Choke tubes?

This is the Utah duck hunting forum where you are invited to communicate with other hunters like yourself.

Moderator: Spiraleyes

Choke tubes?

Postby huntermem_1 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm looking at buying a new choke tube.
Do you guys have any ideas on why brands and models to get and maybe what to stay away from.
Any help would be great thanks

2013-2014 season

Canada geese 4
Sandhillcranes 2
GWT 5
Mallards 3
Cinnamon teal 2
huntermem_1
hunter

Re: Choke tubes?

Postby blackandwhites » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:24 pm

I am a big fan of Carlson's Chokes. I am not a fan of patternmaster chokes. The patternmaster I had was very picky on which loads it shot well.
blackandwhites
hunter

Postby MAX4Utah » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:53 pm

I second the Carlson's. You can order direct from their site. Lots of choices and good prices.
MAX4Utah
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:35 pm

I have shot many types. I prefer, and have in all of my Berettas, Patternmaster duck or goose chokes. 70% tighter group efficiency. I have loved them. Taken them to Canada next week.
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:40 pm

blackandwhites wrote:I am a big fan of Carlson's Chokes. I am not a fan of patternmaster chokes. The patternmaster I had was very picky on which loads it shot well.

X2 on the Patternmaster chokes. Kicks Highflyers are great chokes for a decent price, I really like my Terror chokes too but they cost a bit more.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby utarchery » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:15 pm

X2, kicks and patternmasters are great! preferably the patternmaster extra full. i had better luck with the two over carlsons and briley. ive shot all types of shells throught my patternmaster and all shoot great through it! i have heard of loads such as the black cloud and 1700FPS remington not shooting good throught them but i later found out that anything faster that 1500FPS doesnt pattern well through any choke. if you ask me, all guns are different so go to cabelas and buy a few different chokes and see what works well with your gun and prefered shells. then take back what you dont want to keep, theyll take anything back!! lol

duckslayer74 wrote:
blackandwhites wrote:I am a big fan of Carlson's Chokes. I am not a fan of patternmaster chokes. The patternmaster I had was very picky on which loads it shot well.

X2 on the Patternmaster chokes. Kicks Highflyers are great chokes for a decent price, I really like my Terror chokes too but they cost a bit more.
utarchery
hunter

Postby hunt4life » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:47 pm

I just bought a .700 Terror choke for my beretta a400. Did a lot of research on various forums before making the decision. Shipping was fast as they are made in Idaho. Only had it for a week but so far I like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
hunt4life
hunter

Postby Bighunter76 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:53 pm

I love my pattermaster it works killer on my set up, but my dad uses a Kicks and it works great for him don't know about Carlsons never used one I would ask what gun is it going on and what are the loads that you use?
Bighunter76

Pro staffer for Scorpion optics
Bighunter76
hunter

Postby sketch21 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:17 am

hunt4life wrote:I just bought a .700 Terror choke for my beretta a400. Did a lot of research on various forums before making the decision. Shipping was fast as they are made in Idaho. Only had it for a week but so far I like it a lot.

How did you get a terror for your a400? I called srm and said they don't make terrors for optima hp.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
sketch21
hunter

Postby blackandwhites » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:25 am

Wack em', stack em', pack em' wrote:I have shot many types. I prefer, and have in all of my Berettas, Patternmaster duck or goose chokes. 70% tighter group efficiency. I have loved them. Taken them to Canada next week.

Have you patterned both Carlson's and PM's ON PAPER? Just checking because your comment sounds like one of their sales pitches.
blackandwhites
hunter

Postby hunt4life » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:52 pm

sketch21 wrote:
hunt4life wrote:I just bought a .700 Terror choke for my beretta a400. Did a lot of research on various forums before making the decision. Shipping was fast as they are made in Idaho. Only had it for a week but so far I like it a lot.

How did you get a terror for your a400? I called srm and said they don't make terrors for optima hp.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I emailed them and asked because I couldn't find it on the sight. They said they made it in a .675 and .700. Called them right up and ordered it over the phone and had it 2 days later. Says optima hp right on it.

Try giving SRM a call again.

hunt4life
hunter

Return to Utah Duck Hunting