Training older dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Training older dog

Postby Duckdaddy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:15 am

I have a 3 1/2 year old Golden Ret. who is great at dove hunting. I have just lost the greatest black lab a hunter could ask for after 13 years of hunting with her. I am thinnking about trying to get my Golden to duck hunt. ANy suggestions on how to introduce him to it. Water is not a problem, he just never had a duck in his mouth or been able to sit stilll.
It's all about the D's: Duck, Dove, Deer
Duckdaddy
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:31 am

First get the solid ob down. They have to be able to sit still. Next start trying to get them to fetch a dead duck. Freeze a small duck and work with it. Should be easy to convert him to a duck dog!

mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby aaron » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:03 pm

You might also try some of the Dead Duck training dummies. My dogs really get excited over these !!
A dog views his master as a God, it is our job to not prove otherwise.
aaron
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:35 pm

thats what i did with my dog just go out a shoot coots like six or so and just play fetch with them to get started then try throwing the bird in the water to make sure thats all good and you should be ready to go my dog was six and i trained him that way but im no expert i can tell you that. so it might not work for you but it would be worth a try
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum