Beavertail final attack

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Beavertail final attack

Postby AJCsurf » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:03 am

JustStartin' wrote:It's actually comfortable haha. It looks skinny but is comfortable. Better than laying In my 8 foot kayak!

Here's a pic of it camoed on one side. Had to go to work and didn't finish. Will finish it tomorrow!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381882571.444645.jpg

how you moving it, in the bed of your truck or a trailer? you gonna secure the front otherwise that burlap is gonna unravel as you are driving down the road in the wind if you didn't hem the edges.
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby JustStartin' » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:15 pm

I didn't finish it yet. But I hot glued all the edges. The front will be secure. Trying to finish today.
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby threedogs » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:52 pm

If that burlap is from hunter specialties the first time it gets wet the ink/paint/dye will run . Done that.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Postby Teal slayer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:43 pm

AJCsurf wrote:Its a great little boat. Here's my "naked" set up:
Fully loaded I get 12mph + with the wheels on it.
Water squirts out of that spud pole hole right in front of the cockpit so I gotta go a little slower if there is any chop but for the most part it's a deadly little set up.

And yes, the floor is a little wonky. You feel everything you drive over. In my case, its usually levees and clumps of vegetation. Making a bench seat that spans the opening is a nice addition and it doubles as a back rest support when you are laying out in it.

where do you put the gas tank
Teal slayer
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:29 am

Teal slayer wrote:
Water squirts out of that spud pole hole right in front of the cockpit so I gotta go a little slower if there is any chop but for the most part it's a deadly little set up.

And yes, the floor is a little wonky. You feel everything you drive over. In my case, its usually levees and clumps of vegetation. Making a bench seat that spans the opening is a nice addition and it doubles as a back rest support when you are laying out in it.

Its that black thing on the top of the motor. :thumbsup: It holds 0.9 gallons. My normal run is about 7 miles. I haven't came close to running out yet.
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby Teal slayer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:32 am

AJCsurf wrote:
Teal slayer wrote:

Its that black thing on the top of the motor. :thumbsup: It holds 0.9 gallons. My normal run is about 7 miles. I haven't came close to running out yet.

wow, what type of motor is that? and is that the swamp runner frame kit?
Teal slayer
hunter

Postby Roughneck51 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:36 am

AJCsurf, thats a sweet setup

I'm still trying to decide what i want to push mine with.....?? Outboard or high lb thrust trolling motor. Pros and cons both ways.....want the outboard for the speed, but don't like it because of weight and how high it will stick up......want the troller because it will conseal easily, but don't like it because of less power, and don't want to take up room in the hull with a battery.
Final Attack.JPG
Final Attack.JPG (60.53 KiB) Viewed 576 times
Final Attack 2.JPG
Final Attack 2.JPG (51.73 KiB) Viewed 576 times
Roughneck51
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:35 am

Roughneck51 wrote:AJCsurf, thats a sweet setup

I'm still trying to decide what i want to push mine with.....?? Outboard or high lb thrust trolling motor. Pros and cons both ways.....want the outboard for the speed, but don't like it because of weight and how high it will stick up......want the troller because it will conseal easily, but don't like it because of less power, and don't want to take up room in the hull with a battery.
Final Attack.JPG
Final Attack 2.JPG

If you can back it into the edge of some cover or even a sloped hill with vegetation, you can dissapear pretty good. Damn ducks didn't even know I was there. I can't get out of the boat where I hunt with this thing but heres the dog bringing back a bird on the same type of bank I set up on.

and here's what it looks like when you are in the shade in your boat on the west side of that slope in the am:

The area I'm in is a tidal slough. sometimes I can drive up to the bank, other times its 15 feet of the worst mud (sink to your sack) you've ever been in. The wheels don't really help when driving through the mud but a good push pole and some patience pay their dividends. I haven't had to wait for the tide to come back in yet! :lol3: Also, how the long the tail is helps with using it as a lever and man-handling your boat into and out of position. I wish I could take the wheels off of it but I sorta need em for all the different areas I hunt and their associated launches.
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:48 am

AJCsurf what kind've longtail is that? Did you need to put any more reinforcement on the transom since its only rated for a trolling motor?
muskrat24
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:24 pm

muskrat24 wrote:AJCsurf what kind've longtail is that? Did you need to put any more reinforcement on the transom since its only rated for a trolling motor?

Its a Thai kit (Swamp runner) built by California Mud motors. it is NOT the mud skipper stuff. The SPS/swamprunner transom mount is beefier, has a deeper grab or throat, and also has a zerk fitting for the pivot point for the engine. Its pretty slick.

The only mod I did to it was put a stainless plate on the side the transom bolts touch. I sandwiched it to the transom using the existing through holes on the transom itself using 1/2 or 5/8 hardware. This way, the transom bolts dig into the stainless and don't cut up all the plastic. Since the stainless is fixed to the transom itself, you can counter bore some depressions for the transom bolts. When I lift the boat up into my truck, I grab the block and the tiller handle and lift. :thumbsup:
AJCsurf
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:41 am

Is that the mini or the small kit AJCsurf, and what size hp motor did you use?
muskrat24
hunter

Postby AJCsurf » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:37 am

muskrat24 wrote:Is that the mini or the small kit AJCsurf, and what size hp motor did you use?

7hp predator from California Mud Motors but its the small kit. :thumbsup:
AJCsurf
hunter

Previous

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds