Looking for Ocracoke area guide recommendations

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

Looking for Ocracoke area guide recommendations

Postby saltnbattery » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:38 pm

I have a 2 day hunt booked with Capt. Gary's down east guide service in early January. This will be the second of hopefully many years in a row hunting with Gary. Had a great hunt last year and he's a great guy. I would like to see some different water too. I would really like to hunt a curtain blind. Mainly hoping for good odds on pintails. I'm not dead set on Ocracoke or a curtain blind but that is what I have in my mind. Looking for recommendations on reputable guides. Thanks in advance.
saltnbattery
hunter

Re: Looking for Ocracoke area guide recommendations

Postby NCfowl » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:24 pm

Outerbanks Waterfowl . Capt Vic Berg.... Great guy, grey guides, lot of birds
NCfowl
hunter

Postby Giant Killer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:09 pm

NCfowl wrote:Outerbanks Waterfowl . Capt Vic Berg.... Great guy, grey guides, lot of birds

I hunted w/Vic a few yrs ago. He has a large crew of guides and he places you with one of them prior to the hunt. I would make it known what you are after (pintails) as not all his guides have an area where they're a staple :) I kinda feel like our group got the shaft a little w/guide and hunt area. I think the guys that hunted multi-days with him, he made sure they got some birds by the end of their trip. But, it is what it is. Just my opinion. Make sure you talk w/him and get a feel for what to expect.
Giant Killer
hunter

Postby ncbufflehead » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Great bunch of guys but see post above. And they're not in Ocracoke. Also don't think any of them hunt a curtain box.
ncbufflehead
hunter

Postby BackQuackin » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:11 am

If you are not sold on Ocracoke you could call Kent or Ashley with NC tailfeathers to hunt Hyde Co. Really fun scissor rig hunting.
BackQuackin
Newb

Postby kindervb » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:41 am

I have hunted with Vic and OBX Waterfowl for the last 3 seasons and have already booked a 2 day hunt for early January. When you book just tell them what you want to shoot. Last year I did a 3 day hunt and hunted the first day in Currituck, the second day around the fishing center and Wanchese marsh, and the last day down near Rodanthe I shot limits all 3 days.
kindervb
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting