Year of the "Grand Passage"????

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Year of the "Grand Passage"????

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:54 am

I'm wondering if it will happen this season with the late nesting on the breeding grounds and the delayed migration of teal. I wonder how it has affected other species? Might we see a mass migration when all the fledgling young of the year finally have flight feathers? Thoughts?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Year of the "Grand Passage"????

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:56 am

Indaswamp wrote:I'm wondering if it will happen this season with the late nesting on the breeding grounds and the delayed migration of teal. I wonder how it has affected other species? Might we see a mass migration when all the fledgling young of the year finally have flight feathers? Thoughts?

You may be right. It is strange to not see the numbers of teal like post seasons.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:58 am

Indaswamp wrote:I'm wondering if it will happen this season with the late nesting on the breeding grounds and the delayed migration of teal. I wonder how it has affected other species? Might we see a mass migration when all the fledgling young of the year finally have flight feathers? Thoughts?

I don't know that that applies to our flyway, at least this season.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:00 am

QH's Paw wrote:

I don't know that that applies to our flyway, at least this season.

this was one of the shortest summers in the arctic north ever recorded.....temperature wise anyways....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:00 am

Dont know.
I witnessed a GP in '99 at Clinton Lake.
Blizzards came all the way to a line just north of Champaign.
There were 100k greenheads staying in the hot water discharge canal. Clinton is a nuclear power plant cooling lake.
I killed limits daily. Then on Thanksgiving day they all left. Watched Vee after Vee after Vee...all morning.
I called at em for a solid two hours. Finally said eff it, we're done here.
It was 80 degrees that day. I was sad. :mad:

This is one of those ducks.
1381064545543.jpg

Shot on 11-11-99

I shot 42 mallards by Thanksgiving.
1381064583877.jpg
Last edited by aunt betty on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:03 am

aunt betty wrote:

Dont know.
There were 100k greenheads staying in the hot water discharge canal. Clinton is a nuclear power plant cooling lake.
I killed limits daily. Then on Thanksgiving day they all left. Watched Vee after Vee after Vee...all morning.

so the last one was '99....couldn't remember when that was.

Anyone remember when they shut down airports for hours because migrating waterfowl were showing up on radar? It happened in the 80's, I just don't remember the exact year.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:08 am

BTW...check out that tail wind!!!
http://hint.fm/wind/
:yes:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:09 am

Indaswamp wrote:
aunt betty wrote:

Dont know.

Anyone remember when they shut down airports for hours because migrating waterfowl were showing up on radar? It happened in the 80's, I just don't remember the exact year.

Might have been 98. As you see on that branch I wrote 10-11-98 but then corrected the 98 to 99.
No way I shot it on 10-11.. mistake. Had to be.
Our season opens around Halloween.
My record keeping is terrible.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:10 am

Indaswamp wrote:BTW...check out that tail wind!!!

Thats pretty sweet
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:24 am

Indaswamp wrote:BTW...check out that tail wind!!!

Oh nooooooo. They're all funelling directly to Jehler. Next year we're going to have all kinds of hybrid mutant midget ducks
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:04 am

All I know is May/June there were still a lot of ducks right here in Southern Illinois. I'm not sure when they left but our high water kept them here in the weeds a lot later than usual. Normally, March is just about it for the return here, sometimes a little into April.

There was a year in the 90's I'm guessing 98 that the geese came back by the hundreds of thousands after a huge snow/freeze to the north. We destroyed the geese and the season was shut down early. Lots of bands and park geese. Dumbasses were walking around with us while we were picking up decoys. Strange.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:06 am

In 92 or 93 we had an extraordnary amount of ducks suddenly show up. I believe our limit was 3 those years and we didn't even put a dent in them.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:26 am

Is that where the ducks fly south then make a left turn and fly towards Georgia?
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:23 pm

I'm tellin ya, a LOT more in MN than in past years from what I have seen. I've been shooting, or at least shooting at, bwt and gwt each weekend.

Maybe the weather, maybe the later hatch...don't know but I have no complaints.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby possumfoot » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
aunt betty wrote:

Dont know.

1989.. the year of the goose..

huge migrations i can think of were 89, 91, 96, 99, 2001, 2006.. then a teal migration the likes i have never seen in 2011.. saw a green wing migration last season.. they showed up right before sunset by the 10's of thousands.. huge rain front, so i could not see far, but we saw TONS.. the next morning, we did not kill a teal.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:47 pm

Just got back from our youth hunt. It was unreal how many BWT are still here. I cant ever remember big flocks of them in October like seen today. Also large numbers of mallards. This time of year is always stacked with woodies, just seems backwards.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:52 pm

t_baker wrote:Just got back from our youth hunt. It was unreal how many BWT are still here. I cant ever remember big flocks of them in October like seen today. Also large numbers of mallards. This time of year is always stacked with woodies, just seems backwards.

The kiddos get to shoot any?
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:52 pm

t_baker wrote:Just got back from our youth hunt. It was unreal how many BWT are still here. I cant ever remember big flocks of them in October like seen today. Also large numbers of mallards. This time of year is always stacked with woodies, just seems backwards.

And we ain't got shiz down here

tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Blackmallard40 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:18 pm

I have heard from several of my hunting friends that the 98-99 season was awesome. I hunt with a lot of older gentleman.
Blackmallard40
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:54 pm

Has been awhile since witnessed. Agree with 99. Was hunting Ne La around Christmas. Shot em good for 3 days. Can especially remember 1 day wave after wave of ducks all morning all kinds straight out the north. Shot one of most memorable limits. 24 mallards(2 hens - mistake) 6 pintail drakes and 6 widgeon drakes no telling how many could of shot passed on everything else had teal by the hundreds buzzing with gadwall and blackjacks. After the hunt just hung out watched the skies couple hours sippin whiskey. Hope your right swamp!
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:57 pm

though if that happens will will likely miss it.. we don't open till thanksgiving day...
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Botiz630 wrote:

The kiddos get to shoot any?

They did well. I threw a post in the 3mpt. Limited on woodies, 4 mallards, 1 BWT and 1 mallard decoy. 3 Boys total. Waiting on pics from the dads. I forgot my phone in my truck, they took quite a few in the blind.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Good job Baker, good on ya for getting them out there.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby grizz18 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:51 pm

I've seen a pretty decent # of teal here, maybe not as many as last year but not by much. I know there are decent amt N NC as well..
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Must be using the Appalachian Flyway, 'cause they're still mighty spotty here.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole