Blinds on Public water

For information on local hunting and meet other hunters here in the Virginia duck hunting forum.

Moderators: swampbilly 1980, fowl mouth, callncut, Ichabod97

Blinds on Public water

Postby Side by Side » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:35 pm

Spent time on Google Earth looking for new spots. Found a couple of interesting places. Out scouting today and found a nice spot with good numbers of ducks. Public water. Someone built a blind in the entrance. Nice job on the blind. It is a few years old and looks like it was last brushed in a year ago. Found a few of this year's empties around the blind.

It is public water so first come, first serve. Do people build blinds knowing they might not be able to use them because someone else is already by their blind? Or do they just plan on getting up scary early to get out to use them? Or do they think building a blind somehow gives the rights to that spot?

Could see something like this getting people upset. To add to it, there is also a very old blind that is rotted and fallen apart 20 yards from the current blind.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction must make sense.
Side by Side
hunter

Re: Blinds on Public water

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:02 am

Here in Texas public water, blinds at night are big and bright, because they are usually on fire after a good first come first serve you pissing match. Over the yrs and have seen several good pictures of burning blinds.

Where you are, I haven't a clue. I would think it is a lot of work that the slob/lazy hunters will take full advantage of.

Sent from my Tesla coil [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby va marsh rat » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:13 am

va marsh rat
hunter

Postby Side by Side » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:18 am

I forgot about the public water where you can license and build a blind. Should have been more specific. I am talking about public water without blind licenses. West of 95.

The lazy/slob hunter is the issue. I did my research on the maps, got out and scouted. Found a spot. Did it the old fashion way. I am not trespassing. I am legally allowed to hunt there. I should be able to hunt there. I understand that someone spent time/money to build a blind but why would you do that in a place where there are no provisions to reserve it? It could be said the guy who built the bind is the slob for trying to make a spot open to the public 'his'.
Side by Side
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:51 am

Side by Side wrote:I forgot about the public water where you can license and build a blind. Should have been more specific. I am talking about public water without blind licenses. West of 95.

The lazy/slob hunter is the issue. I did my research on the maps, got out and scouted. Found a spot. Did it the old fashion way. I am not trespassing. I am legally allowed to hunt there. I should be able to hunt there. I understand that someone spent time/money to build a blind but why would you do that in a place where there are no provisions to reserve it? It could be said the guy who built the bind is the slob for trying to make a spot open to the public 'his'.

Yeah google earth is the old fashion way. Did you download that app on your rotary cell phone. West of 95 or not. If you didn't build it stay out of it.
Drank some of daves koolaid, and cant stop looking in the mirror.
vice president of back bay blind retrieval association.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:09 am

You know I see a lot of these in places where they are not protected by law, in and out of VA. I guess they want a nice blind to hunt out of or maybe they don't have a blind on the boat. I would guess that they know it isn't protected but you wouldn't catch me in someone else's blind. I don't need the hassle. On the other hand if I show up in the moring and no one is there don't see why I wouldn't set up right next to it if i liked the spot.
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:23 am

Dummy blinds are my favorite. I will find it, call the man , and hunt the ever loving shat out of it. Killed lots of birds thag way. But really public is public. You paid just like the last man. Make due. But locking up public water the stupid way I cant stand
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby Side by Side » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:49 am

recoil slinger wrote:
Side by Side wrote:I forgot about the public water where you can license and build a blind. Should have been more specific. I am talking about public water without blind licenses. West of 95.

Yeah google earth is the old fashion way. Did you download that app on your rotary cell phone. West of 95 or not. If you didn't build it stay out of it.

What I meant is I didn't stalk online to use other peoples spots. I did time in the boat scouting and marking stuff I thought had potential on a map. Then I used google earth to get a better view. Then went to spots I thought looked best, found places to hide boat... And yes I old enough to remember getting topo maps from USGS and then how cool it was getting satellite maps of areas. Now I just download an app.

Again, I wasn't clear. I am not talking about hunting in the blind. I am talking about getting up early, setting up in that cove in my boat with the pop up blind I built.
Last edited by Side by Side on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Side by Side
hunter

Postby recoil slinger » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:55 am

Side by Side wrote:
recoil slinger wrote:

What I meant is I didn't stalk online to use other peoples spots. I did time in the boat scouting and marking stuff I thought had potential on a map. Then I used google earth to get a better view. Then went to spots I thought looked best, found places to hide boat...

Again, I wasn't clear. I am not talking about hunting in the blind. I am talking about getting up early, setting up in that cove in my boat with the pop up blind I built.

All good friend. I hope you have a great season.
beast mode on
recoil slinger
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:23 pm

I don't know about west of the road but over on the shore the locals build blinds and bait them and only hunt them in the afternoon on a week day , they could care less who hunts them in the morning .

