weld aluminum in the process and learned a lot, but it would have been money a head had I just waited another year or two to save up and buy a boat like I have now. My advice like T Man said save up more get something used that is the size you want 1860 would probably be a good size for you if hunt three and a dog, don't get a riveted boat if you are really going to use and abuse the boat like most hunters do you will always be fighting leaky rivets. Get a cheap compression gauge from harbor freight and check the compression on any used boat you are thinking about buying it will tell you a lot about a engine and can keep you from buying a junk one. It's hard to find a good deal on a welded boat I know it took me a while to find one, but keep your eyes open they come up. Sometimes you can find a rough looking one that just needs some TLC to be a good boat again.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:58 pm

handyandy wrote:It's hard to find a good deal on a welded boat I know it took me a while to find one, but keep your eyes open they come up. Sometimes you can find a rough looking one that just needs some TLC to be a good boat again.

Yep, especially an 18+ footer. I had initially planned on buying a new hull and used outboard, but with the way aluminum prices have been skyrocketing it looks like that ain't happening. I could buy a brand new regular cab truck for what I'd have to spend going the brand new route... :fingerhead:
It's amazing how you go from the 52" bottom on a 17 footer, to a 60" or 72" bottom on an 18+ footer, and the prices go through the roof. I reckon it could partly be due to the lack of availability...sub-18 footers can be found anywhere at "normal" prices used, then you move to the next size up and they're difficult to find and a good deal is like impossible to come by.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds