Duck Hunting Forum banner

Diver duck calls ect.

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Shade 
#1 ·
So im new to chasin divers. Ive shot a few here and there but never threw diver deeks or anything, however they look awesome and seem like a real challenge so naturally I want one on the wall. Ive been reading around about diver set ups and deeks and calls and what not and have a good general idea but I saw today that they actually make diver calls? Up until this point I haven't herd much or seen much on the calling aspect, I guess because maybe they are going mach 1!!! Any ways any input on that would be great. Also ive seen a few things about keeping the redhead decoys separate from other divers? Is this necessary? And if so how separate? Thanks to all

#3 ·
I keep all the species on their own mainline. 1) Because keeping them in their own bag makes it easier when its time to decide which species to bring (And sorting through all the bags to get the right ones would suck) and bringing in the long-lines with mixed species would suck to put the decoys in the right bag. 2) I have noticed that a majority of duck species show a certain degree of racism... some more than others. 3) I like the way the spread looks better this way (I know I am selfish like that). 4) IMO it makes the individual species easier for the targeted specie to see (i.e. if all the redheads are together, its easier for the redhead flying by to notice them)

As far as calling, I have hunted with guys that are pretty good at calling divers. At least it sounded good to me. And it seemed to work. I have seen a few TV shows where the hunters call at Bluebills and Cans with their mouths. Which didn't sound good to me but apparently was working. A lot of the whistling divers can be whistled at by mouth or whistle call. Take what you will from this, but the overall consensus among Duck hunting (Diver/Puddle/Sea) is "Be where the ducks want to be" and you wont have to worry about calling very much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.