:yes: LD :eek:
A Market Hunter born 100 years to late
:)/\__________<*)((((>{
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
http://www.vawfa.org
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:13 pm

LEWDOG wrote:I don't know about west of the road but over on the shore the locals build blinds and bait them and only hunt them in the afternoon on a week day , they could care less who hunts them in the morning .

:yes: LD :eek:

How do you come up with this stuff. Yea that's what we all do here
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:18 am

:lol3:
You dang local you.. ought to be ashamed of yourselves--bunch of heatherns over there :hi:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby imaduckin up north » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:07 am

another quality thread brought to you by the good folks at DHC, please thank our sponsors, obama care, govt shutdown and lewdog
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:25 am

BAHAHAHAHA you guys are funny as all get up but a dang fool to jump into someone's hard work b/c it was done on public waters without laws saying you can't , and yes that means tying up next to them as well . Here where a hunter is willing to put their name and money onto a X is telling the state CPO and other hunters they will obey the state and federal laws of waterfowl hunting . That signed paper does more work then 100 GW's can do each year , b/c it puts the hunter on each X in charge and responsible for a 1000 yards of public water . Bait will always be the best duck call and you can bet that there are float blinders that will sweeten a spot for next weekend , West of the road and East of the bay that no name fixed blind could very well be a sweet spot for no one but the hunter at the time to write up .
OK one thing I did forget to say is I can't say that I have seen a water blind on the shore , all have been in a marsh or on a bump marsh island and then too b/c of no blind laws the shore gets a lot of weekend float hunters.

:fingerpt: LD :fingerhead:
The hardest thing a duck hunter in Va. has to do is to Not read more into the blind laws then what is in black and white . Lewdog 1999
LEWDOG
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:16 am

What did he say? :huh:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:09 am

my head hurts...
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Side by Side » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:32 am

LEWDOG wrote:BAHAHAHAHA you guys are funny as all get up but a dang fool to jump into someone's hard work b/c it was done on public waters without laws saying you can't , and yes that means tying up next to them as well . Here where a hunter is willing to put their name and money onto a X is telling the state CPO and other hunters they will obey the state and federal laws of waterfowl hunting . That signed paper does more work then 100 GW's can do each year , b/c it puts the hunter on each X in charge and responsible for a 1000 yards of public water . Bait will always be the best duck call and you can bet that there are float blinders that will sweeten a spot for next weekend , West of the road and East of the bay that no name fixed blind could very well be a sweet spot for no one but the hunter at the time to write up .
OK one thing I did forget to say is I can't say that I have seen a water blind on the shore , all have been in a marsh or on a bump marsh island and then too b/c of no blind laws the shore gets a lot of weekend float hunters.

:fingerpt: LD :fingerhead:

I am asking specifically about west of 95.
Side by Side
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:54 pm

OK here's the deal...

Stationary blinds West of 95 on public water are stupid.

FIrst off, it announces to every moron "HEY A DUCK PROBABLY COMES HERE ONCE IN A WHILE".

Second, the spots get burned pretty easily and birds start dodging those spots pretty quickly. So you are better off scouting actual BIRDS than blinds.

I love hearing guys talking about finding a really "good spot" but had no ducks. It could look Claypool's Reservoir but if it has no birds, it's dead water.

Build a good boat blind and I bet you can find better spots than the stationary blinds that are out there and you can move with the ducks.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby Side by Side » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:18 pm

Mudgun wrote:OK here's the deal...

Stationary blinds West of 95 on public water are stupid.

FIrst off, it announces to every moron "HEY A DUCK PROBABLY COMES HERE ONCE IN A WHILE".

Second, the spots get burned pretty easily and birds start dodging those spots pretty quickly. So you are better off scouting actual BIRDS than blinds.

I love hearing guys talking about finding a really "good spot" but had no ducks. It could look Claypool's Reservoir but if it has no birds, it's dead water.

Build a good boat blind and I bet you can find better spots than the stationary blinds that are out there and you can move with the ducks.

As I said at the beginning, Found spot and ducks first, then found blind. Did not ask about using blind. Asked about hunting the spot in my boat with pop up blind on it.

My question is if I get there first and guy(s) that built show up. I hunt to relax, not get in stressful situation where everyone has a twelve gauge. That said, I think it is wrong for some to try to claim an area like this.
Side by Side
hunter

Postby Mudgun » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Oh yeah. Hunt it. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.
NOW WITH MORE 100% MORE VITRIOLIC SARCASM!!!
Mudgun
hunter

Postby LEWDOG » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Yep , legal to hunt in and or near . Yep , legal to build blind on public water just like it is legal to build tree stand in public woods . Yep , good bet owner will one day fuss with someone .
Funny thing about duck hunting some enjoy sitting in a good blind almost as much as shooting a limit .

:hammer: LD :grooving:
LEWDOG
hunter

Return to Virginia Duck Hunting